1979 Blue Devils versus Phantom Regiment

The truth be told - it was not our horn spread that "lost it" for us, but rather the opinion of the very same judge from Allentown to Birmingham that judged us in VA (visual analysis).

If you can find the recaps, I think you'll see we had an 8.0 in VA in Allentown and it dropped significantly at finals. The crime here, IMO, is that visually - there was no comparison to what 27th was doing compared to BD. If there were problems in execution, then is was the field judge's job to take care of that.

Being a staff member that year, I can tell you that our game plan was simple. We "knew" we had the GE part of the show, visually, we were confident that we could be very close, we knew we would be humbled by BD's horns, and we "knew" we were going to crumble BD's in drums. The critical area was between drums and horns was their respective spreads. We did exactly as we expected, but there were some things we could not control, and that was the the impact we had on one VA judge from Allentown to Birmingham.

Regretfully, Guard was not a separate and inclusive mark like it is today. HAd that been the case in 1980, well.......we'll never know. BD won, and a tip of my hat to them. I would just once like to hear that we made them work for it.

BD was great in 1980, but by no means did they win hands down...27th and the Bridgemen nearly upset BD...and yes you should look at the recaps because they tell the story.......BD definitely had to work for the title in 1980

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1979 was my first exposure to drum corps, and what exposure it was -- Phantom Regiment camped out in my high school's gymnasium during finals week. Of course, I was an instant Regimant fan and, watching finals on PBS, was amazed that my favorite corps lost to a Blue Devils show that I found far less visually and musically appealing.

Years later, the very first Legacy DVD I purchased was of 1979, in an attempt to recapture and relive some of the magic that first attracted me to the activity. Having watched all the performances from that year many times, I can now, grudgingly, concur with the judges' decision. While Phantom was certainly more visually exciting, marched extremely well, and had a superior color guard program, BD's execution in all captionswas remarkably smooth. Their control was amazing, to the point that their program looks effortless. I still don't truly appreciate the jazz selections and much prefer Phantom's classically-themed music, but I am now able to look beyond my preferences to understand why the Blue Devils won in 79.

Edited by ChicagoFan

BD was great in 1980, but by no means did they win hands down...27th and the Bridgemen nearly upset BD...and yes you should look at the recaps because they tell the story.......BD definitely had to work for the title in 1980

Here they are: 1980 recaps

And, since the thread topic is dealing with '79, here are those recaps: 1979 recaps

Edited by byline

1979 was my first exposure to drum corps, and what exposure it was -- Phantom Regiment camped out in my high school's gymnasium during finals week.  Of course, I was an instant Regimant fan and, watching finals on PBS, was amazed that my favorite corps lost to a Blue Devils show that I found far less visually and musically appealing. 

Years later, the very first Legacy DVD I purchased was of 1979, in an attempt to recapture and relive some of the magic that first attracted me to the activity.  Having watched all the performances from that year many times, I can now, grudgingly, concur with the judges' decision.  While Phantom was certainly more visually exciting, marched extremely well, and had a superior color guard program, BD's execution in all captionswas remarkably smooth.  Their control was amazing, to the point that their program looks effortless.  I still don't truly appreciate the jazz selections and much prefer Phantom's classically-themed music, but I am now able to look beyond my preferences to understand why the Blue Devils won in 79.

I must agree with you that PR's show in 1979 was amazing and they had a good shot at the title. However, the reason that our 79 DCI Finals performance looked effortless was because we were on the top of our game that night. Never have I marched with a corps that gave me the feeling of sheer victory after a performance. As I have stated earlier in other posts, we worked tirelessly at perfecting our performance by exhausting rehearsals and good old fashioned hard work. When we left the field that night we knew we were the 1979 DCI Champions.

Mike I generally agree with you 99.9% of the time. How do you explain 1977 then? Clearly BD was off thier game that night. To me, they won that show because of the season they had, not the performance that evening.

Rocketman - not a sore loser

I dont think that you're not a sore loser it's not the first time you been talking about 1977 Rocketmen. And how do you know that we were off the game that night, you guys came very close at prelim but we came stronger at finals. Sorry if you never get a ring ain't my fault.

most be a nightmare for you for the last  28 years

I guess your idea of "comming on" in finals included a brass performance that even today amazes critics and fans alike at how uncharacteristic it was for BD.

Rocketman- 0 for 4

ampssuck

I guess your idea of "comming on" in finals included a brass performance that even today amazes critics and fans alike at how uncharacteristic it was for BD.

Rocketman- 0 for 4

ampssuck

Rocketman,

The 1977 Blue Devils were untouchable by just about every corps that marched that summer with the exception of PR. The bottomline is that even with a dropped rifle and a "rehashed show" as you like to put it, PR could not have beaten BD that night even if it had two more weeks to rehearse, and quite frankly it is rather offensive when you insinuate that for some reason BD was handed that victory because of their previous season. If that is the best you can do Rocketman we will just have to agree to disagree....Bottom line is:

1977 DCI Champions - Blue Devils

1977 DCI 2nd Place - Phantom Regiment.....nuff said!

As I have stated earlier in other posts, we worked tirelessly at perfecting our performance by exhausting rehearsals and good old fashioned hard work. When we left the field that night we knew we were the 1979 DCI Champions.

I realize even before I get too far into this, it is going to sound like sour grapes, bitterness, whatever. Thus, you have been warned.

