How did Santa Clara win in 89?

After seeing Phantom Of The Opera in the theatres the other day, it prompted me to watch SCV 89 again, and after watching this, and then seeing Phantom's show from that year, I don't understand how SCV won. SCV 89 is probably one of my favorite shows (gotta love the company front of Music Of The Night), and I love Santa Clara, I hope to at least try out for the corps, but it seems clear that Phantom should've won, and I know many others agree. Santa Clara alot of problems just musically (I can't help but notice all of the fracked notes which actually ruined musical moments).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw both of these shows for the first time recently, and I see no way possible SCV won. I believe Regiment won that night hands down.

I don't get it either.

.4 doesn't really mean much... those kind of numbers means the judges were pretty much split. And remember, those fracked notes only influence the scores of 2 or 3 out of all the judges.

(personally I like phantom better as well, but I'm not about to say scv stole it)

Two things to note on that.

First, 89 was a year when DCI experimented with a random draw performance order (I think it was flighted with 2 groups) for finals which resulted in some strange scores and placements.

Second, many people felt that SCV actually should have won in 88 and that 89 was their payback.

Two things to note on that.

First, 89 was a year when DCI experimented with a random draw performance order (I think it was flighted with 2 groups) for finals which resulted in some strange scores and placements.

I thought the year of the "experimental random draw" was 1988?!?!

Did they also do it in '89??? :whistle:

I believe the random draw only occured in 1988.