• Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • SCV
    • Crown

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Kahtsu i have to say is the best one of teh best instructors i know, he volenteers for alot of corps and he is real good. I know personally he has improved our (bandettes) hornline a ton :)

Love those PR hornlines in the early 90's. Nice and phat! They should hire John Madden back again. He's the man!

The Blue Devils obviously have the history of great horn lines. I think it is reflective of both the quality of the staff and the talent level of the members.

But as far as current brass staffs, my vote would go to Magic of Orlando. This is last year's staff with a few additions that will made the staff even better. I was a volunteer with the Magic last year and watched the staff take a bunch of relatively inexperienced kids and turn them into a pretty darn good corps. I am sure the corps is eager to prove last year's success was not a flash in the pan. Since there is a high percentage of returning members from 2002, IMHO Magic will be THE corps to watch this year. Look for them to move up at least a couple places in the rankings.

Gino Cipriani - marched Blue Devils worked with BD for long time

Tommy Santino - marched Blue Devils (I believe) worked with Blue Devils and Boston Crusaders

Chris Schletter - marched with Cadets in 95-96, tech with Cadets in following years

Ben Harloff - marched with Star, Brass Theater, and Blast!

Chad Pence - marched with Star in 1993, worked with Crown in later years, then with Cadets in '01.

Yeah Gino Cipriani and Fred Mehr (who was on admin staff) all marched Florida Wave in the 80's. They won a Div 2 title with them. I never heard heard anything about Tommy Santino marching FW, but it is entirly possible.

I've been to 2 SCV rehearsals and 1 BD rehearsal so far this year and I would say that both staffs are on about the same level. The same would go for the level of the players. Although I would say that the work ethic at SCV is about 2 notches higher and the music is a little more demanding.

BTW, Wayne Downey is still running the brass at BD. SO, if you like Wayne, you could still go for BD.

Edited by ravedodger

If I remember correctly John Madden marched with Phantom in 82 & 83, or 83 and 84. He was a soprano player and had a solo one of those years. Anyways, he worked with Phantom in the early 90's and tought the brass line there. He is currently a professor at Michigan State University and conducts some of the ensembles there. He is a real cool guy and I think he brought a guy in 93 named Glenn Brough who, if you have ever met him, is an awesome drill instructor. Now that his responsibilities are more with the university, it's too bad we dont get to see him much on the road anymore. Great teacher. I think most everyone from Phantom will agree.

P.S.- I'm guessing at the end of the 91 show Madden threw in the Madden modulation. There is a modulation before the final cadence.