Call me stupid for not knowing..

Dukeboy

If you get a g, you'll generally be louder, or should be in most cases.

As far as I'm concerned, that's nothing more than a myth, and I've never seen any credible evidence to support the claim. Did you have a problem with the Cadets or Devils this summer? LOL

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm just trying to decide if i want to pick up a G bugle from Phantom that they are selling pretty cheap. You think it would be a good thing to have considering I already play Bb? "

What are you looking to do with it? ....or is it to have "just because"?

Wanting to have one just because is certainly a valid reason.

Wanting to have one because you will be able to actually do somethig with it might not be.....unless you are interested in joining a DCA corps.

Mike

True, true, I cannot vouch for the G sops being louder, but I would assume that since a corps would have to spend so much time getting in to, the intonation would be so clear, you would here a vast array of overtones and therefor making the sound louder. Make sense?

Not really. What are you trying to say? (I've noticed that the Bb/F lines usually have better intonation, actually ...)

From what i hae seen, G bugles have a heavier wall to them compaired to a Bobby Shew Z trumpet for example, therefore a much meatier sound with more focus to it, thats what i have noticed.

However, the DEG and Kanstul Bbs have as heavy a wall as their G counterparts, because, as has been noted elsewhere, they are essentially the same instruments but with more tubing in the G. And as for G sops being more like cornets than trumpets, that's not entirely accurate because sops actually have more cylindrical tubing than their Bb counterparts.

Professional trumpets are a different story, and aren't generally a good benchmark for judging marching instrumentation by; they're made different ways for many different reasons.

There is one other thing to consider. The Marching Band Market is one that could not tap into the Bugle family for marching instruments. Since these instruments are in a class all there own, it would be unfair to move a14-15 year old person to a new keyed instrument that played differently than the horn they used in middle school.

As for bore size. The bore size on a G soprano is 470, on a stock b-flat (Medium Large) trumpet would be 462. Large bore would result in a 468. The largest bore B-flat horn available is a 472. The second issue to consider is the construction of the two instruments. One has a bell flare made for projection and power (soprano) while the other has one for finesse and overall playing characteristics representative of a trumpet. Yes, you could put a soprano bell on a b-flat trumpet but you would loose some of the feel and slotting ability that a b-flat would have.

The b-flats that are being made, are made for outdoor playing. Larger bell flares, larger bore size. A larger instrument in general. There are some people in the drum corps community that are assisting these manufacturing companies to make a better marching horn, but the real reason is not to make money, but to keep an activity going that is obsolete in some peoples eyes. In many states, the marching activity is nonexistent. In other states, it is very much alive and well. Being a consultant for a marching brass company seems odd in that you limit your market of people you reach that will purchase the product you are working to make better. Don't get me wrong, I feel that the move to a B-flat hornline is inevitable, and now with practically all the top 12 hornlines playing on b-flats this next year, it wont be long before all corps are faced at either being nostalgic (G) or innovative (B-flat). Seems like even the stronger Division II and III corps may even move towards the B-flat line of instruments before it is all over. Isn't that a shame. What ever happened to the drum corps activity being something all its own. Not something that everyone could do.