DCA thoughts, views and funny stuff

I think we have a mutual kind of thing going on between our corps. It's what Drum Corps is all about. Have a great off-season.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale,

Thanks for the review, and nice seeing you in the parking lot for a bit. Hard road to Scranton..36 hours worth for the paying DCA crowd B) but a couple of clarifications.

Heat Wave was defending champs of Class A , not Sun

Keith Hall quit Heat Wave at the end of July, so you wouldn't have seen your friend at DCA. Mark Cole is who instructed the brass line this summer.

And I would never put these people in all white...never..never..never :rolleyes:

I have problems..ask Liz!! b**bs

Here are my reflections and observations of DCA 2004. This is not a review, as such. Don’t look for a lot of facts; this is 99 and 44/100% pure opinion.

Since 1995, I’ve been a participant in one corps or another in the DCA festivities, performing in all prelims and most finals. I spent this year as a mere spectator. Seeing the corps from the inside over the last 9 years, I knew that senior corps has improved, but this weekend floored me. Who knew that senior corps are THIS good?!

For prelims Saturday, I had probably the best seat in the house for hearing all of the corps (between 40-45, left of the 50, lower deck). Every corps, it seemed, had a huge impact moment right in my face. I want to especially credit the Renegades for convincing me in the first 2 minutes I’ve ever seen them from the front that they are, indeed, the loudest corps on Earth! For finals, I was in the upper deck, not a fantastic seat (30 yard line, right of the 50), but still a good place to see the visual designs and marching techniques on display.

Prelims especially impressed me. Every corps seemed well prepared, none had one of those “hide your eyes, cover your ears” train wrecks that could happen. Every corps, even the new corps and the little corps (sometimes one and the same), had an “oooh” moment that made me sit up and take notice. I think prelims Saturday was the best drum corps show I have ever seen, period, even better than DCI Finals I’ve seen.

I took no notes; these are all from memory. I apologize if something is in error.

Gulf Coast Sound was a great way for DCA to jump out of the blocks. To my friends, Nikki and Mike Predmore (and Mary at the souvie table), you guys rock! I hope GCS keeps growing.

Though they wore black and purple unis, Dream evoked images of people dressed in long yellow coats, and that’s a niche not easily filled, which they did well. The show design hit all the right notes for me, even if the execution wasn’t the cleanest. I hope they realized all their goals for their first DCA appearance, and I wish they’ll return soon.

The Govenaires are the best littlest corps I’ve ever seen, period, in DCI, DCA, whatever! I guess that’s what being the oldest corps can do for you. The baritone soloist was a delight, my favorite feature player both nights. I liked the rapport the DM established with the crowd. They were a little too over-hyped on Sunday, but their Saturday show was impressive both because of their size and being a first-timer at DCA. I was glad to hear the DM say they’ll be back next year.

Shenandoah Sound impressed me for being as good as they were for their size (8 horns) and relative inexperience. I always liked BS&T music on the field, and I thought it a good choice for their second foray to DCA. One must always walk before one runs, and the gains Sound made since last year may be modest, but gains they are, and I hope they keep it going.

Sunrisers planned the most ambitious show in Class A. (I’m ignoring Grennies for the moment, since they didn’t plan to be in Class A originally.) Even though this corps has a long, rich history, it seems like a new corps, so such a hard show surprised me. But they pulled it off well. “Classical Gas” was a particularly interesting music choice. They might have even planned to repeat as Class A Champs. I feel for them not even making Finals. Even still, that’s nothing for Sun to be down about. That show may have even been tough for larger corps to perform well. And I heartily agree with awarding the Best DM award for Class A to Dana.

Heat Wave did have the hardest road to Scranton (though not as long as some others), with Hurricane Frances bearing down on their homes. I don’t know if I could’ve performed while my home and family were being threatened. I loved Donny Allen’s book of Brazilian-style music, which continues Wave’s occupation of that musical niche. It suits them well. I missed seeing my friend, Keith Hall, who teaches the brass. They sounded the best I’ve ever heard them. But the drum line seemed most improved over what I’d seen before. I like the unis - I hadn’t seen these ones up close before - though Vic’s DM uni would look better on the corps proper.

Wave, Dream, and Sun all were close to each other, and any one of them could’ve been in Finals. Who’d’ve predicted that Grennies would declare Class A and Govies would pull off what some may think an upset to slip past them? None of them should feel disappointed.

