Call me stupid for not knowing..

Dukeboy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off the main difference of the Bb soprano compaired to a G soprano is the Key of the instrument. Bb being a concert pitched instrument is said to have better intonation than the G bugle but is also said to lack in projection. Some of the visual differences betweent the 2 are the amount of tubing one contains. Bb having less tubing and G having more, making it a longer instrument resutling in the lower pitch, the G bugle usually has a larger bore, but many bb horns are coming out wuith just as large bores as well.

As for the corps picking one over the other, tuning, tone quality, availibility, and cost are some of the major factors when chossing what a line should play on. As for todays brass lines, the majority have switched to Bb just to stay competitive with other corps that are using Bb as well.

Personally I dont think it is that big of difference to me who plays on what. I think it is a matter of who is playing on the horn which determines where they place in a competition.

Hope that is of some help.

as far as I know the range depends on the player. I could be wrong though.

Well ... the G bugles are pitched a third lower than their Bb counterparts, right? In the days of two-valve bugles, one way you could get used to playing a G horn was to tape down the third valve on your Bb instrument. (That essentially did the job, although intonation was terrible, of course.) The main benefits of Bb horns over G horns are more in the area of cost, availability, and quality of the instruments. Intonation tends to be better from a line using Bb and F horns, as well.

That said, whereas the G mellos, baris, euphs, and contras are almost exactly identical to their Bb and F counterparts, except for a few inches of tubing ... there are some differences between a soprano bugle and a trumpet. Namely, a sop has a larger and more conical bore. (I think.) I play euph, myself, but from what I understand, a soprano bugle in G is actually closer to a cornet than a trumpet.

from what I understand, a soprano bugle in G is actually closer to a cornet than a trumpet.

I think that is a fair statement with the possible exception that the soprano bugle in the key of G seems more free blowing and easier to project the sound with. I first learned to play brass on a cornet then played first G-D then G-F valve/rotor soprano for years. I play B flat trumpet now. :D

Bb being a concert pitched instrument is said to have better intonation than the G bugle but is also said to lack in projection.

Just for clarification, the key of Bb is not concert pitch, which is the key of C.

Another advantage of Bb/F instruments is to ease the transition for members from their regular instruments to the marching brass.

Other than Drum Corps, I can't seeing any reason for needing a G bugle. Maybe for memorabilia, I guess.