WHEN DRUMS SOUNDED LIKE DRUMS

Edited by St_Marys64

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1965 THE SOLO INTO WATERMELLON MAN

Flam Drags into the 32nd singlestroke 9

I was honored to be able to play this one with the Royal Airs Alumni Corps in 2003.  It is called "The Coffin."  And yes, you are about half-dead when you get done playing it! 

1967 MEAT INTO METALSHOE'S TO TULIPS

AKA  THE ONE HANDER

PS.  Thank you Paul M. from the Cavies

You might also find it interesting that Tom Float felt this was one of the best solos ever too. He would teach it to all his lines (Oakland, Spirit, Blue Devils, VK, etc.).

Edited by Paul Milano

For sure SCV 80, Madison and 27 doing whatever that solo was. Madison 75 Dueling Banjos, and for those of you familiar with senior corps 1969-70 Toccata by the Pittsburgh Rockets. Well ahead of their time.

Rocketman - Pick up those tymps and MARCH!

ampssuck

moved to the historical forum

SCV's first solo in '75 was (imho, of course) one of the most sophisticated musical segments of its era, and would hold up very well today.

80 SCV: Stone Ground Seven....kevlar clean on mylar heads...un ####### believable!

80 Spirit: The Devil Went Down to Georgia...hey...it was a Float line with a 5 tick show!

81 Troopers: Turkey in the Straw: any corps that can make that tune into a good solo....best basses I've heard from the pre-pit era.

SCV's first solo in '75 was (imho, of course) one of the most sophisticated musical segments of its era, and would hold up very well today.

You beat me to it Mobrien.

I can't remember the name of that drum solo to save my life but I remember it was in 9/8 with the left foot on the downbeat of one coming only once every four bars. The second bar the mark time was all off beats. The third bar had the #1 down beat on the right foot, and the fourth bar was again all off beats. Try marking time to it sometime. It also had one of the most difficult tympani parts I've ever seen or heard. They were cranking their butts off!

'75 Santa Clara drumline, best of their era and way ahead of their time. :grouphug:

80 SCV:  Stone Ground Seven....kevlar clean on mylar heads...un ####### believable!

80 Spirit:  The Devil Went Down to Georgia...hey...it was a Float line with a 5 tick show!

81 Troopers:  Turkey in the Straw:  any corps that can make that tune into a good solo....best basses I've heard from the pre-pit era.

if i recall, wasnt the big tap roll section in Stone ground Seven flams til like 2 weeks before finals? i know i have heard this many times

'75 SCV (both)

'76 Cavies

'77 Madison

'78 Madison

'78 SCV

'79 Spirit

'80 Spirit

'80 SCV

Edited by Blue Devil Legend