some old corps photos

Sue,

I'll check to see what I've got in photos. I may have some of you. Give me some time as recent hip surgery has prevented me from getting to my "stuff". Can't do stairs.

Mike

Ouch! Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

Maybe it was the Indianapolis show (Santa Clara was there)? Here's our tour schedule for 1978:

oakland78tourschedule.jpg

In 1978 Ames Field was a minor league baseball stadium. The backside bleachers were only about 10 rows high and were brought in only for the show. There was no fence inside Ames Field. There was a 12 ft. wall around the stadium and the large Jewel sign was visible above the backside stands and wall. Also, there were only a couple of trees outside the stadium. The Stadium Inn is also missing from these photos as well as the large powerline towers which cross the property.

OK, so it sounds like Dale's photos come from two different shows. I'm thinking that this photo (and probably the first nine or so in Dale's group) are from Michigan City, while the remainder are from some other show, possibly Indianapolis:

crusaders7.jpg

Edited by byline

Need some more help. Can't think of who whore white cadet jackets and grey pants?

whoisthis.jpg

That is indeed Valley Fever....83???? Where's Skajerk and Skuyluk???

Close, Sam. You were only off by about four hundred miles.

This is the 1978 Velvet Knights. We wore cream colored cadets (although we transitioned midyear into "Knights in White Satin") and black pants. The baritone player on the far left is Gary Smith, whose mother, Ginger, was "Mom" to hundreds of VK kids over several decades. You can compare the uniforms using this shot of Gary, posted elsewhere on this board. (Those are my hands flapping in the breeze along the right margin of the photo.)

VK-OCFair170a.jpg

Edited by wsssb

Close, Sam. You were only off by about four hundred miles.

At least I was in the correct state!

I think when i posted that response, I hadn't seen color pic of VK in the cadet tunic days, although I knew they wore them.

Not that I look at the pic again...did valley Fever ever wear the cross belt??

MichCity.jpg

Notice all the penalties given out in those days.

MichCity.jpg

Look at the horn score Sandra Opie gave us! Some of those drum execution spreads sure are pretty wide from one judge to the other.

Thanks for posting this recap!

Edited by byline

Notice all the penalties given out in those days.

This was in the day when dropped equipment cost you .1 of a point!

It's a pretty nice judging panel, looking at the names.

Yeah, some "big hitters"... Always loved tapes from "Bernard Baggs, B-A-G-G-S". Classic.