some old corps photos

Nobody had a complete show by then. :cool:

I remember in 75 we didn't have a complete show until after DVC....had only learned Birds 'o Fire a few days before... :cool:

Naw, your way ahead of the ime line...if it was '77 it may have been Wilcox High School in SC.

Coulda been, but it looked too desolate even for the Santa Clara. Honestly, I don't think it was evals anyway - the bow was added later in the season, from my recollection. Too much exposure in the files at the stop, so the alternating bows reduced it a bit. :cool:

I remember in 75 we didn't have a complete show until after DVC....had only learned Birds 'o Fire a few days before... :cool:

What I remember about '75 is the horn line getting the music to concert on a Wednesday night, 3 days before our first show. Tansea, you can correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the drumline got their music to concert on Saturday morning, the DAY of our first show. We performed our first show up thru concert only, no closer yet. This was 6/22/75 in San Bruno, a date that will live in infamy due to the fact that it marks the first time that the Blue Devils ever beat the Vanguard, not to mention BD also breaking SCV's gaudy 55 show winning streak in drums.

Edited by Russellrks

What I remember about '75 is the horn line getting the music to concert on a Wednesday night, 3 days before our first show. Tansea, you can correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the drumline got their music to concert on Saturday morning, the DAY of our first show. We performed our first show up thru concert only, no closer yet. This was 6/22/75 in San Bruno, a date that will live in infamy due to the fact that it marks the first time that the Blue Devils ever beat the Vanguard, not to mention BD also breaking SCV's gaudy 55 show winning streak in drums.

Nope, what you say rings major bells in my head....I remember first drum solo being problematic because it was played in 9/8 but marched in 4/4, something the average guard member or horn player couldn't do without some practice...and concert, what a frigg'n nightmare that was.... :cool:

Edited by Tansea

Nope, what you say rings major bells in my head....I remember first drum solo being problematic because it was played in 9/8 but marched in 4/4, something the average guard member or horn player couldn't do without some practice...and concert, what a frigg'n nightmare that was.... :cool:

It was no picnic for the average drummer either. :cool:

I remember you guys played that solo at half tempo for so long, us horn players didn't even know it was supposed to be played twice as fast, or was it just the tymps that had to learn it at half speed?

If anyone has any old Anaheim Kingsmen pics I will be indebted to you for life! Particularly 69 through 78!

If anyone has any old Anaheim Kingsmen pics I will be indebted to you for life! Particularly 69 through 78!

Dave,

Start at page one and work your way forward...seriously, there is some great stuff in here..

It was no picnic for the average drummer either. :worthy:

I remember you guys played that solo at half tempo for so long, us horn players didn't even know it was supposed to be played twice as fast, or was it just the tymps that had to learn it at half speed?

We went through so many manifestations of that thing...the craziest was having the entire tenor line slamming cymbals to re-create the gong in the beginning of the original...bwooooz....bwooooz..good times, good times!!!! :worthy:

That's such a wacky solo...what is it based on?

Dave, Start at page one and work your way forward...seriously, there is some great stuff in here..

Top left of web page, there is a box with Pages; select drop down arrow and type one of the following pages, 28, 142, 238, 254, 908 for snares mostly. I keep in touch with some people in other corps and they happen to be snare drummers. :worthy:

Edited by lindap