Happy 25th Anniversary!

The correct corps won DCI that year, but I agree it seemed like sort of an off year for everyone. I attribute it to the transition of style and design that was going on...

I think you're right. And when I say that, I don't mean that I think every corps had a better show in '80 than in '79, because I don't think that's true, either. But overall, I feel like '79 was very much a transitional year for many corps . . . and for competitive drum corps, in general.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord, I can't imagine the shape your copy is in. You must go blind watching it! My band director made a copy for me, and my copy is pretty degraded. Tragically, the worst part, in terms of video quality, is at the very beginning of the tape: Blue Devils. Argh! Anyway, then I made a copy for Malibu off that, and she must've made a copy for you.

Are you talking about 1980 prelims? Just wondering.

I had 10/10 vision until 2 years ago, it's now 10/15. I didn't know why the eye doctor was calling me "Ted", I guess Ted Williams could see the seam of the ball as it went by, he had 10/10 vision.....that's what doc told me anyway.....so I kind of can see it pretty clear....but I like it up close and personal. I can't watch too much high camera.

By the way, I thought Spirit's rifles were much cleaner in 80. I saw many, many things that were done again in 80 and actually much, much more! Of course almost 98% of our show didn't change, so I'm no one to talk.

I wish they had kept their equpiment for much longer in 1980...with that much talent in both left and right hands, (they didn't favor one side/hand-arm or the other-one of the signs of greatness I think) I wish they hadn't put them down so early in concert. But clearly what they did worked!!! There was more cleaning to do, but all in all they did very, very well doing so much! :rolleyes:

Now I must go to the finals recap!

Just a side note, they did have an ex-Lancer alum and rifle instructor teaching them in 80. He began/arrived there on that horrible summer day!! He and the corps were very sad and I'm sure in shock and disbelief as you all know!

Thanks!!! :)

Edited by LancerFi

LOL! I remember so vividly people complaining that Blue Devils were boring. I laughed and said, "Yet you're still here watching them!" :rolleyes:

lol, yea.....being classified as "boring" and "robotic" kinda sucked, but was taken with a grain of salt.

Nancy, are you trying to recall the Garfield Cadets singing?????? :rolleyes:

Does she get to wear the hotpants while doing it? I just got around to watching Garfield on the 77 DVD this weekend - had COMPLETELY forgotten about that little guard fashion don't, for so many aesthetic reasons they can't be counted. B) (though they looked hot on most of the Blah...er, I mean "Blue" Stars girls....)

On the other hand, watching the early to mid 80s DVD's is s vertable non-stop "What Not to Wear" show as far as guard unis go, so maybe Garfield '77 wasn't so bad.

Nancy, are you trying to recall the Garfield Cadets singing?????? :rolleyes:

Nope, I was replying to you saying "Nope, can't do it" in regards to BD being boring....and my reply was:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-MEN in agreement with you, but it can be both I guess!! :P

Matt and Nancy, you both don't remember Garfield singing "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEN" at the end of their show in '79???????? :rolleyes:

Remember they held up a sign in Birmingham that said:

"Sorry no vocal amen due to 1 point penalty"????

Now, how about a 1981 retrospective???? :)

Matt and Nancy, you both don't remember Garfield singing "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEN" at the end of their show in '79???????? :rolleyes:

No, I do (they also did it in '78). But the hotpants spurred all sorts of other unrelated memories.

My question was whether the guard was really playing the horns in the end of the show or faking it. I couldn't tell an appreciable increase in volume, then or now....

Remember they held up a sign in Birmingham that said:

"Sorry no vocal amen due to 1 point penalty"????

Now, how about a 1981 retrospective???? :)

Hey uncle z....I remember that! I have a picture of it some where.

YES.......1981 retrospective! b**bs

And after the last note of "Children of Sanchez", there is a face shot of a soprano with glasses on.  That's dc oldtimer!!

Hey Z, thanks for pointing out my 3 seconds of fame! Also notice that my glasses were starting to fall off my face :rolleyes: The sweat was pouring off my face and I forgot my glass straps that held my glasses up. MAN it was hot that night in Birmingham!

When the show was broadcast, seconds after they did that close up of me, my parents phone kept ringing for hours. I guess more of my family watched it then I thought.

Anyway, that was my last time in uniform :( I went on to supposively bigger and better things..... work. ARGH!!!!!!!

Anyway, that was my last time in uniform  :(  I went on to supposively bigger and better things..... work. ARGH!!!!!!!

Yes, Mitch, think of the good times you missed out on--not being able to age out with uncle z!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well, anyway we can STILL raise a glass of CS and sing "What's 3 + 2?" right??? :)