Membership Fees

Can anyone figure out how much of today's tour fees are inflation??

It'd be really interesting to see the rate of inflation. For comparision, this year to march I am paying about $1500 for dues and food, $40 dollars a camp for 7 months ($280), uniform parts for $85, and find 20 sponsors for a car wash or donate $170. So assuming I find 20 sponsors for a car wash so I don't have to donate the extra 170, that's $1865. Start adding driving costs and summer spending money and it's easy to look around the $2500 mark for the season. Anyways, I don't know how to figure out inflation, anyone able to help?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember what the actual dues were. I know I spent $700 to march Sky Ryders in 1985 and $800 in 1997. I didn't march 1986 and 1988 because I was flat broke and my parents wouldn't give me the money. I marched corps the old fashioned way, I eeeaarned it.

• 2 weeks later...

My first year (1978), dues were $75. My age-out year (1988), dues were $450, but there was a $25 discount for each year you had marched with the corps, and there was a camp fee of something like $20.

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryders, Rivermen, and Blue Knights (MN)

Did you guys live in the dorms at Hutch Junior College in 88? We did in 87 and that did cost some extra money, although, it was real convenient and kept the bulk of the corps together.

My last year was in 1978, our dues were $ 30.00/month and tour fees four three weeks were $ 200.00. I don't remember being charged for camps at all, were had to buy our own shoes at about $ 35.00, that was it!!!! b**bs

In 1974 when I started marching, dues were $75. There were no winter camp fees or tour fees. We had to buy our own white bucks ($50 maybe) and white gloves. We traveled on brand new tour buses each year, ate out at restaurants for most of our meals which we paid for as we went. Along with souvies, snacks, film and other items, I believe my total amount spent for the year was less than $500.

By the time I aged out in 81, the dues were $175, we still had to buy our own shoes and gloves, and there was a small tour fee to help cover our meals, which were provided by the corps. So once again, after all spending for the year was accounted for, it was still around $500 for the season.

By the way, that was with the Blue Stars and I was a local. I did not have to pay for winter camp travel and other extra expenses as did my friends who came up from the south and the surrounding states.

So throw an inflation multiplier of 4% ($1,250 in 2004) in there or another one of your choosing and I think you will find it will be similar to today's $'s.

My son is now with the Blue Stars. We live in Texas, so he does have the winter travel which I don't include in my estimate. Dues for the 2004 season are $750. Along with his spending money and winter camp fees (they don't apply if you pay your dues up front) are in line with the inflation from years past.

That's about are real world as I can get.

450 Dollars in 83 and 450 dollars in 84. I do not remember there being any camp fees, but it was a long time ago.

81 Blue Devils $175

82 Blue Devils $200

83 Blue Devils $300??

84 Blue Devils $450

85 Blue Devils $500

May not be exact, but pretty close to those numbers.

Hey Rob,

It was $250 in 83....

Key