PBS Broadcast

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the pbs broadcast here, and I think it was better than last year's. Some minor complaints...

1. They have shortened the portions of the shows that we do get to see even further.

2. Some of the camera editing was infuriating. (example: near the end of Cavalier's opener, they have that nifty visual where they run their hands along the brims of their hats. Just as they're about to do it, they cut away to the colorguard...ARRGGH!)

3. The specially produced video clips before each corps were kind of cool, but the music choices for these clips were annoying, in many cases (lots of r&b/hip-hop).

Other than these minor complaints, I enjoyed the broadcast immensely (and EARLY for Oklahoma!!)

Edited by Cardman

I watched the pbs broadcast here, and I think it was better than last year's.  Some minor complaints...

1.  They have shortened the portions of the shows that we do get to see even further. 

2.  Some of the camera editing was infuriating. (example: near the end of Cavalier's opener, they have that nifty visual where they run their hands along the brims of their hats.  Just as they're about to do it, they cut away to the colorguard...ARRGGH!)

3.  The specially produced video clips before each corps were kind of cool, but the music choices for these clips were annoying, in many cases (lots of r&b/hip-hop). 

Other than these minor complaints, I enjoyed the broadcast immensely (and EARLY for Oklahoma!!)

Oh god yes, what was with that music they were playing during the top 6 intros? BD seemed to be the only corps which got something halfway decent. I doubt kids heavily into the hip-hop scene are going to get into drum corps or anything actually involving talent anytime soon, so why pander to something like that?

Back in the day when I marched in Cavies all we did was listen to hip hip, but mostly just rap. I'd like to see the people who claim rap takes no talent try to rap. Then we'd really see what a talentless hack looks like. There is hardly a lyricist, singer, or writer that can hold a candle to The Streets aka Mike Skinner. You can find TONS of hip hop that is a thousand times more musical than anything being written for symphanies today. The musicality of hip hop is what drives people in drum corps to it, and the precision of it.

Rappers are usually great singers, but text in rap is irrisitable. So much text can be written into one hip hop song, verses the 10 or 15 repetitive thoughts most bands drone over and over.

Neil Cavie Euph 97-01

i am sad to see that they dont show the whole show for the top five anymore. other than that, i liked the pbs broadcast :rolleyes:

actually, CPTV in CT just informed me they're planning on showing it sometime in november

GREAT!

when i talked to them in August they had no plans to air it ~ maybe they got enough complaints, errr i mean phone calls to change their minds :)

It's the same basic format as the last few years: behind-the-scenes personal "stories" with snippets of the corps' performances. The snippets get longer as corps go higher in their semi-finals standings (hence, the much-debated shorter clip of Bluecoats). I would rather see more of the corps' performances and less of the personal stuff, but I suspect that's geared toward recruiting new fans, not satisfying the old ones . . . and if they find it's working, so be it.

I watched the telecast on September 5 via WPBS in Watertown, New York, and unfortunately the video and audio "cut out" a couple of times during the telecast. (I have no way of knowing if this was a local cable problem or a WPBS problem.) However, it looks like it only happened during the behind-the-scenes segments, not during corps' performances, so at least I didn't miss the whole reason I watch the telecast, to begin with. WPBS doesn't plan to repeat this telecast, so that's as good as it gets for me.