I don't take anything away from what you say. My issue is this, you worked no harder than any of the other corps on the field that night. However, looking at the subcaption results Brass and Percussion is a wash between the two corps (PR up by .15 in perc, BD up by .15 in brass) Marching had PR up by .60. So tell me, how does that translate into a GE advantage of 1.3 in general effect for BD?

I'm sorry, it can't be explained "rationally", and it can't be explained so that an observer might say, "I get it now". To me, (opinion) this takes on the appearance of an attempt by "opinion" judges to keep a corps from a championship. Regardless of how you felt coming of the field that night, the scores, outside of GE, do not back you up.

Once again, this is not a slam on BD. This is directed at the three judges who had their heads stuck so far up their, or someone's ###, that they were incapable of fairly adjudicating the show that evening.

This next bit of trivia could be folklore or fact, it is alleged those "three blind mice/three stooges" resigned immediately after the show so that they wouldn't have to go to critique. However, they were resignations that lasted only long enough to get them out of Birmingham ALIVE!

George Oliverio - M&M, Len Cary - percussion, and Jim Unrath on brass. While there are those on this board that may resent me signaling out Unrath, we knew going in he had an issue with us from early on in the season. This very well could have been retaliation for the brass staff telling him to "stick it in his ear" or whatever confrontation took place. However, that appears to have clouded his objectivity and was a contributing factor to our placement. Don't know if the visual staff PO'd Oliverio, you splain that one to me. Like I have said, anytime the percussion GE score beats both brass and M&M, something smells.

I guess my rant is done, for now.

Rocketman - not objective

ampssuck

Rocketman,

The 1977 Blue Devils were untouchable by just about every corps that marched that summer with the exception of PR. The bottomline is that even with a dropped rifle and a "rehashed show" as you like to put it, PR could not have beaten BD that night even if it had two more weeks to rehearse, and quite frankly it is rather offensive when you insinuate that for some reason BD was handed that victory because of their previous season. If that is the best you can do Rocketman we will just have to agree to disagree....Bottom line is:

1977 DCI Champions - Blue Devils

1977 DCI 2nd Place - Phantom Regiment.....nuff said!

Felix:

Agreed, to a point. With the exception of percussion, BD was not that far ahead of PR. Being as objective as I can, when I listen to the brass performance that evening, I'm sorry, it wasn't a 9.9 in musical analysis nor a 10 in general effect. It was not what we came to expect from BD that year. And if you listened to it, objectively, you would have to agree too. Key word, objectively. However, as you bottom lined it, is the way it will be forever. Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. But it is what it is.

Rocketman - Conspiracy Theories R Us

ampssuck

Felix:

Agreed, to a point. With the exception of percussion, BD was not that far ahead of PR. Being as objective as I can, when I listen to the brass performance that evening, I'm sorry, it wasn't a 9.9 in musical analysis nor a 10 in general effect. It was not what we came to expect from BD that year.  And if you listened to it, objectively, you would have to agree too. Key word, objectively. However, as you bottom lined it, is the way it will be forever. Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. But it is what it is.

Rocketman - Conspiracy Theories R Us

ampssuck

Fair enough Rocketman.....and you are correct! The key word here is "objectively" Although I marched with the Blue Devils in 1979, I actually came out of the Anaheim Kingsmen organization where I marched in 1977. My favorite corps that year got disqualified. I can easily look at a corps preformance objectively. I recall coming to your defense a few times on PR 1978....you should have won that night over SCV hands down IMO...but I will agree to disagree with you on 1977...as objectively as possible.

I realize even before I get too far into this, it is going to sound like sour grapes, bitterness, whatever. Thus, you have been warned.

I don't take anything away from what you say. My issue is this, you worked no harder than any of the other corps on the field that night. However, looking at the subcaption results Brass and Percussion is a wash between the two corps (PR up by .15 in perc, BD up by .15 in brass) Marching had PR up by .60. So tell me, how does that translate into a GE advantage of 1.3 in general effect for BD?

I'm sorry, it can't be explained "rationally", and it can't be explained so that an observer might say, "I get it now". To me, (opinion) this takes on the appearance of an attempt by "opinion" judges to keep a corps from a championship. Regardless of how you felt coming of the field that night, the scores, outside of GE, do not back you up.

Once again, this is not a slam on BD. This is directed at the three judges who had their heads stuck so far up their, or someone's ###, that they were incapable of fairly adjudicating the show that evening.

Maybe this should come down to a new poll. Let the DCP audience judge for themselves...I too find it hard to totally discard your recaps and point margins, However, let's let a poll suffice for now and move on.......if the poll leans in your favor we will award you an honorary People's Choice 1979 DCI Finals Champion Trophy and you could enjoy a nights sleep for a change the night before Finals every season........LOL!  Just kidding!This next bit of trivia could be folklore or fact, it is alleged those "three blind mice/three stooges" resigned immediately after the show so that they wouldn't have to go to critique. However, they were resignations that lasted only long enough to get them out of Birmingham ALIVE!

George Oliverio - M&M, Len Cary - percussion, and Jim Unrath on brass. While there are those on this board that may resent me signaling out Unrath, we knew going in he had an issue with us from early on in the season. This very well could have been retaliation for the brass staff telling him to "stick it in his ear" or whatever confrontation took place. However, that appears to have clouded his objectivity and was a contributing factor to our placement. Don't know if the visual staff PO'd Oliverio, you splain that one to me. Like I have said, anytime the percussion GE score beats both brass and M&M, something smells.

I guess my rant is done, for now.

Rocketman - not objective

ampssuck