Best Friends in Drum Corps...

Out of all the kids I marched with in my ten years n drum corps, I would say I had

five really close friends back then. Now four have moved away after they got married and come back from time to time and we get together. What happens to relationships after your drum corps career is finished. Do they just fade away or is it that the really good friendships have a tendency to stay intact. How many of us

can honestly say you have developed lasting, give them the shirt off your back

friendships. Like a lot of us it's simply because you lose touch, not that their not your friend anymore. I guess it's like a lot of things in life, here one day, gone the next. There were a few people that I didn't like in drum corps, we all have those however, as a marching member in the corps I was in, I respected every last one of them and still do to this day. I just wish I would have made more close friends while I had the chance. :wall:

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny that you brought that up though I have thought about it from time to time. All of my friends are from D&B corps. I can't remember anyone that I went to school with. Just shadows. I have a friend from my drum and bugle corps days that I've been through just about everything with and I do mean everything. our friendship started 30 years ago and has continued to this day. there use to be five of us from that corps. that were very tight. We were called "The Wrecking Crew" for reasons I will not go into here. Eventually the other four went their own ways for their own reasons and I wish them the best as always. Paul and I still talk as though it was 30 years ago howver, we do throw in an occasional ache or pain.LOL

I would have to say that drum corps. teaches us about responsibility though and those of us that do end up out of drum and bugle corps. with a family end up using those teachings everyday. Its not that we forget our very dear friends but it sometimes is impossible to find the time or coordinate a re-union of sorts because everyones schedules are so full. I believe it doesn't mean that we don't think about one another, but we do have others usually to fill the void.

I still keep in touch with a couple people from Freelancers. Due to the recent explosion of the senior corps movement in California is that I have gotten reaquainted with people I haven't seen in years. Last year, I joined River City Regiment, in Sacramento and was able to become friends with a lot of people I marched with in junior corps. RCR was like a '91 Freelancers reunion. There were some eight people in the corps with whom I had marched.

I kept in touch with one of my roomates for about a year, then we basically stopped writing. Now with the internet I find that I've been talking with some people now than I ever did when I was IN BD (JBL and BD5Times for example)

I have several friends from both of the drum and bugle corps that I marched with that I remain in contact with, however, I have one very good friend, David Pressley, who has stuck by me through thick and thin since 1983. That is a friend for life. Both of us have married drum corps people as well, which makes our friendship remain, because our spouses are cool with it and they have become friends. I also see the man who got me started in drum corps at one of the shows he does in Kennesaw, GA, Robin Wofford. We go back to High School in 1982 when he was a student conductor at our band. I also remain very close with the Bonfiglio family since I lived with them some when I was an out of stater and marched in 27. They are like my extended family. So yes, I think drum corps makes friends for life, and family as well.

One of the sops in the opening trio for the Dons in '85 was my best friend then and still still is today. He's also the Godfather of my oldest son and lead trumpet with Los Hooligans (which also includes a snare from '84 Dons and a BD sop from 89).

Since joining the Renegades, I've been reaquainted (sp?) with old VF friends.

Kurt and I hung out in drum corps. We marched three years, two corps, and next to eachother all three years. I was his best man and he was mine. Through all the successful relationships, the not so successful relationships, bachelor parties, professional accomplishments and failures, everything, we've kept in touch and we continue to talk daily.

I swear if he were a her, we'd be married.

I occasionally see people I marched with and we always pick up where we left off. The experience of marching, competing, struggling, and accomplishing just creates a special bond between people.

Isn't funny how you can go through all 12 years of school and college with someone and really don't know them like you would with people in corps for just a few years?

I supposed in school, you didn't have the chance to be around them 24/7 ....sleeping, eating, showering, laughing and crying together.

When they say drum corps is like one big family, they aren't kidding! I am fortunate to have been involved with a corps that gets together annually in Allentown.

I have met some wonderful people in this organization and stayed in contact with them since I aged out.

Also through various drum corps forums I've met some very special people as well.....people who share the same passion that I have or who can relate to the history. Thank God for the Internet! :P

I have at least a dozen close friends from my drum corps days (dating back over 40 years now), whom I stay in regular touch with, and visit at least once every year or two (even though we are spread all over the country).

We've married each other's brothers and sisters (and sometimes former boyfriends and girlfriends!), become godparents to each other's kids, started companies together, found jobs for each other, bailed each other out financially, spiritually, and emotionally.

My life would have been near pointless without these great friends . . .

I m still friends with quite a few people Ive marched with over the years. :)