some old corps photos

Darn! I'm not in the PR shot. :worthy:

Jan sez: "I am...for once!"

Garry

Oh man, that sure brings back memories...

I taught the VK Brass section in 1982. We were at a camp in May, at Oceanside HS. The drums were late to runthroughs, and when they showed up, they were wearing uniforms. But these were no uniform any of us had ever seen. It seems that the head percussion instructor had gotten uniforms made without telling the rest of the staff.

And we hated them.

Hey, Chris. Was that Rob or Paul that did that?

Garry

Anybody else remember LaCrosse's entrance to the field in 1981? Increasing the foot speed and finishing with some sort of Hand Jive. Maybe Cliff can clue us in?

Slide51.jpg

We had some new caption heads in 81, some marching band guys from back east. The visual designer was impressed by a superbowl halftime, or was it pregame, where they gave the audience mirrors. The stands looked like hundreds of twinkling stars. They still show clips of it on old superbowl reruns (might have been the one in LA with the 9ers against the Bengals? not sure).

So the plan was to hype up to the front sideline and then flash little mirrors so the corps would twinkle, and of course the crowd would go wild because we were the Blue STARS, right? Not quite.

Moe Latour, the corps director knew my dad was in the glass business, so I was elected to help cut a 4" square mirror for everyone in the horn line and guard. After a few hours of me and Moe cutting up our hands nearly as much as the glass, everyone had a mirror to wave.

We rehearsed that entrance to death, almost as if it was judged. Took it out on the field expecting a great effect under the lights. Nothing. It just looked like the corps was waving and there didn't seem to be any twinkle effect at all. Apparently 70+ mirrors didn't have the same effect as 70,000 mirrors at the super bowl. Go figure.

That was an interesting year though. The corps was smaller and younger and the design staff was untested in DCI. We tried to do a few things differently and some worked and some didn't.

PS... Wish I had a recording from 81 that wasn't from prelims. It was 5000 degrees on the field and the keyboards sounded pretty dead from the heat. We had some nice parts and a softer style that was a little different for it's time. Got some good reviews too!

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

We had some new caption heads in 81, some marching band guys from back east. The visual designer was impressed by a superbowl halftime, or was it pregame, where they gave the audience mirrors. The stands looked like hundreds of twinkling stars. They still show clips of it on old superbowl reruns (might have been the one in LA with the 9ers against the Bengals? not sure).

So the plan was to hype up to the front sideline and then flash little mirrors so the corps would twinkle, and of course the crowd would go wild because we were the Blue STARS, right? Not quite.

Moe Latour, the corps director knew my dad was in the glass business, so I was elected to help cut a 4" square mirror for everyone in the horn line and guard. After a few hours of me and Moe cutting up our hands nearly as much as the glass, everyone had a mirror to wave.

We rehearsed that entrance to death, almost as if it was judged. Took it out on the field expecting a great effect under the lights. Nothing. It just looked like the corps was waving and there didn't seem to be any twinkle effect at all. Apparently 70+ mirrors didn't have the same effect as 70,000 mirrors at the super bowl. Go figure.

That was an interesting year though. The corps was smaller and younger and the design staff was untested in DCI. We tried to do a few things differently and some worked and some didn't.

PS... Wish I had a recording from 81 that wasn't from prelims. It was 5000 degrees on the field and the keyboards sounded pretty dead from the heat. We had some nice parts and a softer style that was a little different for it's time. Got some good reviews too!

Was that Brady Rouse and Bruce McCready you're talking about? They worked with The Renegades (NY) in 1982 with me.

Defenders, 1982:

Slide54.jpg

Cavaliers, 1983:

Slide53.jpg

Bayonne, 1981, drum solo.

Slide52.jpg

Crossmen, 1983:

Slide135.jpg

Hey, Chris. Was that Rob or Paul that did that?

Garry

I don't want to name any names, but rumor has it that this same person broke a head during his solo at DCI snare individuals so that he would get a chance to do his solo again.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Edited by randomnoise

I think I've put this one in before... but what the heck.

Kilts 1977... very early in the season... maybe second show. Chicago area.

Notice how people used to sit in the back of the stadium, too? Don't see that much anymore.

kilts1977-1.jpg

Edited by GGarrett