DCP-I Rules Congress

Bill, would this apply for corps from different seasons? IE, could I use Cavaliers' score from one season as one caption and their score from a different season from another caption?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that would apply in the off season when we have multiple years to choose from, But in the "Live" season, you could only use a corps once.

Is there a way at attach addendums to proposals? Although I would like for the One corps per division per director to pass, but if it doesn't, multiple corps shouldn't be able to use common captions between their corps. if you want more than one corps, mix it up.

Edited by Ex VK DM

Title of Proposed Change: No Division II/III Corps Allowed to Compete in Division I Prelims,  Quarter-finals, Semi-finals, or Finals.

Description: For the winter season and summer seasons, the Division II/III corps should not be allowed to compete in Division I Championship week competition. This includes; Prelims, Quarter-finals, Semi-Finals, and Finals. Division II/III corps have their own Championship. If Division II/III corps want compete with Division I corps, they should petition at the end of the season to compete as a Regional Division I corps.

Purpose/Rationale: This allows for Division I corps to compete with each other during Championships, without Division II/III corps vying for those spots. Division II/III corps have their own Championship, and it isn't fair for them to compete and possibly take a potential performance away from a Division I corps, who hasnt had that chance to perform. These reasons are the same as they are in the real DCI. We no longer allow Division II/III to compete after their own Championship. Each Division has it's own, and that makes it fair for all corps.

Submitted by: Matthew J. Smith (Director)

Corps: Tri-Color, Emerald Regime, and Silver Knights

Division I

DCP Screen Name: ScadesBari

I am against this proposal in the fact that D2 and D3 Corps may see that the division that they're in is too light in competition and how they stack up to the Big boys of DCP-i.

I am against this proposal in the fact that D2 and D3 Corps may see that the division that they're in is too light in competition and how they stack up to the Big boys of DCP-i.

Then they can finish their season in Division II/III and compete at Division I the next year. Just as the real DCI works... You can't just up and move a division or compete in a different division because your competition is not what you expected.

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: 1 Corps Per Div. I Director.

DESCRIPTION:

This rule would limit a director to managing only 1 Div. 1 corps per season; Div. 2/3 managers would be unaffected by this change.

PURPOSE/RATIONALE:

Over the first few seasons, there has been a good bit of disparity between directors who enter multiple corps in a division and directors who only enter a single corps. The theory is, like in auto racing, that one corps serves as a "test corps" or a means for trying out various captions to see which ones will work; those captions are then implemented within another corps to assure that both corps will finish very high in the standings. In essence, a director doing this is ensuring two finalist positions for himself, potentially eliminating another corps and director that would have potentially been a finals contender. This proposal is designed to bring more parity to DCPI by ensuring the rule of "one corps per director per division" Due to the fact that we have 2 seasons per year, one in the summer and one in the winter, directors with multiple corps in the same division would not be forced to deactivate one corps or make them compete in a different division; they could easily split their corps to have one compete in one season and another in the other. This is the model that I would implement, should this rule change pass. Division 2 and 3 corps would be unaffected by this change.

Submitted by: Matt Briddell (Galen)

Representing:

Kosmos (I), Kadence (I), Overdrive (II), Lake Woebegon Crusaders (III)

Title: 1 corps per director per division.

Description: This rule would limit a director to managing only 1 corps in each division per season.

Rationale: Same as above, except that it applies to Div. 2 and Div. 3 directors as well.

Submitted by: Matt Briddell (Galen)

Representing:

Kosmos (I), Kadence (I), Overdrive (II), Lake Woebegon Crusaders (III)

I am very much against these. This really does limit the fun avaliable. Why punish those that put more time into this? We should stimulate participation, not limit it, after all what we want is more involvement, right?

I agree to an extent with the proposal. I think that if you have more than 1 corps in a division, then you should not be able to use the same caption for the 2 corps. For instance if you use CAV04 for GE Music with corps A, you cant use CAV04 for GE music with corps B, and so on and so on....

Limiting each director to 1 corps per division would be fine if we have 50 or so directors. But this season if that rule was intact there would have been about 20 Div 1 corps. There has to be some kind of give and take here, IMHO.

I guess the give and take would be how many corps sign up for this coming season.

Ok say the proposal passes and each director is limited to 1 corps per division. Then we get to the season and we only have 20 directors, have a cut off date and min. number of corps. If by such and such date we do not have "X" amount of corps, then we can open it up to another corps per director if they so choose. But then the different captions rule would kick in.

Thoughts?

That's a good idea, so I'll withdraw my original proposal and submit a revision:

Title: 1 corps per div 1 director (revised)

Description: A corps director may only manage one division one corps per season. If there are not a certain number of corps submitted to the executive director by the entry deadline, then corps directors may choose to submit and manage additional Div. 1 corps for that season, provided he/she does not exceed the maximum number of corps he/she is eligible to manage. Both the minimum number of corps needed and the corps submission date shall be determined during the offseason by the executive director. Division 2/3 managers would not be affected by this change.

Rationale: Same as original proposal

Submitted by Matt Briddell (Galen)

Director, Kosmos/Kadence DBC

That's a good idea, so I'll withdraw my original proposal and submit a revision:

Title: 1 corps per div 1 director (revised)

Description: A corps director may only manage one division one corps per season. If there are not a certain number of corps submitted to the executive director by the entry deadline, then corps directors may choose to submit and manage additional Div. 1 corps for that season, provided he/she does not exceed the maximum number of corps he/she is eligible to manage. Both the minimum number of corps needed and the corps submission date shall be determined during the offseason by the executive director. Division 2/3 managers would not be affected by this change.

Rationale: Same as original proposal

Submitted by Matt Briddell (Galen)

Director, Kosmos/Kadence DBC

My statement still stands - Why should you discourage activity. It seems like it should be stimulated and corps directors should be encouraged to submit multiple corps.

This "activity" is meant to be something that if you put more time into it, you should be rewarded. If you're going to take the time to run 3 corps per division (up to 9 corps) - this is what one of my rule proposals was - and you manage to get 3 finalists, this should be a reward. It takes so much more effort, tracking, and organization to run mulitple corps, whereas, if I had focused all my attention on one of my corps, I might have been able to spend more time calculating things.

I can see how putting a limit on the corps selected (one corpsyear per caption throughout your corps in that division) like Jeff selected, seems to be a much better solution to this problem.

Of course the number of allowed caption changes would also need to be upped, since directors with multiple corps might have to make multiple changes at once.

Also - say we have 50 directors for the live season, and each submits 1 corps. If this rule didn't pass and HALF of those directors submitted two corps, we would end up with 75 division 1 corps. How much more fun would that be? It would stimulate so much more competition throughout the divisions.