i just watched star 93

Actually, when I saw it for the first time (at Drums Along the Rockies a mere 2 weeks before finals having no prior knowledge as to what was going on that year, back in the internetless days *ugh*), I guess I didn't feel a need to get it.

I suppose I just saw the show and saw superior performance quality...

I was actually surprised when the Cadets snapped Star's undefeated streak that night, and I was surprised again 2 weeks later when the Cadets were announced as the champions.

I remember thinking "Watch, the Cadets got a 97.4" less than a second before Brandt Crocker read off the number :P

At the time, I was actually rooting for the Cadets....seems like the biggest point discrepancy was in Field Visual.

At the risk of putting this thread on a tangent, I'll say this....if ever there were a year that there shoulda been a tie.....

Did I just say the dreaded T-word? Yep, I did....both shows were great and performed to the utmost that night.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the showdown at DATR also - and was just as shocked to see Cadets win that night - they had just stuck in the new ending to their show - the big crown at the end of their 93 production and it was a sloppy mess. Star ran all over that field that night - gave an AMAZING performance - stirred up a dust-storm of chalk from the yard lines. The finished the show in a cloud of lime. Too cool.

I saw the showdown at DATR also - and was just as shocked to see Cadets win that night - they had just stuck in the new ending to their show - the big crown at the end of their 93 production and it was a sloppy mess. Star ran all over that field that night - gave an AMAZING performance - stirred up a dust-storm of chalk from the yard lines. The finished the show in a cloud of lime. Too cool.

George, are you in this area? I ask because....I"m going to the finals!!!!!

woohoo!

I'm hoping Invesco is acoustically friendly to Tom Blair and friends when they produce the CDs and DVDs.

It's gotta be better than Orlando and Jackson :worthy:

Correct Sue, many times things only appear good in retrospect

well - put me down as one of the rare birds who "got it" at the time.

Yeah. Maybe I travelled in the wrong circles at the time (I was only 19) but I really don't remember the hostility. My buds and I thought it was pretty great basically right off the bat. And I sort of remember the crowd response being fairly enthusiastic, too. Am I nuts or did I just see 'em at the "wrong" show?

Never said classical music was boring. In fact I find much of it is exciting and wonderful when translated to the DC enviorment. The current SCV show is a perfect example! In fact go back over thirty years and listen to 73 SCV's opener. However in todays enviorment it seems the more obscure the better. The charts seem to picked not on their overall public appeal, but only if they appeal to the music majors. Most of it sounds as if it came out of technique books. Lots of difficult runs, very little melody... in other words BORING! If DC ever wants to grow, ( I'll wager there are no more fans today than there were thirty years ago. Maybe less.), it needs to realize that it is in the entertainment business.

I'll venture a guess that DCI is in the EDUCATIION business first and foremost. Let's face it, if a corps wants to do something that hasn't been done before, they have to look outside the box. Otherwise, we get 2 or 3 Malaguena shows every year. If you're in the camp that likes to hear the same thing rehashed in new ways then please disregard my post. I'll go ahead and rehash something I've already said here: "Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused a riot the first time it was played because it was so 'obscure.' Even Mozart was criticized for his disregard for convention."

Thank God some corps have taken chances or we'd still be doing countermarches and playing Sousa. I happen to like these things too as I was a member of the Aggie Band at Texas A&M. I guarantee you that the hard corps lovers of military band would scoff at '73 SCV or anything a drum corps has performed since.

Pick up one of their videos. They are very entertaining, they play lots of melodies you can hum, the crowds loved us and we definitely didn't play with technique: Aggie Band Videos

Hmmmm ... I really don't think DCI is in the music education business, really. Sure, young people learn a lot about life, but they don't really get much of an education, in the formal sense of the word. Being trained to play eleven minutes of music in a particular way and to march eleven minutes of drill is hardly equivalent to taking a music theory class. Learning to play a horn and learning about music are two different things. And I don't see where a good rock or jazz or "Latin" show is of any less value, musically speaking, than a symphonic show. Of course, this is all pretty much off topic.

P.S. I love Star '93, but let's not overdo things here.

Hmmmm ... I really don't think DCI is in the music education business, really.

Gotta agree with you here. Yes, there are good experiences that come from drum corps, but the same could be said of almost any endeavor one attempts in life. DCI is basically the umbrella organization for its member corps. It sets the competitive schedule, and handles many of the practical details--including judging--associated with its contests. And the member corps vote on and determine DCI's competitive structure. No more, no less. The goal of each corps is to create as competitive an 11-minute program as possible within DCI's framework, and hopefully to make sure all the members are well taken care of all along the way. For some corps, there may be a formally structured educational component to what they do. But that's not DCI's business, and it really isn't the mandate of most corps.

Edited by byline

i can agree that start 93 was a superbly performed show, because it was... like many people have said, the corps accomplished what it set out to accomplish going into the season (minus the whole winning the ring thing)...

however, i still don't like the show... i've watched it many times, and it's never really grabbed me... as i said, it's performed well, but it's just not my cup of tea... then again, star never really was.