ALLENTOWN-BD Vs. SCV

Sounds like follow the leader to me.

Your ignorance is showing. He's talking about constant forms that move one direction as a whole. He's right. Its easy to spot technical mistakes in these sets. Unfortunately for SCV, there aren't any.

Thanks, long time listener, first time caller.

Nice first post to DCP - a personal attack. Feel good? Next time you want to post something, remove your head from the seat of your recliner and flip yourself over. Maybe then you won't talk out your as-, butt.

BD has some interesting parts to their drill, but overall there's a ton of follow the leader. If they're not following the leader, they're scattering or filling in the moving gap. A harder move would have them filling in a stationary gap. Imagine inserting a measuring device after the points are set-that's exposure and difficult.

You're right, Vanguard has uninteresting drill and you can't see anything anyone is doing because they don't follow the leader. They take triangles (every point subject to at least two dress points and multiple convergence points) and cut through a pair of rotating parallel lines-all of which should be straight and equally spaced front to back and side to side (I don't know if they are straight or equally spaced-I'm on the left coast and we're force fed early season shows). Then they flip it over and do it again.

Hope you do a better job on your second post. Try and complement someone with a similar view. If you have a different view, there's no need to call names.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the winner is the fan..

The speed, range and contol of the Devils horn line is AWESOME!!! SCV's brass line is like an explosion of sound. I've never been so consistantly blown away on every major impact. It was like getting hit in the head with a 2x4 IMPACTS? WOW!!!

Both drills are great in their own way.. SCV some Vanguard standard moves with added twist. Devils giving us some counter motion and ripple break away sets that are so cool.

The Guards are both excellent, well staged and coordinated through out the productions.... I'd give the edge in Charactor emotion to Chandler's clan at BD.

Drums..... ha I'm clueless.... Devils wide open driving force. Clara tight precission and on the money.

I loved um both and could care less who beat who with a number, just bring them back to PA for one more viewing.... If they're coming your way, Enjoy.

Both shows are entertaining. SCV has more demand. Devils are performing better right now. Such has been the case for as long as I can remember. '99 was classic. BD had the better performances at Championships with a show that lacked SCV's demand. SCV had superior show design and performance rigor with a bit more dirt. Judges basically said "flip a coin." I agreed.

Bottom line, we're seeing a ground swell of support for SCV this year because there are a lot of people who will root for the guy who can maintain his values and integrity while giving the winning-is-the-only-thing guys a run for their money. It's the same dynamic that gets people excited about Princeton making the NCAA basketball tournament or Michigan getting beaten by Northwestern.

For the last two decades, BD's values have been 1) to look cool, and 2) to win. If learning can happen while looking cool and winning...even better. SCV has always been about learning. Learning integrity. Learning partnership and teamwork. Learning tradition and loyalty. If they can win while "doing" learning...even better.

Of course, that's not to say that SCV doesn't want to win and BD staff and members don't want to learn. But the priorities in each organization are different.

Edited by NDNation

B) I probably should keep my big mouth shut here but I feel compelled to say something about BD-vs-SCV. I have been watching both for many years and I do have a favorite but I just think there is a factor that nobody ever talks about. It's probably going to hurt some feelings so I apologize in advance. And it's just my opinion so I'd like to hear from others who might agree with me. BD ALWAYS ALWAYS looks good as it pertains to their uniforms. I never felt that way about SCV. I'm sure they take great pride in thier uniforms but they just don't work for me. It seems a nasty shade of green. I've seen an awful lot of Drum Corps uniforms and for some reason SCV stands out in my mind as one of the least attractive. Again I am sorry to all of you who I know love that uniform and are proud to wear it. It's just one guys opinion and has little or nothing to do with the competition or the performance. I just can't help thinking a snappier look might be good for GE. Oh why did I open this can of worms? God bless every Drum Corps person everywhere. SCV forgive me????

Dan

Ok, I think this might be going a little too far.  I do think there is more demand in SCV's show, but come on I think you are over the top in this assessment.  I guess our local elementary school could be close to as good from your evaluation.  Let's wake up and realize that there is a lot of demand in BD's show.

I was 100% sure no one would pick up on my sarcasm, even though I posted it right after someone basically said BD had an easy show.

I probably should keep my big mouth shut here but I feel compelled to say something about BD-vs-SCV. I have been watching both for many years and I do have a favorite but I just think there is a factor that nobody ever talks about. It's probably going to hurt some feelings so I apologize in advance. And it's just my opinion so I'd like to hear from others who might agree with me. BD ALWAYS ALWAYS looks good as it pertains to their uniforms. I never felt that way about SCV. I'm sure they take great pride in thier uniforms but they just don't work for me. It seems a nasty shade of green. I've seen an awful lot of Drum Corps uniforms and for some reason SCV stands out in my mind as one of the least attractive. Again I am sorry to all of you who I know love that uniform and are proud to wear it. It's just one guys opinion and has little or nothing to do with the competition or the performance. I just can't help thinking a snappier look might be good for GE. Oh why did I open this can of worms? God bless every Drum Corps person everywhere. SCV forgive me????

And I'm gonna go ahead and give you a response to this. SCV's uniforms, although they may not have the greatest coloring, are MUCH more effective thn BD's. Two examples... 1.) when SCV changes from backfield to facing front, it looks like a different band just stepped on the field. 2.) From higher up, Blue Devils look like they are wearing no other color then ALL black. Santa Clara has much more clarity to their uniforms. Much more effective...

i think the look was for your reference word "band"

that's a big no no

Well SCV's guard does not wear the same uniforms... A Guard is a member of the corps, so to say corps would confuse Guard. And I'm too lazy to say Winds and Battery (but not the pit)