Review of DCA DVD

:worthy: A very impressive DVD I must say, of the finals show. I 've watched it on my Bose System, and the sound is awesome!! Totally blasting the music is GREAT. Picture quality is superb.

Govenaires.....now this corp has gonads. To come out that small and be that exposed is a feather in each and every one of their caps (if they wore any) lol.

They put on a fantastic show (bari soloist was great as were ALL the soloist guys)

If I lived in the midwest, I'd have to give them a shot, one exciting and fun filled drum corps!! Thank you.

Grenadiers...I saw them once before this year, but they really turned it on at finals. Nice freakin' drum line, way to go!!Great bari solo here too, much better then I've seen them. They put on a show that entertained the audience. Thanks for making this a night to remember, and congratulations on your Class A Championship. I look forward to next years show, I hope Canada comes out really strong!

CorpsVets....whew....this corps reminds me of the old time Skyliners!! Whail !! And this is 10th place?? Cannot believe it. Guard was great (uni's must go though-kinda killed the effect of such a good guard). I think this guard was borrowed from some big Jr. corps because they really catch your eye. Hornline and drumline looked like the drum corps of old. I just loved them. I heard one problem spot between the drums, horns and pit, but you got through it just fine. And you ended the show WAY too early....we wanted more!! This is one corps that everyone should watch out for....if they keep up what they are doing, they will be vying for a top spot pretty soon.

Hurricanes....a little disappointed at the beginning,....but wait....they get better as they go along. Nice way to feature the drumline, by hiding the horns....good effect, and those rifles...wow....another Jr. corps guard. Where are these corps coming up with such great guards? Great show folks. The ending of the show brought me out of my seat....loved it.

Bushwackers.....first time viewing this corps this year. Now I was impressed last year as it was, now you turned it up a notch...whoopie. Great show for you folks too. Drumline featured very nice, and the hornline played some great stuff. Drill was pleasing to watch also. Nothing bad here....and another guard that knows how to work it! I'm not even a guard person, but I just can't help but notice how good they all are.

Inspires....another great show. Quieter than most corps but not to be missed. They really work out there, you can see it on their faces. And to think that this was their first show of the year? (so I heard). Drill was simpler than most, but they pull it off rather well. Another fantastic guard too. They are better than they were two years ago, but so is everyone else, so they really couldn't get much higher. If they were based in the States, they would cause some problems throughout the season, believe me.

MBI....can't figure this one out. Again, this year, they had the least amount of spacing problems of all the corps. I don't know what the judges are seeing that's so bad??? I think they looked great. Must be another Jr. guard because they were putting out a fantastic show too. Huge guard....they must have borrowed Phantom Regiments guard....too good to be a Sr. corps. lol, just another sensational guard....one caption that I wouldn't want to judge. Drumline moves like a hornline does, and they play at the same time. No wonder they won their caption....they are really a great looking drumline! The show could have a little more 'spunk', but the ending is fantastic too. Can't help but jump out of your seat. I think they should have been MUCH closer to Cabs...MUCH closer.

Renegades.....the crowd favorite at prelims. Another huge guard that can put on a show. Although I didn't see much of a storyline there and Channel One didn't seem to fit the theme either. I didn't get the evil vs good thing, but who cares, they put on a great show. Comment about the drum major at the beginning is great, what a great way to start your show, really pump everyone up. Where did this guard come from? I think every corp is using the same guard! A real entertaining show though and the crowd liked it.

Buccaneers....WOW....what a show. Loved that show. Great meld of the drill and music. Another great guard too. Drumline was awesome and can really march well. Cymbals are very noticeable too. So much work goes into this show. The very end is another get up and yell. Well deserved third place!! I didn't think the baris and such were as big a hit as I was told they would be. They blended very well into the show and didn't over power the rest of the hornline. A show to be proud of that's for sure!! The only Sr. corps that can play classical music the way it should be played. Thank you Buccs, most impressive.

Caballeros.....this show (IMO) was even better than last years show. The drill might have been too hard for some, but it was still exciting. Soloists were the tops! Nice pictures on the field and the transitions were pretty good too. The very start of the show is such an eye-opener...WOW...and you ended it just as sweet! The ballad was beautiful. The guard was big too, I just couldn't see them taking the guard trophy. They didn't stand out as in previous years, but none the less they were still good. Obviously...they won the guard trophy. (duh). Congratulations to the guard people, it means a lot to them, I know that!

Brigadiers....what else can be said about this show. Parts of it were really exciting. The only drum major that can do an about face, perfect!ly! (See, someone noticed)

Show isn't as thrilling as it could have been IMO. I do love the ballad though...like the old Bushwackers, great tune. The last song (ending) was fantastic. The music really got me here, until I really saw that guard (or is that two guards combined). During the early part of the show the rifles were a little sloppy, but they really improved as they progressed thru the show. And that ending, with the guard behind the corp is goose bump city. Amazing! My vote for best guard, just look at their faces, they are really into this show. Thank you for this entertainment. I just love watching the Brigadiers, and so did the crowd. Too close to call.

Empire....another great guard. Not one corp had a bad guard at this years DCA...can you believe it? This guard really wored it too, and their expressions were as good as the Brigs guard. (Maybe a slight better). This show made me go back and watch the Madison version....and believe it or not, this one is better. The music is easier to understand. The drumbreak in the opening song is fantastic too. This was a very entertaining show. You had to bend an ear to hear the soft parts and were blown back at the loud parts (hey, that's the way it'ssupposed to be). Great job people!! The backdrops (props) were amazing too, especially the blood coming down during the 'murder' scene. Nice job. This corps sure knows how to use props, that's for sure. (They even used a tank one year). Anyway, a well deserved first place, congratulations.

This years DCA is by far the best ever. The DVD will be used over and over again, so if you don't have it...GET IT. You won't be sorry in the years to come.

The top ten corps and not a single dissapointment. There was something in each and every corps to make you cheer.

Thank you all (the participants) for entertaining the masses and giving us a year to remember!

:worthy:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COuld you do prelims if you;ve got the DVDs? I'm sure Heat Wave, Gulf Coast Sound, and the rest would like some reviews, too!! (and yes, I did not mention a certain 1st timer from out west 'cause I didn;t want to troll for comments....OOPS!!)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I CANNOT believe the customer service at that place, my friend ordered a 2003 DVD for us as a present in August. It is now November! They claimed they misread the order "thinking it was an order for 2005".

You know what they say about "assuming"...and I think they should offer him a dvd from 2005 just because they were so long in trying to remedy it. Then they said they mailed it out regular mail...and we should have it within a few days. Well, it's been a "few days" still and no DVD. They should've at least sent it out ups or something...just for customer service.

Geez, that is just awful, customer service, I can't believe this, I never had to put up with ANYTHING like this from DCI, and I won't be buying anything ever from them. We were thinking about it, but because of this situation we won't be. <**>

I apperciate the fact that my friend was trying to get me this as an anniversary present for September 27 and he ordered the DVD for 2003 in August so it would get here in time, but because somebody misread the order, still, it is November 5th and no dang DVD.

Don't tell me I shouldn't be complaining, I am complaining because I think they should offer something to my friend who bought it. I think that would be the right thing to do in this situation, and I may just write them a letter after I get the DVD telling them so.

I just wanted to post this here, in case anyone else had any similiar experiences regarding this.

Edited by Lancerlady

I can't say enough POSITIVE things about the video company. I have dealt with them on many occassions for both band and drum corps. Each time they have bent over backwards to accomodate me.

People may be unhappy with the video, but I'm shocked to hear the customer service wasn't up to snuff. I've had nothing but the best of experiences.