some old corps photos

The evaluation show in California is held prior to the first show of the year. It is a judged exhibition which allows corps to get some imput from the judges without having any scores.

I remember that one....the ONLY time I;ve ever been scared on the field!

heard the announcer do his thing....and it was only THEN -- in spite of the fact that I'd been in uniform for an hour or so -- that I realized "####! I AM in the Blue Devils!!!"

Almost missed the step-off!!

do they even hold that show any more????

I remember that one....the ONLY time I;ve ever been scared on the field!

heard the announcer do his thing....and it was only THEN -- in spite of the fact that I'd been in uniform for an hour or so -- that I realized "####! I AM in the Blue Devils!!!"

Almost missed the step-off!!

do they even hold that show any more????

I probably should have said "used to be held." My experience with evaluation shows dates back to the mid '70's

I have no idea if they still have it or not. And to the poster that thought it looked like Atwater, that is where I remember the Evaluation show being held.

I probably should have said "used to be held." My experience with evaluation shows dates back to the mid '70's

I have no idea if they still have it or not. And to the poster that thought it looked like Atwater, that is where I remember the Evaluation show being held.

Roger (hubby) said that's just a part where they're bending over in the show.

Atwater was the location of the Memorial Day camp. The last night of camp, various corps in the area would get together and do a show in uniform. This was more for the staff to pick apart the corps (particular our staff) and a chance for the kids to see other corps.

The evaluation show was typically the first weekend in June at San Jose City College. I don't recall when the last one was, but we did the evaluation show up to at least 85.

The 1st real show was the second weekend of June.

I have two vivid memories of the Evaluation show. The 1st being the Freelancers in 1981 shocking everybody. They were big, loud, and on fire with a jazzy book. We were behind the stands waiting to go on after the Freelancers and got the full force of their hornline.

The 2nd vivid memory is walking from our warm-up spot in 85 to the stadium. We went past Santa Clara's alto line when they were warming up. The altos were playing parts of their opener and they sounded incredible. That mellophone line was something else.

Roger (hubby) said that's just a part where they're bending over in the show.

Yes, that would be at the end of the first movement of Channel One Suite.

I remember at the 1978 evaluation show, BD kinda jumped the gun.

Here is the scene:

Corps is lined up - ready to begin the show

Crowd is amped - 2-time DCI champ

"Are the judges ready?"

Corps breaks into "Chicago III suite".

"They'd better be - 'cause the corps going."

(No DM salute, no waiting to see if the judges were indeed ready, they just went for it.)

Sure! I may even be able to dig up some more as I go through my files.

Thanks, Jim!