Best Memory

I remember 1976 - Goerge Vetter Stadium in North Tonawanda, NY at the NT Open. We finished a long parade and then a short rehearsal and on to A Class competition. We had a decent corps and 38 horns, 7 snares, 24 in the guard. During retreat our name was still not mentioned and then they announced that the Krescendos were in second, we couldn't believe that we won. It was a memory I'll never forget. Prior to that we had to walk from our rehearsal site to the stadium, crossing a highway. We were so quiet all the way there. No one said, "no talking" it was just a given.

The next day the director quit, we went to Philly for our first DCI and didn't make finals. Oh well, it was a great season and I'll truly remember that.

Oh man...so MANY great memories.

Two stand outs are: jamming with SCV's drum line in 1982 in New York somewhere. After the show we (Madison) didn't leave the field. SCV won the show, and after they were acknowledged as winners, we marched up behind them and integrated into their line. They opened up a space between each snare and we just slid right in. VERY cool! They were super nice guys, and GREAT players.

Also, again SCV, but this time in Whitewater, WI. in 1976. DCI Midwest was held there at the time, and the corps used to have to march around the back of the concession stand behind the stadium and go down these long stairs to the field individually. UHHH! Horrible. But I was buying a soft drink, and when I turned around there was SCV snare line (leading the whole drum line) walking silently by. People just opened up and parted for them, like the Red Sea, and I think my jaw was hanging open about a foot. Very cool memory...

Two from 1970....

My first contest as a Garfield Cadet, the Preview of Junior Champions in Bridgeport...singing the Holy Name song just prior to taking the field....marching onto the starting line and seeing the huge crowd cheering for US. I was used to competing in the Garden State Circuit (class 'B') in front of 100 people or less at most of the shows in 68/69.

At VFW's in Miami...being told beforehand by Tony Schlechta of the VFW that we didn't even belong at the show bacause of our Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit"...as we turned from facing backfield to move the Peace sign forward in the climax of the piece...thousands of flashbulbs bursting in our faces and the crowd cheering for us.

Getting back to our hotel after marching the VFW parade through Dallas just in time to see ourselves on TV, as the parade was broadcast on a tape delay.

Mike

the week of championships, 1979.

The last show before prelims was at JSU, almost a "home" show for Spirit. We broke 90 that night ( before it became a common occurance ) and beat SCV in the process.

We were 4th at finals, and while there was some dissapointment that we weren't 3rd, I felt a great deal of pride, looking around near the end of retreat and seeing 4 corps left on the field. BD, PR, SCV, and our 3rd year corp, Spirit of Atlanta.

MikeD, I can relate to your story. In '78, one of the "beautiful people" of DCI had been quoted as saying "There will never be a major drum and bugle corp from the South". Doesn't it feel good proving people like that wrong??

MikeD, I can relate to your story.  In '78, one of the "beautiful people" of DCI had been quoted as saying "There will never be a major drum and bugle corp from the South".  Doesn't it feel good proving people like that wrong??

Absolutely!

Boy, I always loved Spirit of Atlanta when I started watching them in the late 70's. A great corps!

Mike

So many great memories!

1970- Racine

Our first show in the Mid-west was the Kilties home show. We had just beaten VK & AK for the CA state championships, so we knew we had a pretty good corps. This was the big time though! All the Mid-west power corps was there except the Cavies. The show was such a big deal Fleetwood was there to record it. I can remember seeing the Troopers & Kilts for the first time and feeling so small next to them. Not more than eight measures into our show the crowd erupted into a standing “O”. They only sat when we stopped for concert. Once we got into our concert, (from Fiddler), the crowd once again rose to their feet. They didn’t sit for the rest of the show. I’ll never forget the sound after we stopped playing. The crowd was going nuts and the PA announcer was yelling “Wonderful show! Wonderful show! The Santa Clara Vanguard! I had the LPof that performance, but I think my brother ended up with it. I’ll see him this Christmas and I’ll see if he still has it. I would love to relive that moment. By the way, we beat everybody that night except the Troopers; (we lost by a penalty). I truly believe that show was the birth of the “Santa Clara Vanguard”!

1971 – Dallas

I remember standing on the field of the Cotton Bowl waiting as the scores were announced. I was so nervious to this day I couldn’t tell you who finished second, but I’ll never forget the elation when it wasn’t us. Hearing the announcer’s “in first place the Santa Clara Vanguard! We were the undisputed champions of drum corps! Kind of sad that today because of the advent of DCI many people don’t respect the title (even within the SCV organization).

1973 – Whitewater

Our first DCI Championship and vindication for 72! People forget in 72, finals was our only loss that year and that we took pre-lims by 2.5! We truly marched a horrible show that night and didn’t deserve to win. In today’s system we would have still won (how sad)!

Great memories all, but if I had to choose one it would be 70 Racine!

I am somewhat cross posting this reply in theme alone, so be patient. One of my fondest memories of touring in drum corps was in a town called Swampscott, Mass. If any of you are familier with it, you may know what I mean. It was, in the early 70's, a lovely little burg that was nestled right on the Atlantic, with the center of the town being This wonderful church, with a large, sweeping lawn that cascaded down into the front door area. One day, in the midst of tour and all of the stresses that go along with that, we were getting ready to go rehearse, when it began to rain. It wasn't one of those rains you run inside from, but one of those rains you lift your head towards the sky and drink from. Spontaneously we began to play "Slippery Slide" down the lawn in front of this church. We were laughing and screaming just like a bunch of kids - well, actually we were a bunch of kids. There was also this little Hoagie shop sort of off the the coast where we fast became friends with the owners and their kids. It's the plase where I had my first Hoagie and Frapp ( the name still cracks me up).

Like I said, I have a lot of fond memories from my years marching in drum corps, but this hased to be one of my fondest.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

the week of championships, 1979.

The last show before prelims was at JSU, almost a "home" show for Spirit.  We broke 90 that night ( before it became a common occurance ) and beat SCV in the process.   

We were 4th at finals, and while there was some dissapointment that we weren't  3rd, I felt a great deal of pride, looking around near the end of retreat and seeing 4 corps left on the field.  BD, PR, SCV, and our 3rd year corp, Spirit of Atlanta.

MikeD, I can relate to your story.  In '78, one of the "beautiful people" of DCI had been quoted as saying "There will never be a major drum and bugle corp from the South".  Doesn't it feel good proving people like that wrong??

Oh yes I remember that. How sweet it was. I remember at the end, throwing my gloves to the fans. I felt like a rock star. Does that stuff happen anymore????????? I didn't notice it at DCI 2003. b**bs

I like reading the stories of when corps came into their own. SCV in 70 shocking the crowd. Blue Devils in 74 and 75 establishing a name for themselves then nailing it to the wall in 76. Troopers and the impact they've had.....Garfield in 82, etc.