1979 Blue Devils versus Phantom Regiment

Besides, it's not like they've always been a Top 3 lock, once they started winning in the DCI era. They were fourth in '87, '89, '90, '92 and '93, fifth in '91. Did their reputation desert them those years?

By no means. In those years, it took exemplary shows/performances from the corps above them to have them finish lower than usual. However, I am not convinced that BD (and some others) have had shows or performances that were so far above the rest, but they still received the benefit of thier reputation and a better placement than oerhaps was deserved.

Rocketman - I doubt it!

ampssuck

Jeff-

I agree with your post, my only problem is it has taken many years for Phantom to shed the runnerup/Conspiracy mentality if they have at all. Once the shows are designed to win and at the same time please some of the fans, then Phantom will again place in the top 3 on a consistant basis!

I do believe that some of the Champions shows have been the best while others are questionable. ala Star 93 IMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff-

I agree with your post, my only problem is it has taken many years for Phantom to shed the runnerup/Conspiracy mentality if they have at all. Once the shows are designed to win and at the same time please some of the fans, then Phantom will again place in the top 3 on a consistant basis!

I do believe that some of the Champions shows have been the best while others are questionable. ala Star 93 IMO

I am curious to know what years when the corps was contending, that you feel they didn't please the fans? In the 70's, they certainly were geared/designed toward winning.

I know I'm going to get some slack for this but, in '77 they took a completely new show (unheard of at that time) and finished 2nd behind a rehash show that included Rocky! In '78 most corps were rehashing shows including Regiment, SCV, BD, Madison, etc.

Again in '79, 80-90% of the show was new and again it finished behind rehash (Chicago III and drum solo) and a show that, for all intents and purposes, was not too dissimilar from what they had been doing for the past 3-4 years.

I do believe there was a clear intent, at that time, to keep the corps from winning. Be it perpetrated within the judging community or from orders on high. The most obvious proof of this would be the general effect scores from 1979 that were referenced earlier in this post. 28.6! Considering how much better the corps' show was over 1978 (29.6), that score just doesn't make sense. Of course, it could just be me!

Rocketman - Amoebae-man

ampssuck

After reading all this....all I can think of is....WOW!

Never read any challenges regarding the 79 Blue Devils.  Interesting.

Really and Truly?

Just kidding with you. But it almost became a forgone conclusion in the east that if it was a tie, the tie would go to the corps who had won before. Having said that, alot of people would have had to be involved to get the scores so close, actually, that's not true. Phantom is listed on an eastern corps site as the most maligned corps in DCI during the era we are discussing.

Most people totally disagree. That's their right. But I believe alot of people just don't or won't say it! Who knows, it may be very few people....also, I cannot pick out show for show as others do and back it up with scores as Rocketman has done.

There I said it again....crap, why can't I just stay out of this. :sshh:

I loved BD from the first note and thought they were eye candy for the ages. They were better than sliced bread and still are! So the above may be just what I thought or was mentioned here and there when I was 17 or 18.

You know, what would life in the old U S of A be without conspiracy theories??? And Freedom of Speech?

After reading all this....all I can think of is....WOW!

Never read any challenges regarding the 79 Blue Devils.  Interesting.

This was really not so much about Blue Devils as it was the judging community and/or DCI administration. No question, Blue Devils had a great year. My issue, I don't believe the General Effect score received that night was appropriate for the show performed. There is no logical sense to any of the scores received in either of the GE sub-captions.

Even in '76 when BD clearly was the best corps out there, the GE spread between 1st and 2nd was only .6. Up until 1979, the largest spread in GE was 1.1 in 1973 and the Troopers GE score was 2nd, NOT 4th!

Rocketman - no dis intended

ampssuck

This was really not so much about Blue Devils as it was the judging community and/or DCI administration. No question, Blue Devils had a great year. My issue, I don't believe the General Effect score received that night was appropriate for the show performed. There is no logical sense to any of the scores received in either of the GE sub-captions.

Even in '76 when BD clearly was the best corps out there, the GE spread between 1st and 2nd was only .6. Up until 1979, the largest spread in GE was 1.1 in 1973 and the Troopers GE score was 2nd, NOT 4th!

ampssuck

Rocketman you were talking about 76? I was talking about a different year.....hmm what happened in 80....just kidding....

LancerFi = still in 2nd place! :P

ampssuck

Hey Rocket man, Didn't we beat you in 79 at Prelims Mid west? :P J/K

Hey Rocket man, Didn't we beat you in 79 at Prelims Mid west?  :P  J/K

Yes! I thank you for the "wake up" call. I believe we were pretty complacent up until that point in time. Much appreciated.

Rocketman - the Anti Dis

ampssuck

Rocketman you were talking about 76? I was talking about a different year.....hmm what happened in 80....just kidding....

LancerFi = still in 2nd place!  :P

LancerFi:

I am now officially confused! Originally I was discussing 79, then referred to 76. 80 wasn't in the picture cause, I was out by then. Though many have concluded that to win you MUST take GE. Didn't hold that year as 27 took it by a tenth over BD!

Rocketman - ???????????

ampssuck

Yes! I thank you for the "wake up" call. I believe we were pretty complacent up until that point in time. Much appreciated.

Rocketman - the Anti Dis

ampssuck

Oh I forgot, We beat you in DCI Finals prelims too in Brass, Fld, ENS, and overall. I don't remember what happened in finals. I am just messing with ye. But if we beat you in finals I will have to change the name of the thread. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding man. b**bs