Over-Aged Marchers

I have heard rumors about corps marching over-aged members and getting away with it. I was wondering if anyone has actually witnessed it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, in the early seventies I knew of a number of folks who were over-age and still marching. Typically they aged-out of higher echelon corps, and then marched a couple more years with a smaller, local corps, where they served as quasi-instructors.

Other times folks went from the west coast to the east coast (or vice versa), since no one would know them, to get an extra year - and the "flavor" of a different region.

And I knew of a couple in one of my own corps who "hung around" an extra year, or who jumped in for a show or two here and there.

None of this was "right," but in the cases I personally witnessed, it never had any marked effect on competitiveness, or getting a corps into Finals, etc. Therefore, I didn't feel compelled to "rat" on them. I left it to their own conscience . . .

I hear ya Paul, let's face it, if you didn't "hear" about someone being overaged, can you physically tell the difference between a 21 year old and a 25 year old? :o

I hear ya Paul, let's face it, if you didn't "hear" about someone being overaged, can you physically tell the difference between a 21 year old and a 25 year old? :o

Not when it came to the east-coasters. Those guys were all shaving in the womb, so the difference between 21 and 25 was insignificant.

It was only when their 10-year old kids were hanging onto their uniform sashes that we really started to wonder! B)

A friend from high school was telling me that Garfield and SCV called his dad up when he was 24 wanting him to march. He simply told him that he was way too old. Their response was "we have ways to work around that." This had to be around the mid-80's. He didn't march with them because he already had a kid by that time and was wanting to finish college.

Edited by Jam_man_tpt

"Overage Marching Members":

A very good friend of ours, marching in a New York City parish corps was pulled from the inspection line (this is pre-DCI)and carded by the director of a rival "Circuit" unit.

As it turned out he was "legal" (under 21). However, both hornplayers marching next to him were VERY illegal, being "slightlty" over the 'max' (23 & 25), and marched in a senior corps as well. They were never bothered.

I gues he just "looked" old....

Elphaba

A friend from high school was telling me that Garfield and SCV called his dad up when he was 24 wanting him to march. He simply told him that he was way too old. Their response was "we have ways to work around that." This had to be around the mid-80's. He didn't march with them because he already had a kid by that time and was wanting to finish college.

I don't know if I'd buy the story. I marched SCV in the mid-80s with the forms I had to fill out and present my birth certificate for their records, I just don't see someone getting a call like that.

• 2 months later...