Where was your favorite Competition?

Well, as long as we're talking Denver, my favorite competition was at the Casa Bonita.....to see who could eat the most sopapillas

Casa%20Bonita-711950.JPG

Do they taste like chicken??

Edited by 1975-27thLancer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenwood Springs CO.

So very beautiful....

Colorado show were always great especially when you arrived in the middle of the night and woke up the next morning and you realize you are surrounded by mountains. :sumo:

But my favorite....

Stillwater MN.

Small town on the river that loved the show and all the corps and the Show Sponsor Director had a party every year at his house that was always memorable. There was also a standstill at an amphitheatre on the river that was the next day after the party and there are some great memories of less than stellar performances.

Sorry Philly, I might have said Colorado had I the pleasure to compete against you there. It was always fun kickin' your butt no matter where we were!! :P

I, too, was at the old Mile High Stadium in 1977, 78 and 79. That stadium holds some of my most special drum corps memories.

In 77, Spirit played O, Canada, on the field the night of finals, then in 1978, we jumped two spots from 8th to 6th, on finals night, and missed winning high horns by just .05. (not too shabby for a second-year corps).

In 1979, we won DATR, proving (to ourselves as much as anyone) that our first-time-ever defeat of SCV a couple of nights earlier in California wasn't a fluke.

In 1978, as we were waiting to go on, Jim Ott pointed out to us that the GE judges were sitting above one of the the baseball scoreboards, just over the word "Balls." :)

My other favorite show site, as both a performer and a spectator, is the stadium where I saw my first drum corps show in 1975 - Warhawk Stadium in Whitewater. I remember sitting in the rain during prelims, being totally blown away by the Madison Scouts and thinking that I HAD to someday march drum corps.

Loved the US Open and Dekalb stadiums. Love the fans at Whitewater and Allentown (esp 87 prelims in Allentown - seemed the entire stadium hung around for 2 hours to watch VK and Sky Ryders perform and gave us both some of hte most amazing reactions I have ever witnessed - both of us had problems getting to the show).

As strange as this may sound, I really liked playing in Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, ONT. Good stadium to play in. Unfortunately it's surrounded by houses.

interior.jpg

You can't really tell it from that picture taken at a football game, but I found the "patchwork" paint job on the back stands a little distracting as a spectator.

Then there's the issue of that pesky 55-yard line. :)

Only marched at Harvard University stadium once, but WOW!!!!!! What a crowd!!!!

Helped that we were the "home team", and had just returned from tour. Before tour, we were pretty dirty, and the show was unfinished. Talk about an improvement!! We won CYO Nationals that day, and our alumni and fans were going absolutely NUTS!!

Edited by A27Lancer

You can't really tell it from that picture taken at a football game, but I found the "patchwork" paint job on the back stands a little distracting as a spectator.

Then there's the issue of that pesky 55-yard line. :)

The 55 yeard line ??

The reason behind this is, since we are a bigger country we have bigger football fields, makes for a more exciting football game !! B)

The 55 yeard line ??

The reason behind this is, since we are a bigger country we have bigger football fields, makes for a more exciting football game !! B)

Yeah, but due to the metric conversion you only use 3 downs instead of 4. :P

Edited by sburstall