Badgerland Rules!!!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or make it Joe Balzer. He was always getting checked for his birth certificate, since he looked a lot like me, and plenty of judges, et al, knew that I had aged-out the year before.

Now I'm marching with Joe in RA Alumni. We don't look alike anymore. B)

Edited by Paul Milano

Talk about reunions and July 4th parades,

Every two years in Sheboygan for the 4th of July parade, there is a reunion of of members of the groups mentioned in questions 3 & 4 from Sheboygan plus anybody else who is interested. The group is called Classic Reunion and put together roughly 100 members with a drum section of about 40 people. Nothing very fancy or difficult, but you can hear them from about 3-4 blocks away.

They are the highlight of the parade. This group marched at FishDays in Port Washington 2 years ago and knocked the socks off people watching the parade. Ages are from 18 to the 70's.

uncle Z, you are 80% correct. The one you missed were the Top Hats(Drum and Bell group). Good job!!

Dear uncle z,

Thank you for the very nice present. It was very good.

Since I turned 21 in 1975, I must confess that at the time I was at the Naval Academy (and snare in the USNA D&BC as well) so was out of state to attend the festivities. My kiltie year was 1970 and was unable to participate in the drum corps activity any further due to some, uh, "conflict" with a certain Kenosha high school band director, who shall remain nameless, who believed that I and several others in Plaid had "defected" to "the dark side" which was drum corps.

We were never quite forgiven, and wore the Scarlet Letter (C - for Corps) throughout the remainder of our high school years, shunned and looked down upon by flautists, violinists, bassoonists, and the dreaded clarinetists.

All because we HAD to improve our rudimental skills, become more precise with our notes, work together as one unit, develop our chops like they'd never been before, sacrifice our sacred summer vacations, and bask in the sunshine of standing ovations, tears in the eyes of moms and dads and Alums after Auld Lang Syne, sultry smiles from the female followers of Plaid, and the opportunity to drink PBR before our legal age of 18. Such were the days........

(Actually, we proudly wore the Blue K (Kilties) on our letter sweaters, which tended to upset said band director).

Now here's a thought for my dear uncle: Can anyone refute the fact that Wisconsin had MORE Drum Corps than any other state in America circa 1968-75?

Discuss!

:rolleyes:

WOW!!!

Nobody but UncleZ remembered Annie Mixdorf from PSI. I haven't been around that many years, but I remember her car with the PSI 1 license plate. If memory serves me correctly, I recall her driving an Olds..maybe even a 'Vista Cruiser', for "cruisin' the vistas".

It took me a few minutes to remember the Sheboygan connection with the Blah Stars, but I can remember a former Marquis snare player from Milwaukee that always #####ed about those kids going to LaCrosse instead of staying with the Fond Du Lac-ers.

Does anyone remember when 'Phillip' got ripped off from the Scouts, and they used some strange "Waldo"-esque lion under the podium until they went out and got a new Phillip? Somewhere around 76 or 77?

Eau Claire had THREE corps? I only rmember the Boys, and the Sundowners..

Guess I ain't old enuff.

Pat

...you will be transported back to 1975...

(Ah, ####, let's extend it south to include the OLHR Queensmen and the AmbassaDears).

Gotta call you on this one, too.

OLHR Queensmen were absorbed by the Chrome Domes in 1970. Their feeder corps, the Queensmen Squires disbanded.

By 1975, the AmbassaDears had already morphed into the New Day, and the AmbassaDears' feeder corps, the AmbassaDoes, had morphed into the New Dawn.

But you hit the nail on the head when you said "Badgerland Rules"!

fastbreak, post the years that you marched and let uncle z guess if he knows you!

I totally forgot about the Top Hats!! Remember the Sheboygan MWCGC guard

shows in Feb., and how intermission used to be totally filled with drum solos

and corps standstills?? b**bs

goalieguy, I can remember to this day being at a winter camp in IL for '79

Blue Stars and having a certain ex-Marquis snare player from Milwaukee show up

to see about marching for the summer. Never saw him again after that. I guess

he still held a grudge.

2) Phillip

OMG b**bs, I remember Phillip! What ever happened to the ol' Boy anyway?

Oh and BTW, Wisconsin was to this California Chickie and I know many others from SCV during the '70s, THE place to be for Drum Corps... Besides the fact that the drinking age was 18 and there was a neighborhood bar on just about every corner, the people were great and the state absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the cool accent which we always tried to imitate to no avail...

Edited by MsBusDriver

2) Phillip

OMG , I remember Phillip! What ever happened to the ol' Boy anyway?

I saw Phillip in Scott's house in 1998...hm.. i' ll have to ask him where it is now.