How did Santa Clara win in 89?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.  It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order.

Considering that the Vanguard was formed in 1967, it seems that you are as loose with facts as you are with opinion.

I can just picture the scene: DCI judges in a smoke-filled back room - "Ya know, dis year is da Vanguard's 32nd anniversary. Da Boss would like ta give'em a little "gift" if youse get my drift."

Sheesh. In any given year, people will see their favorite corps not win or a corps win that they think shouldn't have won. Deal with it. They won because they got the higher score that night. Period.

This is a thread about opinion. I see no harm in expressing mine. So take your attitude and bury it. 25 other people expressed theirs without your attack. I don't deserve it either.

I have personally experienced dci politics in action during my tenure. A threat from the top to wear full uniform in 103 degree weather in a local parade. The staff decided otherwise. And we scored in the low 50s until after championships. The day after, we beat the troopers at their own show.

Don't tell me it doesn't happen. And yes, they won because they scored higher. Duh! That's how the politics play out!

This is a thread about opinion.  I see no harm in expressing mine.  So take your attitude and bury it.  25 other people expressed theirs without your attack.  I don't deserve it either. 

I have personally experienced dci politics in action during my tenure.  A threat from the top to wear full uniform in 103 degree weather in a local parade.  The staff decided otherwise.  And we scored in the low 50s until after championships.  The day after, we beat the troopers at their own show.

Don't tell me it doesn't happen.  And yes, they won because they scored higher.  Duh!  That's how the politics play out!

Largely because the facts to support your premise were completely wrong. Had you just said, "I think it was politics," I would have merely ignored you. Having said "It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order," you are manufacturing support for your claim and spreading rumor. '89 would have been the 32nd anniversary of the Vanguard, and do you really think that DCI felt compelled to honor their 32nd anniversary? Yes, this is a thread about opinion. "I think the Vanguard didn't deserve to win in 1989" is an opinon. "It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order," is factually incorrect and contains conjecture on your part - entirely different than opinion.

It is absolute folly to believe that you can watch a video and definitively determine one corps should beat another 15 years after the fact.

Two great performances -> the fans win! To this day I believe that Phantom horn line to be one of the greatest. SCV had an unbelievable package and evoked an emotional level like very few corps before or after them. Both were deserving in a race that could have gone either way.

Largely because the facts to support your premise were completely wrong.  Had you just said, "I think it was politics," I would have merely ignored you.  Having said "It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order," you are manufacturing support for your claim and spreading rumor.  '89 would have been the 32nd anniversary of the Vanguard, and do you really think that DCI felt compelled to honor their 32nd anniversary?  Yes, this is a thread about opinion.  "I think the Vanguard didn't deserve to win in 1989" is an opinon.  "It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order," is factually incorrect and contains conjecture on your part - entirely different than opinion.

I'll admit my memory is a little hazy. But I still believe it were politics, not performance.

I disagree.  It was there 25th (30th?) anniversary, and DCI thought some recognition was in order.

You could make the same argument for Garfield in 1984 (their 50th anniversary)...but I won't...and please note WHERE I marched that year...

I have been told on numerous occasions since coming to this bvoard that in any other year, I would've won.

I was told years ago by a MEMBER of the 84 Cadets that they thought they lost the show...that prelims was far better than finals for them.

I was told recently by a MEMBER of the 84 Cadets that it COULD have been a gift...

I've been bithing and moaning (in total jest) about Dave Fowler (84Cadet on DCP, Sam's Ring on the BD board) having my ring...he came out to LA to see relatives this past Xmas and we met for the first time since that train ride in '86...and he brought the ring with him (my precious, my precious)...but you know what? I never EVER said we got robbed or that it was politics...I loist my one chance for the ring to one of the greatest shows of all time...I got beat by the best.

Of the 84 BD people I've talked to here and onthe Bd board (bd5times, bangerb, dugada, etc) NONE of them has ever said Garfield won because of 50th year politics...and I truly enjoy the Garfield show.

If I can get over it...why can't you???