Call me stupid for not knowing..

Dukeboy

Isn't that a shame. What ever happened to the drum corps activity being something all its own. Not something that everyone could do.

Changing to Bb instruments helps make drum corps more accessible for more people. Drum corps will still have the same level high expectations (take Cavies for example) which, to me, is what makes the activity something all its own. And if going to Bb helps get more kids involved in the activity, then so be it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Is it true that the Cavaliers don't march euphoniums? (I guess I didn't look closely enuff when I saw them this summer.) What about other Bb corps? I can't imagine Phantom without euphs. :(

Yamaha doesn't make marching euphoniums, so no, the Cavaliers (and any other corps on Yamaha Bb instruments) did not march euphoniums last summer. I believe both DEG and Kanstul's marching brass lines include euphoniums, however, though I'm not too sure about King's (what Phantom will be using).

And then there is SCV. I think they march about 22 euphoniums. :o

I recall reading on the Cavaliers' website a while back that they would be helping Yamaha develop a new marching euph (other than the nasty convertible euph they have <_< ), so maybe we'll see one in the future.

I'd rather see them put their resources towards developing more sturdy horns, though...

Yah ... convertable over-the-shoulder euphs are evil. Shame on Yamaha for even making them! I'm sure that since King has been developing a new line of marching horns in concert with PR, they probably will have a nice bell-fromt euphonium. Let's Yamaha begins making one, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some of those shoulder euphs for the first time this weekend. At first I didn't like them, then I thought about it. I would love to put a bunch of people in a high school band on Kanstul's behemouth bell-front Bb euph, but I doubt many in the line would be able to/ want to carry it. This horn gives you a gigantic euphonium sound a little person can carry.

That's my impression of why they designed it, but keep in mind I play soprano and trumpet....speaking of the original thread topic...I've played Kanstul's sopranos and trumpets, (well...the bluecoats' custom models of each) and the only thing I noticed different was the key. They both feel, sound, and project about the same. Just try and get a harmon mute to stick to that trumpet's bell. It definately has a bugleish flare on it.

That's all I've got.

John Schmitt

bluecoats soprano 97-01

• 1 month later...
The only reason you would ever need it while soloing is in a lating piece or you might use if for lead

or maybe some day down the line, you might like to participate in "Bugles Across America" and for that you'd need your own bugle..

Quite a program ... great way to say "thanks" to some of our departed veterans..

:) just a thought....

I think the biggest difference you will find is the clarity of the sound. You can play loud on both horns. I don't think there is a huge difference in overall sound if you are playing the horn the right way. Having played a G sop I would rather play on a trumpet any day. A Bb horn just slots the partials much better than the bugle. I also think having trumpets gets rid of the Audition weekend craziness. Especially in the top 12 corps. Those of you who have marched and been at these camps will agree. Lots of people standing around waiting for a chance to get on a horn. :angry: Anyhow those are just a few of my thoughts.

I think the biggest difference you will find is the clarity of the sound. You can play loud on both horns. I don't think there is a huge difference in overall sound if you are playing the horn the right way. Having played a G sop I would rather play on a trumpet any day. A Bb horn just slots the partials much better than the bugle. I also think having trumpets gets rid of the Audition weekend craziness. Especially in the top 12 corps. Those of you who have marched and been at these camps will agree. Lots of people standing around waiting for a chance to get on a horn. :angry: Anyhow those are just a few of my thoughts.

So what? The G bugle IS a different instrument than the

B flat trumpet and does have unique playing characteristics and

idiosyncracies which a competent bugler learns to compensate for. I

think that the G bugle is better suited to outdoor playing. Give me

an instrument anyday with a G bugle's responsiveness and flexibility.

When you play a double G on this instrument, the crowd will not only

hear it, but feel it...in the top row of the stadium... and isn't

that the reason they came to a drum corps show in the first place?

Geoff

soprano bugler 1965-1974 and 1999-2000

cornet player 1965-1970

trumpet player 1971-present

Thanks for all the clarification. I'm just trying to decide if i want to pick up a G bugle from Phantom that they are selling pretty cheap. You think it would be a good thing to have considering I already play Bb?

lol!

WHY would you buy it dude? Unless you have hundreds of dollars to toss around, or are an avid fan and owning such an instrument would be of value to you, there's absolutely no point. G sops were made to be played outdoors; so outside of corps (I'm assuming you don't march) the only place for you to play it would be marching band. Except, then you'd have to transpose ALL of the music from Bb to G, which is a pain in the butt to do. And if you were in a marching band that had any idea of blend or intonation or just matching pitches within sections -- you'd stick out like a sore thumb. While they're similar, Bb horns and G horns have a different timbre and different tendencies, and aside from the key, the differences are numerous: one has conical piping, more piping, a larger bore, is wrapped differently....etc...

Yes, it's easier to play higher in G, but like someone else said, you either have range or you don't. It's not like owning a G bugle includes killer chops by default. Whether G or Bb lines are louder or not, or one somehow more "innovative" than the other, is an entirely different debate; but as an individual, you're either loud or you're not.

Anyway. heh. I'm not calling you stupid, but I do think it's silly to consider buying a sop when you have no need for one. I think your time and money would be better spent just practicing.