Contra Playa

TubaKenn

I'm going out for Contra this year for the Sac Mandarins and I could use some tips. Like the sound difference between a sousaphone and a contra? Is it easier to march with a contra than a sousa? Stuff like that. I already memorized the audition music and the Santa parade music. So I'm good on that. Got any tips? :blink:

well, contra is a wonderful instrument, and sousaphone is a really bad instrument unless you are in new orleans (then it is the best instrument (besides bone))

well, in marching band i marched sousaphone last year (because the tuba players are cool and my section was being really lame (basically i was the only baritone that knew anything and they hated me for it so i made their lives easier and left))

sousaphones

1. are really bad sounding instruments it makes your tone sound a lot huskier than concert tuba or contra (which is concert tuba on your shoulder basically)

2. are confining, marching techniques are usually based on lifting the upper body off of the lower body and it helps ALOT to lift your head (solved with contra's 10 degrees up or 15 or 20 (which ever your corps does)) lifting the arms from resting on your sides to where the valves on the contra are.

3. destroy your traverse (slide) because you have no lift on your spine.

4. wobble because they are resting on your side (basically on your upper leg) and not on your upper body which is the part you are keeping smooth.

personally, i dislike the sousaphone unless it is jazz. The sousaphone should have never been let on the field in my oppinion.

so

when you get your contra, you will be like oh my god i hate sousaphone.

personally im sticking to baritone for corps, and quiting marching band. kill two birds with one stone

I'm going out for Contra this year for the Sac Mandarins and I could use some tips. Like the sound difference between a sousaphone and a contra? Is it easier to march with a contra than a sousa? Stuff like that. I already memorized the audition music and the Santa parade music. So I'm good on that. Got any tips?  :worthy:

is it easier to march than a sousa? no...those things are just heavy, and the weight distribution is different. you'll get used to the weight after a couple of weeks, but the blood rushing away from my hands didn't really get any easier all season. just work on holding things in the air for a long time...if you have a 5-gallon (sparkletts like) water bottle...go for it, lift some weights to work your arms, shoulders and chest regions...but basically gotta just hold your horn is the only/best way. don't give up because i promise it does get easier in time.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going out for Contra this year for the Sac Mandarins and I could use some tips. Like the sound difference between a sousaphone and a contra? Is it easier to march with a contra than a sousa? Stuff like that. I already memorized the audition music and the Santa parade music. So I'm good on that. Got any tips?  :worthy:

A contra has, in general, a better tonality then a susa, more affluent, more defined bass sound. Some contras can be heavier then most susa’s but I think its worth it for the sound they generate. It sounds more like a marching "concert tuba", especially now with the new Bb's they have. I’ve been playing "contra" for 6 years and I still think it’s the best instrument in the marching brass ensemble. It’s really the foundational sound of the horn line and it’s also the largest. What more could you ask for?

PS

Playing upright walking bass parts are fun on contra. Now getting the contra to sound like an upright bass is another story :P

Edited by ECJ_Tuba

• 2 weeks later...

Do what I call "Contra Love"

Hold the contra at a down position in front of you for 10 seconds at arms reach... STRETCH THOSE ARMS!!

Then pull them into a regular down position for 2-5 seconds *my corps holds them ONE fist length away from our chest*

REPEAT AS NEEDED

do this for a couple minutes... give it rest... maybe do it later in the day... twice a day 7 days a week should work for you.

keep this up and holding it like you are suposed to will be simple... none of this using your gut as a shelf

by the way... sousas suck moose donkey

Edited by OC Euph

Build endurance for your back, shoulders and arms. I have seen very muscular guys that can't freaking hold there horn straight. Building muscles can help yes, but endurance is key.

For the playin part, well i never played sousa of my life, and never will, so i wouldn't know...

Good luck and welcome to the contra/tuba world!

^0^

• 3 weeks later...

You are defenatly going to want to get you arms in shape for the thing!!! Dont get scared when you first start drill, youll be fine, if you hit some one theyll live, I think i nailed about four people last year, each dent in that horn i have a story fory mostly because each dent in the horn i put in ... I was so scared that i would kill the horn during the first week of tour... anyway its going to be ruff the first couple of weeks but the pain just turns in to annoyance after awhile... its all mental, I i could do it any one defenatly can!!! as to the sousa question... The contra is alot better i hate the sousa... the only thing i can complain a bout the contra is that your blind on your left side so you should wach real carefully... hope this helps good luck!!!

Edited by swtrojan

When discussing the difference between the contra and sousa, the general conclusion if you have played both is not to play the sousa....at all.....ever again...