1970s Top 3

Wouldn’t it be great if the original footage could be re-edited and the whole show be restored! Remember this was originally shot on film which is visually so much richer than videotape. 73 SCV 1st year of the Bottle Dance, 1st time for YPG and SCV’s 1st DCI title. Truly a historic year! Does anyone know if the original video is still available?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes!  That is the only video of SCV '73 that is in exsistance (that I know of). That was the last year that we started from the end zone.  '74 was the first year from the sideline. And despite the fact that DCI says we did "Dance" for the first time in '74.  It was actually '73! Proof positive  is in that piece meal video. Gee, I hate  thinking of all that precious tape of the "whole" show that ended up on the cutting room floor  :( .

As treasured as this video is (and isn't it featured on the "Brass Roots" video? I'm thinking it is), it still bugs me that the music is out-of-synch with the visual. Or, at least, that's how it's always struck me. To my eyes and ears, what's happening visually just doesn't match up with the music. Am I right about that?

Anyway, that's the first time I ever saw "The Bottle Dance" . . . and even now, watching it still gives me goosebumps! :beer:

As treasured as this video is (and isn't it featured on the "Brass Roots" video? I'm thinking it is), it still bugs me that the music is out-of-synch with the visual. Or, at least, that's how it's always struck me. To my eyes and ears, what's happening visually just doesn't match up with the music. Am I right about that?

Anyway, that's the first time I ever saw "The Bottle Dance" . . . and even now, watching it still gives me goosebumps! :beer:

Yes Sue, it's all cut up and dubbed over in spots. Some parts of the drill are shown with the WRONG MUSIC! They even put in a rehearsal "scene", using a girl not in our Corps, chomping on a piece of gum and who had lousy flag technique. She was doing a fast pivot turn to the ending crescendo of our OTL and someones voice who was NOT Pete Emmons says "no, no, do it again". It's very hard to watch.

But the saddest thing is, it's not only SCVs '73 show that was ruined. They only show snippits of Troopers, Kilties, Blue Stars, Kingsmen, Madison and I think even Oakland! How sad not to see the whole of those great shows!

Those camera guys followed us around most of the Summer and I'm sure got HOURS of film of all the Corps that we competed with. As I said, I believe most of it probably ended up on the cutting room floor. It's hard to think that who ever did this documentary would not at least keep the full shows that was taken from the stands, which I KNOW they must have taken!

I can only hope that somewhere, someday, someone will come across a box and realizing what they have will give it to DCI to redo and give back to everyone that worked so hard to make '73 a great season. I hope they aren't keeping it out of spite for DCI. I only hope...

Yes Sue, it's all cut up and dubbed over in spots.  Some parts of the drill are shown with the WRONG MUSIC!  They even put in a rehearsal "scene", using a girl not in our Corps, chomping on a piece of gum and who had lousy flag technique. She was doing a fast pivot turn to the ending crescendo of our OTL and someones voice who was NOT Pete Emmons says "no, no, do it again". It's very hard to watch.

Oh, man, I'll bet! Definitely cringe-worthy. Just inept editing. Too bad that's all there is, eh?

But the saddest thing is, it's not only SCVs '73 show that was ruined.  They only show snippits of Troopers, Kilties, Blue Stars, Kingsmen, Madison  and I think even Oakland! How sad not to see the whole of those great shows!

Agh, that would've been Del (De La Salle, before the merger that produced Oakland Crusaders). I'd give anything to see footage of them. Even then, stuff was chopped up to tell whatever story the producers wanted to tell. Too bad. . . .

Those camera guys followed us around most of the Summer and I'm sure got HOURS of film of all the Corps that we competed with. As I said, I believe most of it probably ended up on the cutting room floor.  It's hard to think that who ever did this documentary would not at least keep the full shows that was taken from the stands, which I KNOW they must have taken!

I can only hope that somewhere, someday, someone will come across a box and realizing what they have will give it to DCI to redo and give back to everyone that worked so hard to make '73 a great season.  I hope they aren't keeping it out of spite for DCI.  I only hope...

So true. What a treasure trove that footage would be, if it still exists!

Edited by byline

Wouldn’t it be great if the original footage could be re-edited and the whole show be restored! Remember this was originally shot on film which is visually so much richer than videotape. 73 SCV 1st year of the Bottle Dance, 1st time for YPG and SCV’s 1st DCI title. Truly a historic year! Does anyone know if the original video is still available?

It's a long shot, but check with your local schools. I know that's where our band director got it from years ago.

I'll ask around too. Who knows, maybe the music department in my area may still have it.

It's a long shot, but check with your local schools. I know that's where our band director got it from years ago.

I'll ask around too. Who knows, maybe the music department in my area may still have it.

I have that video Malibu. I think Paul probably has it too. I think he means the "original footage" that was shot that Summer. Sadly, as I said before, it most likely ended up on the cutting room floor, swept out the door and into the dustbin of history. :(

I have that video Malibu.  I think Paul probably has it too.  I think he means the "original footage" that was shot that Summer.  Sadly, as I said before, it most likely ended up on the cutting room floor, swept out the door and into the dustbin of history.  :(

Sorry to say I don't have that video. In fact I think I've only seen it once or twice! :( :( :( :(

Sorry to say I don't have that video. In fact I think I've only seen it once or twice!  :(  :(  :(  :(

Do you have the "Brass Roots" video? You can find segments of it there, including at the end, where they feature clips of all the DCI champions, even '72 Anaheim (in grainy black and white). Seems to me this is the footage they used for Santa Clara in '73.

How's this for an idea??? Since McCormick's originally put that movie out--how about someone contacting McCormick's directly to see if they know what happened to the footage???

McCormicks

How's this for an idea???  Since McCormick's originally put that movie out--how about someone contacting McCormick's directly to see if they know what happened to the footage???

McCormicks

Done. I'll let you know what I find out.

Edited by byline