Info for the Red Carpet Association

Ah....the Milton connection!

JimF, that's just upstream a piece (a big piece), wunst.

Jeff and Jim: I think Templin and a few others (I remember a rifle guy named Gelaze) got themselves to Hbg. then rode the rest of the way to York with the Toomey clan (and Cathy F.) What a crew!

Jim: There are actually "old" guys from York still able to march!!!

I can still "critique/blather."

So was the guy you reminisced with Wales, Simmons, KB....or Foss?

Be well, you two. See ya.

Steve

WS- 1st tymp line (w/Gary H, Kurt ?) - Zarfoss instructor

WS- snare 71 w/ Satch, Skee, Tom R and Steve M - Zarfoss instructor

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah....the Milton connection!

JimF, that's just upstream a piece (a big piece), wunst.

Jeff and Jim: I think Templin and a few others (I remember a rifle guy named Gelaze) got themselves to Hbg. then rode the rest of the way to York with the Toomey clan (and Cathy F.) What a crew!

Jim: There are actually "old" guys from York still able to march!!!

I can still "critique/blather."

So was the guy you reminisced with Wales, Simmons, KB....or Foss?

Be well, you two. See ya.

Steve

WS- 1st tymp line (w/Gary H, Kurt ?) - Zarfoss instructor

WS- snare 71 w/ Satch, Skee, Tom R and Steve M - Zarfoss instructor

Steve, just kidding about where the #### is Milton. Most of the talk 'bout Milton was where the heck did all the corps members come from as you can sneeze twice and miss the town. :P After some of the Keystoners joined Westshoremen, the Bucknell show turned into a "home town" show. Think it was the first time I saw people cheer us on during practice. :silly:

Next parade I'll try to get the name of the person I talked to. He carries the pike in the Honor Guard but I don't know what he might have played before. If KB plays Bari then I know who he is but as a "rookie" I'm still learning names and histories. And MAN is there some history with some of these guys.

PS - One of the names I do know is that Bob Zarfoss fellow. He's not marching but he was out in the rain with the rest of us working with the drum line. ^OO^

wow, Tom R. I tauht w/one of his kids last year.

Terry Martin was from Mifflinburg Jim. one of his calssmates ended up being my middle school band director. he's now the Sr high director at Miff and helps run the Lewisburg show

As a matter of fact, I have a recording from 1973 RCA Championships.....Includes Hanover Lancers, Pittsburgh Rockets, Syracuse Brigadiers and Royalaires.......

I think it may also be available on DCI's website.......I may be wrong on that one....

Dan Jones (dljones@columbus.gov)

Snare Line

Rockets

Dunkirk Patriots

Maumee Demons

Angels of Ohio (Bellefontaine, Oh)

I'm sure this has been settled as I haven't worked my way through the entire thread but here goes. . .

The York White Roses were, for a long time, a junior corp from York, Pa. competing against the likes of Blue Rock, an excellent early junior corps. Paul Titel, a great friend of mine was a member and I believe instructor at one point. I believe Skip (ahhhhh heck, what is Skip's last name) was a member and instructor. Rich Templin was a member. . .maybe even Bill Toomey, though I'm not quite as sure about Bill. Anyhow, definitely York, Pa.

Wow. . .I was right!

And some great memories. . .I had forgotten the Keystoners and those pink unis. How could I ever forget them.

And yes, it is the bearded wonder but I'm not sure most would refer to me in such exalted terms!!! :silly:

Right on "Wild Bill" and Templin, Jeff, but.....AL Post 127 of York, PA, sponsored a senior corps that competed at least as early as the 1950s. I remember seeing some of their shows which included Reilly, Archie, Hawthorne, YR, Pittsburgh and others around 56-59. Around 1960, with interest waning, they formed the junior corps. In addition to those guys, York also had a couple "good" sopranos like Ritchee Price, Dave Hughes among others. The consistently good drum line, topped all juniors and seniors at 1964 AL states. The corps won PA VFW & AL championships 67-69. The draft took a high toll and the corps folded in the early 70s.

Steve

That's right! Ritchee played with them! I marched with a guy (played bells for Westshore in either 79 or 80, the name Craig sticks in my mind, but it's not clear) that marched with him in YWR who introduced me to him years back.

