My Favorite Drum Solo, before the pit

Seems to me Paul, that when Paul Leo or Ralph Poznanski would replay that for us, it was called "Spaulding's Thing" :P

"Spalding's Thing" was actually another drum solo. Its official title was "Time Odyssey," but it was colloquially called "Spalding's Thing."

It was, more precisely, a drum solo with horn accompaniment. It was the second "song" in the 1975 show. Dan Spalding wrote it as an original two-minute drum solo (in 7/8) with modest horn parts added in for effect.

Funny side note . . . the corps used to play "Spalding's Thing" whenever they were asked to play corps back onto the field for retreat. It was hilarious watching all the other corps trying to march to it in step! ^0^

Edited by Paul Milano

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I realize I'll take a hit for this, but as a mallet player, my favorite drum solos are the ones that, once copied, would invariably bring the drum instructor running over red-faced, irate, and screaming "####### it, stop playing other corps' music!!!!"

And they include:

'76 PR "Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring"

'76/'78 Xmen "Tico Tico"

'80 Madison/27 "New Country"

And that thing that North Star used to play off the field in '79..... :grouphug:

wow Dan, I didn't list Channel One because I thought it would be biased, but I see you listed '78 Madison, so I am surprised you didn't include '77 Madison, sweet solo IMO.

Hey Rich,

I like your modesty, but don't think you would have been biased if you included "Channel One" on your list. Most pundits agree that it is one of the bench mark solos of the 1970s. Its well deserved. I'm probably biased including '78 Scouts "Star Wars" solo. Envy prompted me to include it. I was really bummed that I wasn't able to march in that '78 line (I aged out in '77). The Scouts's best drum line of the 70s was 1978--it had a legitimate shot at the drum trophy that year.

Thanks for the compliment on '77 Scouts. I assume you are refering to "America" solo? (second half of "West Side Story"). Personally I liked the drum chart to "Prologue," leading into "Cool" better (beginning of "West Side"). It wasn't a drum solo per se, but had some nice licks throughout. That piece and '75 "McArthur Park" were among my favorite tenor charts to play.

Dan

Hey Rich,

I like your modesty, but don't think you would have been biased if you included "Channel One" on your list. Most pundits agree that it is one of the bench mark solos of the 1970s. Its well deserved. I'm probably biased including '78 Scouts "Star Wars" solo. Envy prompted me to include it. I was really bummed that I wasn't able to march in that '78 line (I aged out in '77). The Scouts's best drum line of the 70s was 1978--it had a legitimate shot at the drum trophy that year.

Thanks for the compliment on '77 Scouts. I assume you are refering to "America" solo? (second half of "West Side Story"). Personally I liked the drum chart to "Prologue," leading into "Cool" better (beginning of "West Side"). It wasn't a drum solo per se, but had some nice licks throughout. That piece and '75 "McArthur Park" were among my favorite tenor charts to play.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I was referring to the solo/chart leading into "America", definitely some sweet licks there. Madison's '78 line surely was amazing, the prototypical "balls to the wall/play lots of notes (me likey that :P ) type of line, not afraid to "expose themselves", something I can relate to, and appreciate.

Let me return the "thanks" for your compliment in regards to the Channel One solo, it was by far my favorite, and most special solo in my 6 years with the Devils.

Channel One in whole was definetly my favorite tenor chart, although "Ya Gotta Try" (quads) could be a very close second. To this day, I strap on the headphones and play to Channel One when I feel the need for notes.

Funny side note . . . the corps used to play "Spalding's Thing" whenever they were asked to play corps back onto the field for retreat.  It was hilarious watching all the other corps trying to march to it in step!   ^0^

LOl. Total blast from the past. Remember a few horn players getting upset when they couldn't figure out how to find the downbeat. Heh heh heh.....

Back when I was still teaching, the youngsta's all wanted to know how to play "the Bulgarian" from the '81 version of Sing Sing Sing. I still use it as a check up to make sure that I can still manage inverted flam taps and fast singles at my advanced age.... B)

Edited by mobrien

Back when I was still teaching, the youngsta's all wanted to know how to play "the Bulgarian" from the '81 version of Sing Sing Sing. I still use it as a check up to make sure that I can still manage inverted flam taps and fast singles at my advanced age.... B)

Matt, that SOOOOOO needed to be in the "Cosmo Barbaro" thread!!!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO

Watching lines warm-up was a true test of a drum lines skills and flair.

I never got a chance to watch ourselves warm up, but I remember the look on the crowds faces.

After watching drumlines warm up for years, once again IMHO, Blue Devils in 1976 has to be my favorite. Watching Rick Odello(I pray that's his name) sweep his arm across the entire line back and forth causing the "stereo-phonic" effect was nothing short of awesome.

Okay, solos:

The original version of SCV's Bird's 'o Fire in 1975 (alas the version no one heard)

Channel One, hands down.

Blue Devils version of ELP's version of Albero Genistera's (sp?)Piano concerto What years was that?

Blessed Sac and Boston Crusaders bass drum lines from the 60's

For flying sticks, Anaheim Kingsmen - no doubt.

And back to the parking lot, in SCV we played a piece called, "Tryptich", which was an arrangement of an Anthony Cirone piece of the same name. We mainly played it at clinics, but in 1974 we played it in Cornell just before going on to the field. Instead of the usual apllause, there was a quiet hush and a calm enveloped us. Anyone else experience that?

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

SCV TOR 2004

Thanks to all for helping with the names and years

of each solo, and all the great storys.

TIME TO LIST THE TOP drum solos

listed chronologically

1961 cavies undefeated?

1962 sac

1964 bac first year of metal shoes

may have been 1963? also the tenor solo

1965 coffin

into the bass intro to watermellom man

1966 sac/bac/cavies

1967 bac metal shoes and the 24 counter into

the double bass 3/4 intro to La Mancha

1968 sac/ bac/ cavies/st marys

1969 bac unsquare dance

1970 bac ballad for Giraffe

1971 scv

1974 scv

1975 madison

1976 blue devils/cavies

1977 BD

1978 BD

1979 SCV

1980 spirit/scv

please add and full in

THANKS

Edited by St_Marys64

Fred's Clock solo. I can't remember if it was first played in 72 or 73. I know the Alumni Corps played it in his honor in 02.

Paul

SCV 70-73

SCV Alumni Corps 97

SCV TOR Corps 04

Booster Pres. 95-96

I loved the Cavaliers solo in 1974 or 75...think it was called "Chump Change"

Mike Boo would know