some old corps photos

Not sure of the size on that one. I'll ask someone who may know and post the answer when I get it.

I know BD caried a 34" BITD. You know, the one with the window in it? And Anaheim Kingsmen used to have a 36" they called "Baby".

Didn't this question come up last year? I think someone said it was a 42"....don't know how accurate that is, tho.

The window ones from BD were 1988, as I recall.

Ah, the old Thunder bass!

ringo.jpg

36" of BOOM

Puppet

Puppet - you never cease to amaze me. You have photos for every occasion, and a knowledge about so many . . .

In contrast, I never even thought of having a camera, getting pictures, saving anything. And the few things I did keep (some pins, t shirts and my corps jacket, mysteriously disappeared when I went into the navy. I guess my folks figured I was done with them.

Puppet - you never cease to amaze me. You have photos for every occasion, and a knowledge about so many . . .

In contrast, I never even thought of having a camera, getting pictures, saving anything. And the few things I did keep (some pins, t shirts and my corps jacket, mysteriously disappeared when I went into the navy. I guess my folks figured I was done with them.

Thank you, Joseph, but I have to give credit to Drum Corps News. I scanned that one.

Here's the caption that went with it:

caption.jpg

As to stuff mysteriously vanishing: Don't ever wind up with an ex-wife without having a safe deposit box with all the stuff you really want to save ( I had tons more that are all gone! Of course there are some things you can't save - I was 6' 8" and around 240 before my divorce. Now I'm about 5' 11" and 170! Amazingly, the same size I was before I got married!

DHYLOL!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Red at Sprit of Atlanta Carried a 42x18 concert bass in 81. Had a "trap door" on the side inside was a cup holder and normally some "adult" pictures pasted where he could see.

Slide46.jpg

What's up, Red. Big-azz battery you've got there.

Two of my all time favorite uniforms in the same photo. Awesome.

Thanks. Shakos and Aussies together. 1963 was before my drum corps time :-)

on or off topic...big bass drums with trap doors, luv it...can't do that with vistalites :-)

DrumCorps0003.jpg

Phantom Regiment at DCI Canada, Hamilton ON again...1980?

That HAS to be the largest bass drum ever carried on the field!

Here is the official answer from the man himself, Marty Hurley (I emailed him).

That is a good question. The size changed through the years.

From 1976 - 1979 it was a 40 inch. After that it was a 32 inch. The more drill the smaller it became.

Hope that answers your question,

Marty Hurley

Slide46.jpg

What's up, Red. Big-azz battery you've got there.

No *&^%$#! You could play a scale on the bass drums. Today, half those guys would be in the pit. I think we forget how much of a visual treat those huge lines were, as well as the lack of pit clutter in the foreground.

No *&^%$#! You could play a scale on the bass drums. Today, half those guys would be in the pit. I think we forget how much of a visual treat those huge lines were, as well as the lack of pit clutter in the foreground.

Heck! BITD, all 35 (well, 37 if you count the 2 extra tymp players needed to carry them - of course we used 4!) of those guys would be on the field with the rest of the drummers.

Puppet

I like pit clutter. And you couldn't march a drill today with a battery that size.