What's The Funniest Nickname You Know...

I marched with a guy named "Cornbread" that has kind of a funny story with the name. I believe he got the name from Ralph Hardimon when he marched SCV, but a couple years later he was the Rack Set player in BD's pit under the Floats. We were doing a clinic at whatever school we were staying for DCI South. Float introduced Cornbread has he would to a little solo thing for the crowd. During the Q and A portion of the clinic, someone asked Tom if "Cornbread" was his real name, and Float replies something to the effect of "of couse not, it's short for Cornelius Breadoligist".

I guess it's a you had to be there kind of thing, but Float really killed with that one.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Float, he came out to Suncoast as a consultant in the winter of 82. He was working the snares on simply bringing out their sticks together. One guy could not do it without the sticks touching the head of his drum. :worthy: (shows you how far we had to go). The guy's name was Hezakiah. We called him Hez.

By the time Float was done with this simple exercise his name had been changed to Izzz. B)

Cornelious, LOL! I remember Cornbread being introduced at the Family Night show by Float.

Let's see if I can remember a few:

• Fifi - female upper lead sop in the 80/81 BD horn line from Quebec
  • The Degenerits - group of drummers that pretty much created havoc throughout the corps. They were dreaded come the night before free-day. You migh find your luggage suspended from the rafters in the morning or wake-up in a puddle of shaving cream. They always did their work at night when the corps was asleep
  • Taters - one night at a corps party after rehearsal, this particular individual got a serious case of the munchies (ahem) and passed out on the couch with an empty box of frozen Tater Tots.
    He had a song dedicated to him; David Lee Roths "He's just a gigilo" song. "I an't got no taters, no taters, no taters...a BOP...a boisy boisy bop, tater tot". At the Montreal show in 85, we were lined up next to Two Seven getting ready to go on to retreat when over the stadium sound system this song comes on. The Blue Devil horn line circled up around Taters and sang the song to him all the while Two Seven is just staring at us, probably amazed that we felt singing the Tater Tot song was more important than going out for retreat. That was a hilarious moment singing that song.
  • Hackmaster has been covered by Sam
  • Stay Puft Marshmelloman - He also had his own song. "He's out of step, he's out of control, looks like we're gonna fill that hole"
  • Half Dick, Howdy Doody. HD was because his parents were inter-racially mixed and Howdy Doody had a caucasion brother while Howdy was afro-american. Howdy Doody because he had freckles like Howdy Doody
  • Erfdy - one of the guys that got hammered on quite a bit for not always being up to our standards in performance.
  • Bat Mite - Female french horn player that was the shortest person in the corps. She marched next to Howdy Doody who was one of the tallest. Bite Mite was a cartoon character was short, I guess.
  • Pooh Bear - built like Pooh Bear but could play the #### out of his horn (solo'd in Dindi in 81)
  • Ratless - Ray Atlas, now doing the Opera thing in Milan
  • Guido - Gino Cipriani's nickname in 83.
  • Bubba - one of the guys that came out from Florida Wave with Gino
  • Zipperhead - BD DM
  • Dunt Dunt - BD DM

Okay, I was a little reluctant to add this, but in 1976 when I first got to the Kingsmen I helped the cymbal line - most had never even seen a drum corps, let alone marched in one. There were two guys who were just not getting it, so I named them Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Tweedle Dee eventually outgrew his moniker, but Tweedle dum sort of grew into it. We shortened it to Tweedle, and I believe it followed him for most of his drum corps life - he went on to march BD and that was how he was known, from what I am told.

I raise a glass to Tweedle, wherever you are.

[*] Stay Puft Marshmelloman - He also had his own song.  "He's out of step, he's out of control, looks like we're gonna fill that hole"

He finished the season, tho...85 also (unless it was in 85 you were referring to)

[*] Half Dick, Howdy Doody.  HD was because his parents were inter-racially mixed and Howdy Doody had a caucasion brother while Howdy was afro-american.  Howdy Doody because he had freckles like Howdy Doody

BWHAAA!!! SOOOO true!!!

