Over-Aged Marchers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend from high school was telling me that Garfield and SCV called his dad up when he was 24 wanting him to march.  He simply told him that he was way too old.  Their response was "we have ways to work around that."  This had to be around the mid-80's.  He didn't march with them because he already had a kid by that time and was wanting to finish college.

I don't know if I'd buy the story. I marched SCV in the mid-80s with the forms I had to fill out and present my birth certificate for their records, I just don't see someone getting a call like that.

I agree - that is absolutely false.

yea, that's something to 'stick your chest' out about.

DUDE!!! Did you ever join Renegades?? I remember you from last year talking about it...

As for my overage story, I've been pretty public on DCP about my disgust finding out shortly after 87 that the Bikini Girl was over age...25 I believe she told me. Really made me mad at the time because I thought there was a way that DCI could revoke our 7th place tie with Star that year. She fooled us somehow...

I know of someone in 2000 who was overage that marched a "fan favorite" corps.

I always wondered if the sop in Madison's 1979-'81 corps was overage.....the guy was balding on top!  :silly:

So, THIS is where you hang out when Sound Machine's down.

I know the soprano you're talking about, and I think he marched with Madison in 1982 after marching several years with the Guardsmen. I don't believe he was overage - just prematurely bald. He looked the same way in 1979 with the Guardsmen. Man, could that gut play in the stratosphere!

The Kilts had a drum major in 1978 who also was prematurely bald and got lots of looks from folks. I think his last name was Puntillo.

On the bald guy from Madison...

I work with college student who already has less hair than my half century old father. It's possible that he was prematurely balding...

1989 SCV has 2 holes at finals because it was discovered that there were 2 overage members in the corps.

Yeah, that's true. I marched 89 Vanguard, and one of the guys marched right next to me almost the entire show.

They were two guys from England that had appearently falsified their passports. I lived with them during daily rehearsals and didn't even know a thing about it!

DCI thought about disqualifying us that year, but since no one in the corps knew about it, they just let us march the holes instead. One was a snare hole that we closed-up in the drill, the other was a french horn hole (that, obviously, I had to march next to).

Because of this, I have a real difficult time believing that story about SCV in the mid 80s and that purported response to the 24 year old. I think he's pulling someones leg. Gail Royer would never allow anyone to tarnish Vanguard's reputation like that.

how hard would it be today to overage march?

could I just scan my birth certificate and edit it?

would DCI sue me or something?

DCI may not sue you, but, they may have a hard time holding back the rest of your Corps from *ahem* having a little "chat" with you if they were to find out.

I remember hearing about Gail telling those overaged cruds that they better get out of town before the rest of the Corps found out that they had fooled them. We stopped by where SCV was staying finals week and he was absolutley livid with those guys and it tore my heart out seeing the hurt in his eyes because of what those two pulled. He knew full well the agony the rest of "His Kids" would have experienced if DCI had decided to DQ SCV. It would have devastated him.

Why anyone would want to possibly ruin the Corps that they supposedly "love" and have to be a part of no matter the consequenses is beyond me.

Edited by MsBusDriver