Question about older drum corps

I think they let the current members in on the "performance" side but only if space permits, correct?  It's kind of nice because then fans have an opportunity to see a kid in a corps jacket and compliment them direct.

When I was in Sr corps the corps was told if the members could sit on the ends of the performance side. If not then backfield was open to watch the show. Did a lot of shows in smaller stadiums so saw a lot standing off the end zone (no seating) which always was an interesting spot to check out drill.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1985-87, we were told in VK that it WAS a penalty to sit in the front side after we performed. I listened and obeyed in 1985 and 86, but in 87, I pressed my luck. Someone snuck me in to the stadium...and I sat with a bunch of band directors from southern California and watched the rest of finals, including the best SCV I've ever seen.

OK just looked it up. in both 81, and 82 North Star went on right before Madison at prelims. so even though we don't know which year it was specifically, North Star was leaving the field after both Madison performances at McGill.

BTW I loved playing at that stadium, Olympic stadium on the other hand, was another story.

OK just looked it up. in both 81, and 82 North Star went on right before Madison at prelims. so even though we don't know which year it was specifically, North Star was leaving the field after both Madison performances at McGill.

BTW I loved playing at that stadium, Olympic stadium on the other hand, was another story.

Agree about the "Big O" (or the Big Owe as we Canadian taxpayers know it). It was a horrible venue to march in. It felt like we were in an underground parking lot.

I also agree about McGill - now called Percival Molson Stadium. That stadium was made for drum corps. As an aside, even the CFL has moved out of the Big O, except for last year's Grey Cup. Thye only tenant left is the Expos and they won't be around for much longer. The city would do itself a favour by blowing that thing up.

Oh and I'm not sure about that corps in the backround. It is taken from finals, and Madison was third that year, and North Star was 13th. So I'm sure if their scores had anything to do with their order of appearence or not(seeing how 'm too young to know rules of the past).

That picture was not taken at finals.....finals in 1981 & 1982 were held in the Olympic Stadium. The corps on the track looks like North Star. Why they went on after Madison during prelims is a mystery to me.

Agree about the "Big O" (or the Big Owe as we Canadian taxpayers know it). It was a horrible venue to march in. It felt like we were in an underground parking lot.

I also agree about McGill - now called Percival Molson Stadium. That stadium was made for drum corps. As an aside, even the CFL has moved out of the Big O, except for last year's Grey Cup. Thye only tenant left is the Expos and they won't be around for much longer. The city would do itself a favour by blowing that thing up.

"Older Drum Corps":

Going WAY back in time, the "Nationals" Preliminary contests had an "Inspection" line, a "Ready" line and the "Starting" line. Viewing the corps from the "Concert Side" you would almost always see three of them in one or the other stages of getting ready for "The Field".

St Kevins Alumni have a GREAT "Old Timers" video of the corps at the 1962 VFW Nationals Prelims at Minneapolis MN. It illustrates the "Forward Movement" of the corps from the "Inspection" line right through their stepping "Off the Line".

Elphaba

I'm kind of new to Drum Corps, my High School band director just introduced me to the world of drum corps a year ago, and I've been fixated ever since. I love listening and watching the older videos. But I do have a question that I noticed from a Madison '81 picture that I found.

http://southwind.org/photos/album/categori.../7107_mad81.jpg

Why is that Corp(or what I believe to be another Corp) in the backround? I heard that there was some sort of rule or regulation, but I'm not sure what it was. It would be nice if somebody would answer my question.

Cool I took that picture! $1 to me!! I posted it on the Scouts forum about 2 years ago. Thats was 3 years after I aged out and I was still very involved in drum corps. That photo sat in a drawer for 20 years. That is in fact DCI Prelims 1981. I think the photo was taken in McGill stadium? Could be wrong on that

How did you look it up? I've been searching and I can find the score order, but I can't find the order of when they appeared anywhere. I'm sorry if I'm kind of late on this reply, but I'm trying to prove who that corp is to a friend and he doesn't believe me. He thinks its SCV. So if you could be kind enough to tell me where you found the order of appearence, I would be happy. :angry:

In 1977 and maybe 78 in Denver, after finishing the show at finals, the corps lined up behind the field while the other corps' were doing their show.....it was a most assinine move.....very bad planning.

You can see it on VHS and DVD, corps are marching behind the corps on the field and putting their equipment down and walking away, then vice versa, you see us all lining up for retreat while Blue Devils are on and maybe the #2 & #3 corps. It's horrid and seemed to be very disruptive and also disrespectful at the time.

It looks even worse watching it now....

At prelims, I remember many times whether it was a World Open prelims and prelims for finals , leaving the field behind behind the corps on the field. UGH!

<**> :angry::wall::grrr: :ramd:

OK, thank you, I'm done!

Edited by LancerFi

Didn't realize why the DCI members no longer go to the "cheap seats". Saw a lot of good shows from the back and sides when I marched. Seeing other shows was one of the best parts about competeing.

Yeah ... even as late as when I marched in '91, one of my fondest memories of the season was watching DCI East from the back stands.