My Favorite Drum Solo, before the pit

forgot to mention the 74 and 75 Cavaliers second solo ("Percussion Blues" ? - someone help me out...). In the first couple years of keyboards, different arrangers tried to find ways to fit them in to the texture of what was already there; Cavaliers and Madison both did very well by the new instruments, imho, as well as SCV.

The Channel One solo was classic in every way imaginable. H_ll - I'm gonna go put on the DVD now..... :P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to mention the 74 and 75 Cavaliers second solo ("Percussion Blues" ? - someone help me out...). In the first couple years of keyboards, different arrangers tried to find ways to fit them in to the texture of what was already there; Cavaliers and Madison both did very well by the new instruments, imho, as well as SCV.

I'm asked the name of that Cavalier solo all the time, since it did seem to usher in the era of keyboards with a very nice "feel," versus some of the "how many notes can I pound out per measure" approach some lines took early on.

Of course, I can never remember the name of the solo! We never called it anything, though the composer, Dan Spalding, did have a name for it. We just called it "the second solo."

I do know that we (the battery players) were horrified when we first got our parts for it in the spring. Rudimentally speaking, it was not hard at all. In fact, almost the entire snare part was played one-handed (except for the triplet rolls and 32nd note paradiddles). But, it was written counterpunctally, which made it VERY difficult to play clean. Most of the attacks had to be "felt" more than "timed." And, for those of us in the line who weren't music majors (heck, most of us didn't even read music back then!), that made it pretty challenging.

Of course, when Sam Flores (mallet player) ended the solo with his glissando, and Mark Bradtke (glock) added the final "ding" all by himself - well, the crowd went nuts with applause. Thereafter, the battery no longer disliked the solo. B)

One last bit of trivia. We tried all summer to learn to play the triplet rolls one-handed (using a Joe Morello alternating fingers technique). We were told by some of the drum judges that they'd give us a perfect 5.0 in demand if we pulled it off clean (we were getting 4.6s and 4.7s). We actually did it clean in practice a few times, but our drum tech, Jim "Frog" Roussell, wouldn't let us put it in the show until we did it clean twice in a row during practicie. Never happened . . . :(

Somewhere I have read a thorough analysis and discussion of this solo (along with its name) that the composer, Dan Spalding, did in a percussion magazine years ago. He walks through the whole creative process, and dissects the solo. We never truly understood how complex it was. We weren't percussionists - just drummers! :P

Once again some nice thoughts

Yes the take five solo.. I saw Joe M.

perform it. With his large black glasses

sliding down during the one hander on the left,

he would push them back with the right hand.

It actually was very a cool visual!!!!

One of if not the best set or snare solos ever.

SOME OF THE BEST DRUMMING is

and still is, at practice and in THE PARKING LOT

Living just north of Boston, I got to see some

great moments in the parking lots.

We had some kids with great hands.

some did play that Joe M one hander

I also got to watch the kids in boston back in the sixtys

they just rifle through hand to hand 32nd note

flam parradiddles then go into 16th note and 16th note triplets

flams on the left, then on the right and hand to hand

I could not believe what I was seeing. One or two

actually played one hand 8th note flams

by the way 1976 CAVIES A GREAT LINE

by the way 1976 CAVIES A GREAT LINE

Thanks. My all-time favorite as well.

I went to the source . . . it was titled "Green Soul," though I honestly don't recall us ever referring to it by that name. Now you know . . . the REST of the story.

I went to the source . . . it was titled "Green Soul," though I honestly don't recall us ever referring to it by that name.  Now you know . . . the REST of the story.

Seems to me Paul, that when Paul Leo or Ralph Poznanski would replay that for us, it was called "Spaulding's Thing" :P