I also marched Hershey with Chuck (forget his last name..but he was the third guy in the trio with Ritchee & Jimmy C...Rook should remember him..was it Wilson???) who mentioned that Ritchee said he played in York.

Hard to believe Templin ever actually MARCHING! hahaha!!! "LOCK ROLL LOCK ROLL!!!" hahahaha!!! Who gave him that #### bull horn anyway!!!!

Steve F.....I'm sorry you took that comment as a compliment. It was really intended to be a quick swipe at ya! Try to remember - (no, not the song), the years 70 and 71 at WSBS. Do the words tymp and outsiders ring any bells for ya? Try reaaaallllll hard...you should know me ...or maybe it was one of your brothers I knew best. My recollection is the Fillipelli with a fixation on JC Superstar... and oh, yeah, a beard.

Benb...most of us had a hard time seeing Templin marching - AND playing - at the same time...and we were there! Our watching was almost as hard as the doing was for him! I can vouch that he didn't have the megaphone while doing Danville!

Re. York's horns etc., I'd gone into the USAF by the time Ritchee (and the hornline) was really coming on but there was a Denny Mumford that was in the solo group and I don't remember who else by then...Craig just doesn't ring a bell.

As for York guys that went to WSBS....not many of us did. Zarfoss got two of us to come create a tymp line for him in 70, but even then there were no bells players, so I can't help you with the bells guy from YWR in the late 70s. Gary Hamme (SD, YWR) departed after a year (70) on tymps, I stayed another year (but switched to SD) while Foss was writing / teaching. A trips player, Randy Christie, was there for a short while too with Foss. Someone mentioned Paul Titel. He left York Jrs. after several years to go to Flowers' DL with the Bucs around 67 or 68, then came back to teach YWR drumline around 70 till they folded.

Billie Toomey and Templin, I think, stayed on, I don't know how much longer.

Hershman, having attempted drumline and hornline, was yet to find his real niche in corps!

It's fun reading about the great times you guys had at WS when they were climbing to and at the top. Some good fun was had, though, even in those early tough years; it was just a bit harder to make!

later,

Steve

Edited by sky

I'm sure this has been settled as I haven't worked my way through the entire thread but here goes. . .

The York White Roses were, for a long time, a junior corp from York, Pa. competing against the likes of Blue Rock, an excellent early junior corps. Paul Titel, a great friend of mine was a member and I believe instructor at one point. I believe Skip (ahhhhh heck, what is Skip's last name) was a member and instructor. Rich Templin was a member. . .maybe even Bill Toomey, though I'm not quite as sure about Bill. Anyhow, definitely York, Pa.

Skip Groff. He still teaches drill at hempfield

Steve F.....I'm sorry you took that comment as a compliment. It was really intended to be a quick swipe at ya! Try to remember - (no, not the song), the years 70 and 71 at WSBS. Do the words tymp and outsiders ring any bells for ya? Try reaaaallllll hard...you should know me ...or maybe it was one of your brothers I knew best. My recollection is the Fillipelli with a fixation on JC Superstar... and oh, yeah, a beard.

Benb...most of us had a hard time seeing Templin marching - AND playing - at the same time...and we were there! Our watching was almost as hard as the doing was for him! I can vouch that he didn't have the megaphone while doing Danville!

Re. York's horns etc., I'd gone into the USAF by the time Ritchee (and the hornline) was really coming on but there was a Denny Mumford that was in the solo group and I don't remember who else by then...Craig just doesn't ring a bell.

As for York guys that went to WSBS....not many of us did. Zarfoss got two of us to come create a tymp line for him in 70, but even then there were no bells players, so I can't help you with the bells guy from YWR in the late 70s. Gary Hamme (SD, YWR) departed after a year (70) on tymps, I stayed another year (but switched to SD) while Foss was writing / teaching. A trips player, Randy Christie, was there for a short while too with Foss. Someone mentioned Paul Titel. He left York Jrs. after several years to go to Flowers' DL with the Bucs around 67 or 68, then came back to teach YWR drumline around 70 till they folded.

Billie Toomey and Templin, I think, stayed on, I don't know how much longer.

Hershman, having attempted drumline and hornline, was yet to find his real niche in corps!

It's fun reading about the great times you guys had at WS when they were climbing to and at the top. Some good fun was had, though, even in those early tough years; it was just a bit harder to make!

later,

Steve

didn't randy end up at Yankee rebels?