Question about older drum corps

I'm kind of new to Drum Corps, my High School band director just introduced me to the world of drum corps a year ago, and I've been fixated ever since. I love listening and watching the older videos. But I do have a question that I noticed from a Madison '81 picture that I found.

http://southwind.org/photos/album/categori.../7107_mad81.jpg

Why is that Corp(or what I believe to be another Corp) in the backround? I heard that there was some sort of rule or regulation, but I'm not sure what it was. It would be nice if somebody would answer my question.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about the Corps on the track, in the olden days, we would start to set up "off the line" either from the end zone (REAL olden days), or the side line which we could start doing I believe in '74. Of course we couldn't go over the lines until the Corps ahead of us was finished (Penalty...Bad). It expediated the process of the show I guess.

What was cool about it was that you got an opportunity to see the last 1/3 of the show of the Corps that was on the field up close and personal. I have alot of favorite "Exits" (Ballads) from the Corps that went on ahead of us.

Also you notice the kids seated in the stands in the Back. We used to be able to go to those "cheap seats" when we were done with our show and enjoy everyone elses. Too Bad DCI doesn't let the kids do that now. Guess it looks too "muddled" on their tapes.

And who would have thought then that from 1 guy and 4 kettle drums up front, we would go to lord knows how many "Pit People" now.

Edited by MsBusDriver

Thanks for the info! That must have been cool being able to actually see other corps perform during the season. I've talked too friends of mine tha are in drum corp now, and they hardly ever get to see the other corps competing.

Didn't realize why the DCI members no longer go to the "cheap seats". Saw a lot of good shows from the back and sides when I marched. Seeing other shows was one of the best parts about competeing.

That's Madison's opening set from the 81 season.

Looking at the picture, the corps in the background is leaving the stadium. Look at the direction of the bass drums. This corps was obviously on before Madison (is this North Star?).

If you get the chance to watch the 81 Scouts...do it! That was a great drum corps! Enteraining and competitive.

Well I've already heard the complete '81 show, so I guess now I'm going have to get the DVD and watch it. I personally already love that version of Malagueña. And I've heard other good things about that show and year(as far as other corps go), so off to buying that DVD I am.

Oh and I'm not sure about that corps in the backround. It is taken from finals, and Madison was third that year, and North Star was 13th. So I'm sure if their scores had anything to do with their order of appearence or not(seeing how 'm too young to know rules of the past).

Edited by dst_134

Didn't realize why the DCI members no longer go to the "cheap seats". Saw a lot of good shows from the back and sides when I marched. Seeing other shows was one of the best parts about competeing.

I agree...do any of you remember penalties for being on the "performance" side? Too bad kids now don't get a chance to see any of the other corps. My daughter just recently joined the pit and is amazed by what she's seeing of the corps prior to her (usually their division), but by the time they load the truck they've missed everyone after them (sometimes Div I). In guard she didn't get to see any corps prior at all....and if lucky a few afterward.

I think they let the current members in on the "performance" side but only if space permits, correct? It's kind of nice because then fans have an opportunity to see a kid in a corps jacket and compliment them direct.

Looks more like Freelancers to me. Probably wrong though.