What's The Funniest Nickname You Know...

Okay. 82 through 87. A little guy who's mom always gave him a bowl haircut. BUT he genetically had pointy ears. We (even the staff, because no one could remember his name) called him "Spock". Hee!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.  82 through 87.  A little guy who's mom always gave him a bowl haircut.  BUT he genetically had pointy ears.  We (even the staff, because no one could remember his name) called him "Spock".  Hee!

He must have had a cousin in Toledo-We had a "Spock" too! b**bs

Let's see..We also had:

Dolly(as in Parton)-One of the girls in the rifle line for VERY obvious reason(s)

"Eddie The Robe"-one of our M&M instructors who had a habit of wearing a bathrobe to rehearsals AND shows(side note-Some of you ex-Kingsmen out there know this guy,He was one of your Drum Majors!)

"Doyle"- Ya know that kid that every corps had, the one that wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and just didn't get it, no matter what you tried? THAT was "Doyle".

How we came up with that I don't remember, it just seemed to fit.

And Me? I was "Lurch" -I'm 6'4" and back in my marching days weighed about 135 soaking wet so it seemed to be a natural

We had several others that aren't fit for "Family Freindly" publication!

Edited by Bob Brady

"Doyle"- Ya know that kid that every corps had, the one that wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and just didn't get it, no matter what you tried? THAT was "Doyle".

We had several others that aren't fit for "Family Freindly" publication!

I think we had a few too many of these guys...one's real name is Craig!!!! :P

And not the one you're thinking about Bob Brady!!!! :worthy:

Edited by ODBC

I've written an article on DCI about my nickname, but will repeat it here. I went to my high school campus one evening for some music function. Went with a trumpet player. BD was practicing in the parking lot. We had no clue what drum corps was, nor the BDs. We were interested in the sound and volume, and learning more about the horns, which we couldn't figure out (piston rotors). BD broke and went inside and the two of us followed.

My family had horses back then, and I was wearing a blue felt aussie style hat, pinned up on one side. I also wore horned rimmed glasses. If any of you have any DCW publications from around '73, look for the characature of the Trooper's back then. It could have been me.

We walk in the building and one of the baritone players starts to laugh and says I look like I'm right out of the Troopers. I didn't know who the BDs were, much less the Troopers. A few minutes later some other horn players approach me to ask if I was from the Trooper. Ignorance is bliss. My answer was 'What's a Trooper?'. The name stuck. Is still used to this day.

We also had Zero (a reference to IQ), Dufus (obvious), Zufus (a combination of the first two), Red Freak (yeah), Mac & Goof (both names originated in another corps). I'm sure there are more, but that is what I have now.

• 2 months later...

JMS4681:

Yes, there were many good nicknames back in Boston during the "60"s.

Buff, Lil Buff, Rudi, Chairs, Cackles, Hondo, Senator, Governor, the last two were the first out of state kids to join the corps, they were from Canada.

CODI