Call me stupid for not knowing..

Dukeboy

...one has conical piping...

Well, actually, sopranos have more cylindrical tubing than Bb trumpets; that extra seven or so inches of cylindrical tubing is what puts it in G. Both trumpets and sopranos are considered cylindrical instruments, while cornets are conical.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway. heh. I'm not calling you stupid, but I do think it's silly to consider buying a sop when you have no need for one. I think your time and money would be better spent just practicing.

2 words:

SENIOR CORPS!!!! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Changing to Bb instruments helps make drum corps more accessible for more people. Drum corps will still have the same level high expectations (take Cavies for example) which, to me, is what makes the activity something all its own. And if going to Bb helps get more kids involved in the activity, then so be it.

I've never understood that argument. It's not like kids have to bring their own instruments to march with. That would be horrible, because then everybody would be on a different horn. Ugh. And as far as not having to "switch," come on. It's not like going from a Bb trumpet to a G Bugle requires a whole lot of change. Just a different ear. I know when I was in high school, I didn't even really have a good enough ear to get freaked out by the key change, and in fact I found it easier to get a good sound out of a soprano. I play mello (G) in drum corps now, and I find when I go back to my trumpet, my sound is 10x better.

On a side note-your point about having the same level of high expectations was a good one, until you put "(take the Cavies for example)." That was kind of funky. Almost insinuating that only select corps have a high level of expectations, when I would think it's pretty much the standard. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed like a kind of funny thing to say.

g

Well, actually, sopranos have more cylindrical tubing than Bb trumpets; that extra seven or so inches of cylindrical tubing is what puts it in G.  Both trumpets and sopranos are considered cylindrical instruments, while cornets are conical.

hahahaha.. I dunno how the horns are at blue stars; I know the div2 corps I used to march had a few sops that were made out of spare parts and had cylindrical bores; but I'll just disagree with you.

Edited by sonya

I've never understood that argument. It's not like kids have to bring their own instruments to march with. ... Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed like a kind of funny thing to say.

yeah man, I agree. I learned how to play on a two valve sop; so when I first started playing trumpet I was freaking out.. but now it's not much to go from one key to the other, although on occasion I still have trouble telling if I'm in the right partial or not.

I don't get how being in Bb would suddenly make the activity more "accessible to kids" either. For decades, being in G was never a problem, and suddenly there are people who consider Bb to be the answer to drum corps's prayers. Sure it was always a little nutty at the first camp with everyone getting used to it, but who cares. Drum corps is it's own beast and that was just part of the initiation process. If people really wanted to make it more accessible, they would shorten the length of tours, reduce the cost of fees, lessen the amount of time spent in the sun for those with sensitive skin, do less aerobic activity for those with asthma, etc....

So what? The G bugle IS a different instrument than the

B flat trumpet and does have unique playing characteristics and

idiosyncracies which a competent bugler learns to compensate for. I

think that the G bugle is better suited to outdoor playing. Give me

an instrument anyday with a G bugle's responsiveness and flexibility.

When you play a double G on this instrument, the crowd will not only

hear it, but feel it...in the top row of the stadium... and isn't

that the reason they came to a drum corps show in the first place?

Geoff

soprano bugler 1965-1974 and 1999-2000

cornet player 1965-1970

trumpet player 1971-present

Spoken like a true trumpet player. I love it! Of course that's why they come to the show. To hear us wail!!! However I still think a trumpet is more responsive and sounds better than what a bugle can offer. What about BDs show this year when the soloist turned back field and slide up to the double G before the plunger solo? I'm pretty sure everyone felt that. Bugles were designed for outdoor use so I buy into that part a bit. However I think we will hear cleaner runs and just better playing on trumpets. It would be fun to hear a corp play a show with the bugles, then do another run right afterwards with trumpets just so we could all write down our notes, compare thoughts and settle this once and for all!!!! :)

So what? The G bugle IS a different instrument than the

B flat trumpet and does have unique playing characteristics and

idiosyncracies which a competent bugler learns to compensate for. I

think that the G bugle is better suited to outdoor playing. Give me

an instrument anyday with a G bugle's responsiveness and flexibility.

When you play a double G on this instrument, the crowd will not only

hear it, but feel it...in the top row of the stadium... and isn't

that the reason they came to a drum corps show in the first place?

Geoff

soprano bugler 1965-1974 and 1999-2000

cornet player 1965-1970

trumpet player 1971-present

...What about BDs show this year when the soloist turned back field and slide up to the double G before the plunger solo? I'm pretty sure everyone felt that. Bugles were designed for outdoor use so I buy into that part a bit. However I think we will hear cleaner runs and just better playing on trumpets. It would be fun to hear a corp play a show with the bugles, then do another run right afterwards with trumpets just so we could all write down our notes, compare thoughts and settle this once and for all!!!! :)

Yes, I heard (felt BD's soloist) :o

Of course the most important sound factor is the performer, but for the average soprano/trumpet player on the field I still maintain that G sopranos make sense.

As for a direct comparison with a division I line on the field using each instrument type, that would be interesting. Check this out in the absence of the availability of such a recording... 1981 SCV (also 1973) vs. 2001 Cadets playing "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra". This may be an imperfect comparison of G vs. B flat soprano/trumpet sound (different drill positioning, different arrangements ? different keys). However, if you listen to the trumpet sound in the climax fugue set against the half time baritone melody, the trumpet sound just does not cut and carry through the baritone line the way it did with SCV using G sopranos; especially on the ascending runs. I have always suspected that the use of trumpets by Cadets was the reason.

I think what is also at issue here is the preservation of the uniqueness of the drum corps brass sound as distinct from band brass instrumentation. I fear that once B flat instrumentation becomes universal in drum corps, that special character that set drum corps apart will be only a memory that you will need to listen to old recordings to enjoy any more. As I write this I had a recent drum corps recording playing in the background and the beautifully projected character of the sopranos caught my ear...? B flat, NOT! 2001 Phantom Regiment on G bugles!