some old corps photos

We did something similar in the Blue Stars in the late 70's early 80's called "chop suey." The entire horn line would get at about an eight step interval surrounding the practice field and the cowbell would start at about 60 beats per minute. We would start at the lowest note possible starting at pp and crescendo to ff in eight beats, mark time eight beats and do it again a half step higher. This went on until no one could play any higher (if you couldn't hang, you just marked time until everyone was done). At any time someone didn't keep the mark time high enough or let the horn dip the whole thing started over. I can tell you it was not too pleasant for "that guy," especially if we were near the end! To make it even harder, this was always done at the end of the rehearsal day.

We did the "Blue Star" drill in 84 one time as a punishment. I've long since forgotten what we did to earn it, but not the drill itself!

In Blue Devils, mid-70's, we occasionally had 20-minute mark times. If someone was not keeping up or using poor technique, the staff would stop us and we'd start all over again. I remember one very vividly (held somewhere in Colorado) where we were about 95% in and Mel Stratton called a halt for some slacker. I didn't know who I was madder at, Mel or the horn player not keeping up!

I remember once, in the pit, having to change the height of the stool on which I sat to play. Boy, was that an ordeal.

I remember once, in the pit, having to change the height of the stool on which I sat to play. Boy, was that an ordeal.

I bet it was a lot more comfortable when you remembered to put the seat on the post, too.

:thumbdown:

Garry in Vegas

The Anaheim Kingsmen "Five Minute Drill" was in place when I joined in the winter of 1966. Same rules: wandering eyes, poor posture, incorrect height in the leg lift? Stop and start again from zero. I can remember that drill going 45 minutes. Usually because after awhile we were so good at it that it became increasingly hard to find individual errors.

I also remember water breaks that 66-67 season at one of the local high school fields where we baritones would fill our cups almost to the brim from the water fountain, form a company front, initiate elbow contact and "float" back to starting positions, start a full knee-lift mark time and then coming to a halt without spilling a drop before taking a drink.

No wonder Army Basic Training was such a breeze for me.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Oh, yeah - THAT says bugle corps to me....

Here's one of the 1980 Defenders

1980contraslg.jpg

The Anaheim Kingsmen "Five Minute Drill" was in place when I joined in the winter of 1966. Same rules: wandering eyes, poor posture, incorrect height in the leg lift? Stop and start again from zero. I can remember that drill going 45 minutes. Usually because after awhile we were so good at it that it became increasingly hard to find individual errors.

I also remember water breaks that 66-67 season at one of the local high school fields where we baritones would fill our cups almost to the brim from the fwater fountain, form a company front, initiate elbow contact and "float" back to starting positions and coming to a halt without spilling a drop before taking a drink.

No wonder Army Basic Training was such a breeze for me.

RON HOUSLEY

That's a great way to perfect the movement, and a nice short story. It reminds me of the 1965 Troopers at Kennedy Stadium W.O. and that 50 yard company front in the opener. They didn't march, they would glide and stride.

There's a little known fact that if you walk with a cup of coffee and DON'T look at it while walking, you're less likely to spill it.

Try it, and then try watching it. Heh.

I bet it was a lot more comfortable when you remembered to put the seat on the post, too.

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

that's where the real height adjustment came into play! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Puppet

Edited by Puppet