1979 Blue Devils versus Phantom Regiment

Oh I forgot, We beat you in DCI Finals prelims too in Brass, Fld, ENS, and overall. I don't remember what happened in finals. I am just messing with ye. But if we beat you in finals I will have to change the name of the thread. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding man. b**bs

Yep you beat us in Finals. Oh well, Same as in Midwest That was a real jump. :worthy: You got us, but just by a little. Congrats. Now carry on with the thread. b**bs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LancerFi:

I am now officially confused! Originally I was discussing 79, then referred to 76. 80 wasn't in the picture cause, I was out by then. Though many have concluded that to win you MUST take GE. Didn't hold that year as 27 took it by a tenth over BD!

Rocketman - ???????????

ampssuck

That was one of my points, from a GE standpoint, we took High GE in 80 and lost....though we weren't as close as you were in other areas.... :(

Yes I know you were discussing 79, as the title states. I was giving it a broader stroke I guess. Sorry for confusing you...I didn't mean to take you off topic however you did mention other years as well and in detail as did others:

Rocketman:

"I know I'm going to get some slack for this but, in '77 they took a completely new show (unheard of at that time) and finished 2nd behind a rehash show that included Rocky! In '78 most corps were rehashing shows including Regiment, SCV, BD, Madison, etc.

Again in '79, 80-90% of the show was new and again it finished behind rehash (Chicago III and drum solo) and a show that, for all intents and purposes, was not too dissimilar from what they had been doing for the past 3-4 years.

I do believe there was a clear intent, at that time, to keep the corps from winning. Be it perpetrated within the judging community or from orders on high. The most obvious proof of this would be the general effect scores from 1979 that were referenced earlier in this post. 28.6! Considering how much better the corps' show was over 1978 (29.6), that score just doesn't make sense. Of course, it could just be me!"

Star 93 was also mentioned.

Don't yell at me! This wasn't the only one, we also saw scores in GE totaled together for various years......can't we all just get along? :P

LancerFi = aplogizing for making this thread confusing?! I guess you were just giving examples whereas I was talking about years you were 2nd :worthy: I'll stay closer to topic.... ^0^

Edited by LancerFi

You didn't start this thread either.....sorry GmenBari78

I'll take my leave now.

I need to find out if the names were passed out for Secret Santa...if so I didn't get one! :OT: :worthy::worthy: :blah: :worthy:

Yep you beat us in Finals. Oh well, Same as in Midwest That was a real jump.  :worthy:  You got us, but just by a little. Congrats. Now carry on with the thread. b**bs

Jimisback:

You just quoated yourself. I've never seen that before. BRAVO!

Rocketman - allrighty

ampssuck

I live in BD land, march in BD land, and most of my fellow corpsmates are former BD members of that period. I do think that Phantom should have beaten the Blue Devils. I think by these eyes(and they were only staring at a video) that all was equal between the two corps UNTIL it came to colorguard. I thought Phantoms guard did work that was way harder, but just as clean as the BD colorguard easier work. 27th colorguard was so good in 79 that it needs no mentioning in this thread!

I also believe that 27th should have beat them in 80. I found 27th show alot more entertaining, the guard waaaaaay more exciting and did MUCH harder work, and just as clean as BD. I also believe that Phantom should have won in 1978 also, but that is just me.

Now I know when I hit camp in January a centrally located part of my body will be barbeque'd by fellow guard members, and horn line guys. But that is just my opinion. I was a HUGE Phantom fan even when their colorguard was my colorguards bitter enemy in WGI. I liked their style of that day(the guards headbob was priceless), and Phantom was just a better corps in my humble, but useless opinion during those years. The judges however did not agree with me.

Edited by deftguy

Jimisback:

You just quoated yourself. I've never seen that before. BRAVO!

Rocketman - allrighty

ampssuck

No I did not. I got back to you on finals, I stated in the previous about Semis.

Jimmy- Allrighty then

Amps do suck

But I see what you mean. As in I responded to my own post, before I got a response from another person. Hey, I do that alot. b**bs

Edited by Jimisback

I live in BD land, march in BD land, and most of my fellow corpsmates are former BD members of that period.  I do think that Phantom should have beaten the Blue Devils.  I think by these eyes(and they were only starting at a video) that all was equal between the two corps UNTIL it came to colorguard.  I thought Phantoms guard did work that was way harder, but just as clean as the BD colorguard easier work.  27th colorguard was so good in 79 that it needs no mentioning in this thread! 

I also believe that 27th should have beat them in 80.  I found 27th show alot more entertaining, the guard waaaaaay more exciting and did MUCH harder work, and just as clean as BD.  I also believe that Phantom should have won in 1978 also, but that is just me.

Now I know when I hit camp in January a centrally located part of my body will be barbeque'd by fellow guard members, and horn line guys.  But that is just my opinion.  I was a HUGE Phantom fan even when their colorguard was my colorguards bitter enemy in WGI.  I liked their style of that day(the guards headbob was priceless), and Phantom was just a better corps in my humble, but useless opinion during those years.  The judges however did not agree with me.

Thanks for that great, and unequaled input!

:worthy: Would you like to hire any eastern or midwestern body guards for cheap for January? :P

I live in BD land, march in BD land, and most of my fellow corpsmates are former BD members of that period.  I do think that Phantom should have beaten the Blue Devils.  I think by these eyes(and they were only staring at a video) that all was equal between the two corps UNTIL it came to colorguard.  I thought Phantoms guard did work that was way harder, but just as clean as the BD colorguard easier work.  27th colorguard was so good in 79 that it needs no mentioning in this thread! 

I also believe that 27th should have beat them in 80.  I found 27th show alot more entertaining, the guard waaaaaay more exciting and did MUCH harder work, and just as clean as BD.  I also believe that Phantom should have won in 1978 also, but that is just me.

Now I know when I hit camp in January a centrally located part of my body will be barbeque'd by fellow guard members, and horn line guys.  But that is just my opinion.  I was a HUGE Phantom fan even when their colorguard was my colorguards bitter enemy in WGI.  I liked their style of that day(the guards headbob was priceless), and Phantom was just a better corps in my humble, but useless opinion during those years.  The judges however did not agree with me.

Deftguy: :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I am speachless! I live in BD/SCV land, albiet Southern BD/SCV land. Tell me that's not hard!

We tried to get the guard to stop "bobble heading", it wouldn't work. Besides, no brass or percussion player with half a brain would ever attempt to advise a guard member on anything. You might as well self castrate yourself. I imagine that could be true for 2-7 as well. How bout it LancerFi? Anyone out side the guard have the stones to comment on the guard?

Rocketman - 2nd stinks even now!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

No I did not. I got back to you on finals, I stated in the previous about Semis.

Jimmy- Allrighty then

Amps do suck

But I see what you mean. As in I responded to my own post,  before I got a response from another person. Hey, I do that alot. b**bs

Oh, I get it. :worthy:

Rocketman - What?

ampssuck