The Grenadiers’ New York Voices show was exactly what a corps in their position needed. A show like the Metheny show last year would not have served them as well as this one did. But no matter the theme, Grennies always have entertaining programs that I like, even when my corps was dueling with them. I hope they get things straightened out and return to where they were not too long ago.

After missing their performances two years ago (due to being at warm-ups), I was wondering if I would have some sort of transcendent experience watching the Yokohama Inspires. Well, I didn’t, but I was nonetheless impressed to find out that they basically just learned this show very quickly and very recently, and this is not their actual show for the new season in Japan. I hope they are not disappointed with being seventh this year. The music was recognizably Latin without being overtly so. Their sound was impressive, and their individual marching style was razor sharp. The show, even if intended for only being performed at DCA, was stylish, interesting, and well written. No corners were cut anywhere. If they decided to make this every other year pattern a habit, I wouldn’t mind one bit. The extra long ovation they received at finals retreat was well deserved.

The Kilties had the toughest draw of any corps in DCA. They had to follow the most anticipated performance of the whole weekend (Inspires). But they held their own very well. I hadn’t really seen Kilties since 1999. And I can’t believe how much better they have gotten. The colorguard has grown and the drill design has improved immensely. I’m not sure I could wear a kilt, let alone do high mark time in one. The horn line, always a  strength, sounded wonderful. Mr. Jerry Kelsey does some nice work.

Carolina Gold is making great strides, even though they’ve near-missed Finals twice now. I would say their show is the most “DCI-like” in senior corps this year. That’s not a negative comment. They’re just a little more a-melodic than the other corps. I “got” more of it this time (since Kingston, NY). Using fresh music (Dave Matthews, in this case) is always welcome, just keep it fun, which Carolina did just fine. Keep improving, Gold, like you’ve been and Finals will be in your future.

I’ve not been too hip on Skyliners’ recent shows, but not this year. The show is well paced, and maintains the NY sound while remaining interesting. The soloists were quite good, and the Lego toys in the pit make me smile. I thought their marching was improved over recent years, too.

Corps Vets hit a home run with this year’s program, “Heart of Jazz.” It’s toe tapping fun! “Big Noise” was one of my favorite charts of the year. What a mellophone line! The full brass sound impressed me too. I’d bet your commutes to practice were a lot shorter this year, right, Joey? I think CV might have been better than last year, yet dropped two places. Such was the strength of DCA this year.

Hurricanes may be the most improved corps in DCA this year. The gains in marching over last season were topped only by the growth in their brass line during THIS season. Bringing DA in was a smart move, and his impact showed between my viewings from Kingston to Scranton. Using the five old unis to mark the years was smart. Of course, “Mag 7” is my favorite signature song in all of DCA. Just one quibble: if the corps’ first year was in 1955, then 2004 is the 50th edition of the corps, but it is only the 49th anniversary.

Is it true that Bushwackers are playing a recognizable, fun show? Of course, it is. What a well-designed show, performed to the hilt by the corps. They made the best use of the entire field of any corps. I also liked seeing the old long, gray Bushwacker coat worn by the saber-bearer in the honor guard Saturday.

I had never seen Renegades from the front before. Saturday, I discovered what I was missing! Their sound is unbelievable! The visual program and percussion seemed much improved, too. The colorguard unis are outlandish, kinda like Oakland Raiders fans’ get-ups. Roland and company, screaming away on their sops, are outrageous, but my favorite moment is the bari soloist and the hornline turning away at the end of the “quiet” tune. And the show actually has a little storyline to it. Although, if the show is called “The Triumph of Evil”, why does the evil overseer get carried away at the end?

Does anyone want to go “Moondancing”? Duh! It’s so obvious: Why hasn’t anyone put “Moondance” and “Moonlight Sonata” in the same show before? I think Minnesota put together the best set of songs in DCA this year. Their version of “Sonata” wins my vote as the most haunting melody of the year, maybe ever. Their repeat DCA Champion drumline was just so good, it’s sick. And the brass line was the best I’ve ever heard from MBI. Yes, their scores were low, but the place was right. DCA was just too strong.

