DCI 1982

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But could you imagine the folklore that would have been generated if the guard fell down during the Bottle Dance!?

No. That would've been truly heartbreaking. I'm glad it didn't happen! After all, everybody remembers the spill Garfield suffered in Whitewater in '84. I really don't think any corps wants to be remembered that way . . . especially not at finals.

Sorry guys,coming in a little late on this......

Here comes the story from a guard member that night.

Things did not go  well in 82  as it did for  1st surprise Bottle Dance for finals in 1979.

Now, back in those days, SCV always stayed in hotels for DCI Finals. (1982 was the last year for hotel stays.)

Gail told the us we would put in the Bottle Dance for finals about 3 days before that night.

Lenny Kruszecki, our guard instructor, had us (the guard) up at 3 am, down in the hotels banquet room taking one side of the 50 at a time learning the Bottle Dance and move  going in to the salute. *We were not a happy bunch of gals  the next few mornings.

Yes, we were told to always go with the drum line if need be.

Here is the picture:

Hornline on their knees - front side line

Behind them -Guard

Behind us -Drum line...

Zap (Mike Zapanta, DM) threw his Aussie off and came back in on the wrong beat. :blink: 

The horn line with the echo and now Zap on the wrong beat, the train wreck began.

Knowing the drum line was right behind us you would think the guard still had a chance...... ha ha ha.

I could Not  hear a thing! Drum line? What drum line? The roar of the crowd was so loud we just held tight and I know I felt the line move to the two different beats.

Now there was a good chance of the line falling. I watch the DVD and there is terror in some of those faces. That line was not moving as one.

It came to an end... the line did not fall.  :rolleyes:  This, my age out year. What a way to go out!

I've had the wonderful chance to do the Bottle Dance again with the Alumni corps.

One of the nights was Thursday night, I think, DCI Madison 2002. About 10-12 of the Alumni Guard was asked to do 'The Dance' behind one of 3 huge screens in a 'Though the Years' Show. It was a 'shadow dance' of the Bottle Dance. We were to start on our knees, the music que was right on the first leg hit. Well when the spot light hit us from behind the crowd heard the taped music, saw the shadow of the line with SCV Aussies....... We, the gals, had to count out loud because the music could not be heard !!!! b**bs

At least this time we COULD count out loud on the field (lol)

That was another great memory..... Many were surprised that it was actually us (alumni) that night, many SCV Alumni didn't know we were to perform the night.

Bottle Dance in the traditional uniforms was the highlight of my night at Tour of Champions at Flint Center. Between Clowns and that, my wife (who was never in drum corps, but who graciously attended with me) must have thought I was insane. Thank goodness she is so understanding.

Bottle Dance in the traditional uniforms was the highlight of my night at Tour of Champions at Flint Center

Yeap! That was something else. From my view point, I could see SCV Alumns rocketing up out of their seats as soon as the music started.....

I guess now they know what it's like to have the audiences perspective of the Bottle Dance.....I guess either side of the front side line....it's still exciting!

MADISON SCOUTS

One of the most advanced guards of the night (along with the Blue Devils). Guards in '82 aren't much fun to watch anymore (sorry!!!) but a couple of them were trying to do something different and Madison is definately one of them. If you watch closely, the flag line does carving and 45 angle work. The rifle line is a hoot and what the #### are the middle rifles tossing on the pyramid toss - a 7???? Too cool.

You know, I kinda still like that old uniform. All in all - a very cool show.

WELL, Thank you for the compliments. It's nice to still be talking about those days twenty years later, because they still remain the best years of my life, and I've had a good life so far!

I watched the DVD again this week, and I recall a few things from that night:

-I am the snare drummer second in from the 50, or right side as you look at them. By todays standards, our "up and down the fifty" drill looks pretty archaic. At the time, the snare line/tenor line arched spins were considered pretty complex, though. Now days drumlines are running all over the field playing their butt's off!

-It was pretty chilly out, and it seemed hard to play that night. I think also had to do with the fact that was my last show...ever. :(

-We had just taken delivery of a whole new set of Paiste cymbals before DCI. They had incredible response, and cymbal "rides" were very crisp and clear over the Zildjians we used up to that week. I don't know if it was wise to change at the last minute like that, but Paiste came out and went on this like rampage giving cymbals to anyone who would use them. We took advantage of that.

-One of our contra players broke his ankle playing frisbee during that week. You can't see him, but he suited up and stood sidelines on his crutches. But you can sure see the hole we left open for him...like a missing front tooth! But I also remember it broke his heart to not march. I noticed one of 27's rifles in a sling for their show as well... that has got to just suck going all year and then having whatever happen.

-One of our rifles had not had a drop ALL year, and he dropped in finals. Wouldn't you know! I remember he was pretty P.O.'d about that after the show. I can remember them practicing that pyramid rifle toss, and some of the center guys actually getting eight and nine full spins and catching them cleanly. We would watch from the snare line and make bets on who was going to get killed first...

-You mention the flag line, but did you notice that our hornline actually became the flag line during drum solo, and the flags all became rifles.

- One time Sal had the guard all mellowed out in a gymnasium somewhere. They were all leaning back with closed eyes and thinking nice thoughts and about bunnies and baby chicks and stuff like that. He went out and got some cymbals, snuck back in while the guard was totally relaxed with their eyes closed and CRASHED them together! He went from like a full spread, too, so I was surprised he didn't get a major air-pocket between the cym's. Anyway, he wanted the guard to remember that reaction and apply it to some point in the show. After they were done recovering from their heart attacks, they went back to work.

- Bridgemen's drumline just kicks major freekin butte' ... I had to watch it three times.

- SCV's bottle dance, even with the phasing, can still make the hair stand up on my neck. They were just TOO cool. And their "whacky" concert...so unVanguard-like, but so appropriate as well. I had to watch THAT like FOUR times. Goosebumps everytime...

- You could really begin to see what was to come in the future with Garfields show. I hated having them take us that night, but they really did play a great show.

Sorry...loooonnnnggg post here! Like anyones cares what I have to say, really. BUT I was there... and I get a kick out of reading everyone else who was there post's, so there ya go.