[*] Bat Mite - Female french horn player that was the shortest person in the corps.  She marched next to Howdy Doody who was one of the tallest.  Bite Mite was a cartoon character was short, I guess.

I NEVER Knew Lisa's nick was Bat Mite!!!

[*] Ratless - Ray Atlas, now doing the Opera thing in Milan

Ahhh....forgot about Ray

[*] Zipperhead - BD DM

[*] Dunt Dunt - BD DM

'K...I know Zipperhead was Gary...but Dunt Dunt wasn't Brent, was he??

:worthy:

I may be treading on desicration here, but most of my friends from MBI got their start with the old St. Paul Scouts.

Most of them had nicknames given to them in their early years with the 'B' corps or when they made the big corps.  Among them were:

Chico (obviously Latin)

Skinny ( 'cause he still is)

Jeep (his name was Gene, named after Eugene the Jeep in Popeye)

Water ( short for waterbuffalo, he was a pretty large guy)

Creek (Water's brother...Big water, little creek)

Head Job(your guess is as good as mine)

Omar (looked like Sharif)

Sieg (short for Siegfried, I think Bernie Kopell's character in Get Smart)

Ghetto(cause he grew up there)

Rigid (even parade Rest was attention for this guy)

Skip (still haven't learned this one, most folks don't know his real first name)

Tuna (a derivitive of Tunison, his last name)aka Three-na

Iggy Bob( Iggy stands for Ignorant)

Some of the old Midwest guys may remember these guys!

There are tons of MBI ones, but these are the ones that are most memorable.

Some of them have been given more than one, some are better than others.

Doones ( her name was Lorna)

Corky ( apparently he bobbed like one while marching as a youngster)

Big Bruce and Little Bruce (a pair of bass drummers)

Bimbo/Simba

The Whippet

Anoka Flash (everybody knows him)

Sipper (cause he was always sippin a beer)

Bufu (Ghetto's younger brother)

and one of our most famous -' Porkchop' (he tried to grow mutton chop sideburns, and LambChop was just NOT going to work)

Some of us will call him Choppy,

but his wife calls him PORK !!!

Not my favorite..even tho' he's my nephew!!

Pat

Okay, I was a little reluctant to add this, but in 1976 when I first got to the Kingsmen I helped the cymbal line - most had never even seen a drum corps, let alone marched in one. There were two guys who were just not getting it, so I named them Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Tweedle Dee eventually outgrew his moniker, but Tweedle dum sort of grew into it. We shortened it to Tweedle, and I believe it followed him for most of his drum corps life - he went on to march BD and that was how he was known, from what I am told.

I raise a glass to Tweedle, wherever you are.

Tweedle, we miss you where are you? His real name is Bill and he was our big bass drummer :angry::worthy::worthy:

In 27th, we had a few memorable ones. In early 1973, Ike Ianessa (RIP), our drill instructor, told our American flag gal to do something. For you newbies, when Ike said something, you DID it without question. As he turned around and walked away, Beth decided to raise her middle finger at him, and as her luck would have it - Ike turned around to say "one more thing" and saw her raised finger. He simply told her that she WILL wear a band-aid on that finger for the rest of the year. Beth instantly became "Birdie" and kept a container of band-aids in her glove compartment.

Also in 73, we had a large influx of new members - and it seemed there were 8 or 9 guys named Jim. One Italian kid would up with the nickname Fruitman, as he resembled an Italian street vendor in Boston's North End.

In 77, we had a great kid join. He wasn't the fastest thinker, he wasn't the greatest hornplayer, he was just a very good person and curious about everything in Lancer land. Since he was tall, and with big feet, the hornline nicknamed him "OZOB" - because people didn't have the b#lls to call him BOZO to his face. He was cool with it, and he was a great member.

One name that has stuck with one great member from 1973 - and who's name is also Jim - was nicknamed Hymie. He's got a nose and hairline that resembles someone from another ethnic heritage and he named himself Hymen J Goldstein. Hymie is a man for the ages - an absolute great comic and had the corps in laughter when we needed it most.