The Buccaneers’ low brass section is always a joy for me to hear. But listening to them play Shostakovich, especially “Fire of Eternal Glory”, was heavenly! There is no weakness in this program, nor in the corps. The show is as sophisticated as can be, and yet remains eminently entertaining. Did Shostakovich write this music expressly for the Bucs? It sounds like he did. The DVD’s will be worthwhile just because of them - everyone else is merely gravy on top. I find it hard to believe that a corps can be as consistently good as Bucs have been the last for 7 years without winning DCA at all. Third place will have to do this year.

Both Saturday and Sunday, I found it interesting that Renegades, MBI, and Bucs seemed to wear the crowd down. They were so good that they wrung all of the energy out of the fans. The crowd did not have as much energy left to give back to the three following corps compared to previous years.

Hawthorne needed a mighty effort to defend their title this year, maybe even a superhuman effort. Alas, while caballeros may wear capes, these Cabs did not have S’s on their chests. The new Bb’s did help them sound less edgy, and the drumline played like I’ve never heard them play before. The guard was no less than superb. Curt’s feature in the ballad gave them a wonderful moment that no other corps had in their show.

OK, so I have cause to be biased (I was a Brig last year), but I truly believe that Brigadiers’ “Caravan” is the classiest, most sophisticated program on the field this year, and it’s my personal favorite, despite the corps’ relative inability (versus, say, Empire) to get the crowd to feel the passion I felt in it. Not that I think the crowd disliked the show, but it’s a more cerebral show, whereas Empire’s was definitely visceral. The two programs simply aimed at different targets. Winning Best Visual and Best Brass is a tribute to the corps’ talent and work ethic. Genevieve was, hands down, the best soloist out there. (No offense to Mr. Pero, whose fine work is far more conspicuous.) The “Out of Africa” impact was the finest moment in DCA 2004, and was the one time the crowd did respond like the show demanded. And when they finished, I really thought they had pulled off the upset.

That is, until Empire took the field. With the most seamless program of all this year, Statesmen finally had a show design that I could respect. I always respected their work ethic. No one works harder than Empire, but I rarely liked the designs of past years’ offerings. That changed this year. Never once did I ever think of Madison while hearing “City of Angels”; Empire made a new program out of it. The props were not overbearing, and the cheese was minimal. The General Effect trophy, as always, determined the champion, and the judges chose rightly. Finally, to my friends who joined Empire this year – Tammy, Julia, Larry, Norm, and especially Steve Cooley – I hope you all savor your well deserved championship.

Who knew senior corps could be this good? Well, let’s just see where next year takes us.

Jeff,

Thanks for the review. We all made it back safe, albeit the Corps got in Monday night and I Thursday night. My vehicle broke down, in Maryland..after finals.. 2:30am .....wonderful place! I Shall revisit maybe in 10 years! b**bs

Looked for you a few times in the Stdium Club and missed. Had a cold one for you though...Saw the ever bouncy Liz and Bonnie a few times...well there is always next time.

Peace

hey gang i call it like i see it. some years i make enemies, some years i make fans.

but thats the way i see it.

and like my sig says, MBI's drumline for president!

in fact i realized something last night...i kept comparing them to Shore 96(the unis help dont they?)...but....MBI was better than we were.

Is Minnesota's drumline Democrat or Republican??

:P :P :P :P

yes you do :P

so . . . how much house do you have left anyways? :rolleyes:

and how's the cat? B)

so . . . how much house do you have left anyways? :rolleyes:

and how's the cat? B)

he can't find it! b**bs

somebody better get this :P

I got it ^0^

still "feeling" my way around.. :P

Edited by hurcwave

so . . . how much house do you have left anyways? :bleah:

and how's the cat? B)

I meant to say I have enough problems wearing all white... slobs ,sorry ..never finished thought

As for the house ..well..it is still standing, a little porous and alittle light on the shingles, but still there at the moment. I can open the door and nothing has fallen ..yet

as for the pus... cat... poor thing...she just started to talk to me again. Locked in here for 7 days , thru the storm...she did figure out that if you tip the bag of cat food just right, some of it will fall out! and there was enough water on the floors, so no problem there. :rolleyes: She never did use the mop and bucket I left out for her. i was expecting to open the dor and see her floating around the room using her food dish as a little boat...but not enough water to do it I guess B)

Edited by hurcwave

he was in Connecticut and never called . . . what makes you so special Jeff? :rolleyes:

and Vic ~ don't wear white ^0^ especially not in the rain :P