2-valve G fingering chart needed

BariEuph

forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere, but i'm looking for a fingering chart (or just someone to list them all for me) for a two valved G bugle (treble clef)

forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere, but i'm looking for a fingering chart (or just someone to list them all for me) for a two valved G bugle (treble clef)

The only differences are that you won't have anything below middle C that normally has 3rd valve (Ab, for example). Ab above the staff is played 1st valve only. Other than that, it's all the same.

I find that if I squeel high enough on my two-valve baritone, I have a lot less fingerings to worry about. Aim high.

The hardest part is getting the A-flat on top of the staff up to pitch-- it's pretty flat when played first valve. Work on that.

I remember having a long, frustrating conversation with a baritone player once about how to play a two-valve. She kept asking, "Well, how do you play scales and stuff?"

Me: "Same as on a three valve horn."

Her: "And the scales you need the third valve for?"

Me: "Don't play them. Or take them up an octave."

Her: "I don't get it."

Me: "There's nothing to get. You just don't play third-valve notes."

Her: "But how does that work in music?"

Me: "Those notes are never written for two-valve bugles."

Her: "But what if they were?"

Repeat ad infinitum. Kids today.

thanks all :)

and yeah, a friend was trying to explain to me that you just don't play those notes, which boggled my 3-valve B-flat accustomed mind - just in that it limits the chords and inversions possible... but hearing G hornlines i can't think of any complaints :D

thanks all :)

and yeah, a friend was trying to explain to me that you just don't play those notes, which boggled my 3-valve B-flat accustomed mind - just in that it limits the chords and inversions possible...  but hearing G hornlines i can't think of any complaints :D

It's not that you don't play them....it's that pre 1990 bugles were simply physically incapable of playing them.

Keep in mind, tho, there were only 4 notes TOTAL that could not be played...C#, Db, Eb, and Ab, in/below the staff. Any 3rd valve note above the staff could be played with an alternate fingering (high Ab...1st valve, throw the 1st valve slide all the way in to tune it up).

It was really only a problem for the low brass...uppers usually played above teh middle Ab, whereas low brass played a LOT in the staff. It was partially solved by changing the key of the music to one that minimized the missing notes.

It's not that you don't play them....it's that pre 1990 bugles were simply physically incapable of playing them.

Keep in mind, tho, there were only 4 notes TOTAL that could not be played...C#, Db, Eb, and Ab, in/below the staff.  Any 3rd valve note above the staff could be played with an alternate fingering (high Ab...1st valve, throw the 1st valve slide all the way in to tune it up).

It was really only a problem for the low brass...uppers usually played above teh middle Ab, whereas low brass played a LOT in the staff.  It was partially solved by changing the key of the music to one that minimized the missing notes.

Called creative arranging :) Can you image what it was like in the day of one valve (and no valve) bugles. Have some early '50s recordings and can't describe the difference.