1979 Blue Devils versus Phantom Regiment

I recently watched the 1979 DVD and was comparing BD and PR. I also looked up the recaps on fromthepressboxfromthepressbox. I knew that I always liked PR better that year than BD but from my memory of being in the stands that year in Birmingham, I could not remember what it was about the PR show that had me sold. My observations after reviewing the DVD and recaps are:

1. Watching the DVD, Blue Devils were squeaky clean in execution, both visually and brass (I did not focus on percussion). Regiment was not as clean, but not sloppy either. The recaps however show Regiment ahead in M&M by 0.8, but I did not see it that way. Bugles were about right on the recaps, I think.

2. I loved BD's show too, especially the music, but I loved both the music and the visuals of PR. PR's guard was simply amazing. Saint Saens 3rd symphony, Malambo, and Elsa's Procession (wonderful to hear it again this year as encore from PR!) were all amazing pieces, and the visuals from the guard during these were fantastic, especially the end of Malambo with the flags doing head chops passing back and forth thru the rifle line. Given that, I just don't see how BD beat PR in GE Visual and tied in Color Guard. BD's show was certainly cleaner but not as exciting visually.

3. Just an aside observation, but we hardly ever see double flags and streamers on the ends of guard equipment anymore, and that added so much to the visual - why is that?

Anyway, just my .02 on some old memories.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Just an aside observation, but we hardly ever see double flags and streamers on the ends of guard equipment anymore, and that added so much to the visual - why is that?

Like a lot of other things, I think they just went out of style. Doesn't make it right, of course. But there are a lot of things that seem to last for a while, then fall by the wayside. Double flags were one of them.

Like a lot of other things, I think they just went out of style. Doesn't make it right, of course. But there are a lot of things that seem to last for a while, then fall by the wayside. Double flags were one of them.

O.K., let's look again at 1976 27th Lancers doing "Danny Boy"--somebody tell me that the double flags (along with the horn flags) ISN'T the kewlest thing!!!! :angry::grrr:

the visuals from the guard during these were fantastic, especially the end of Malambo with the flags doing head chops passing back and forth thru the rifle  line. 

The only thing that would have helped would have been to add the drill from 93 for that part of Malambo. Then, just maybe, we would have been closer. Other than that, I refrain from further comment on a sore subject.

Rocketman - ampssuck

• 2 weeks later...

What you really should be asking is, why was there over a point+ spread in GE? Ya gotta know, when GE percussion is higher than brass and visual, as Jim Lovell said, "Houston, we have a problem" Splain this one to me Lucy?

PR

Prelim Exe Prelim GE/Finals Exe Finals GE

Perc 11.1 9.4 10.45 9.7 a .65 decline in execution resulted in a .3 jump in GE

Brass 12.75 9.5 13.9 9.4 a 1.15 jump in execution resulted in a .1 decline in GE

Visual 17.2 9.6 17.45 9.5 a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .1 decline in GE

So, by this theory, as execution goes up, GE comes down! Unless you were BD or SCV:

BD

Perc 10.25 9.5 10.50 9.9 a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .4 jump in GE

Brass 13.4 9.9 14.5 10 a .9 jump in execution resulted in a .1 jump in GE

Visual 17.15 9.8 16.7 10 a .45 decline in execution resulted in a .2 jump in GE

SCV

Perc 11.05 9.7 10.7 10 a .35 decline in execution resulted in a .3 jump in GE

Brass 12.10 9.1 12.35 9.5 a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .4 jump in GE

Visual 16.75 9.7 16.35 9.8 a .30 decline in execution resulted in a .1 jump in GE

So, am I suggesting that just perhaps there may have been a slight bent toward or from certain corps? You tell me!

Rocketman - Conspiracy Theorist

FLAME ON!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

What you really should be asking is, why was there over a point+ spread in GE? Ya gotta know, when GE percussion is higher than brass and visual, as Jim Lovell said, "Houston, we have a problem" Splain this one to me Lucy?

PR

Prelim Exe  Prelim GE/Finals Exe  Finals GE

Perc    11.1    9.4        10.45    9.7 a .65 decline in execution resulted in a .3 jump in GE

Brass  12.75    9.5      13.9      9.4 a 1.15 jump in execution resulted in a .1 decline in GE

Visual  17.2      9.6      17.45    9.5 a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .1 decline in GE 

So, by this theory, as execution goes up, GE comes down! Unless you were BD or SCV:

BD

Perc  10.25      9.5        10.50        9.9  a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .4 jump in GE

Brass  13.4      9.9        14.5        10  a .9 jump in execution resulted in a .1 jump in GE

Visual 17.15    9.8          16.7          10  a .45 decline in execution resulted in a .2 jump in GE

SCV

Perc  11.05    9.7          10.7        10 a .35 decline in execution resulted in a .3 jump in GE

Brass 12.10    9.1          12.35      9.5 a .25 jump in execution resulted in a .4 jump in GE

Visual 16.75  9.7          16.35      9.8 a .30 decline in execution resulted in a .1 jump in GE

So, am I suggesting that just perhaps there may have been a slight bent toward or from certain corps? You tell me!

Rocketman - Conspiracy Theorist

FLAME ON!

ampssuck

:music:

No flames here, you are right on.

And to think that as good as Phantoms guard was that year, we took top guard.

Must have been that run at the very beginning of OTL by the flag line of what is now called a "jazz run" however in 79 Zingali just said run! There aren't enough counts to get you there! :P :P :P :music::music::blink:

LancerFi: Not the booby prize!

Edited by LancerFi

Must have been that run at the very beginning of OTL by the flag line of what is now called a "jazz run" however in 79 Zingali just said run!  There aren't enough counts to get you there!

My friends and I took one look at that and said, "They're running like bats out of ####!" :P

One of the greatest visual effects ever. Kinda neat to know that it wasn't designed that way; it happened out of necessity.

And to think that as good as Phantoms guard was that year, we took top guard.

Must have been that run at the very beginning of OTL by the flag line of what is now called a "jazz run" however in 79 Zingali just said run!  There aren't enough counts to get you there!  :P  :P  :P  :music:  :music:  :blink:

LancerFi:  Not the booby prize!

LancerFi:

Without a doubt, it was deservedly won! The way I see it, (bias of course) If it wasn't us, it should be 2-7. That was pretty much my feeling from 76-79. After that, what did I care, I wasn't marching!

Rocketman - No Flames?

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

Further/Additional conspiratorial tid bits. Subjective (BIAS) scoring, was the bane of my last two years marching and were THE root cause of two second place finishes.

(In case you’re wondering how I came up with the scores, I simply added all the execution scores together. (It ain’t rocket science!)

In ’78 if you eliminated the subjective(BIAS) scores from prelims, it looked like this:

SCV 79.40

PR 79.80

Take them out of finals and you get:

SCV 78.20

PR 78.90

As far as ’79 goes, prelims would have looked like this:

BD 81.50

PR 82.20

Finals also produced an interesting result:

BD 82.50

PR 83.80

Look at those scores again folk. Hey want more of my misery? ’77 went like this at prelims:

BD 84.80

PR 86.90

You are reading that correctly! TWO POINTS!

But, throw in subjective (BIAS) scoring and instead of three first place finishes, you have three second place finishes.

Imagine how different the activity might have been if what should have happened, actually did? I imagine the Regiment would have considerably more than ½ a championship they now lay claim to. Perhaps the theory “success breeds success” would have worked in their favor (89, 93, 96).

But hey, it’s all water under the bridge now.

Rocketman – Bring on the Amoebas!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman