some old corps photos

Anaheim Kingsmen 1972

2corpsphotos9081.jpg

I have a dumb question: Why are some of the rifles facing different directions in this carry position? Are they getting ready to throw/spin in alternate directions?

John has a better take on the "thought process" (and I use that phrase very lightly) that went into this. Basically the notion was that if Crossmen could do long cape thingamajigs, then so could we. This was when I learned the lesson that "thinking outside the box" ain't always a good thing. And completely dumping your traditional look isn't such a great idea, either.

Aaaaah....got to love our capes!

80xmen.jpg

Edited by Malibu

Far left of the quartet, yes?

Janet is a sweetie as well as a real "trooper" who came in from out-of-town and worked very hard in KAC to make it a success...

Yes, far left of the quartet. Blue shirt with brown cords.

BTW, it was both me and Housley that encouraged Janet to do the KAC thing; so glad she could do it.

Nancy

Here are Freelancers from 1985:

1985freelancersguard.jpg

1985freelancers.jpg

(Sorry about the bad scan; my scanner doesn't seem to have an option for smoothing out the dots.)

I was sure I had a photo somewhere of the guard in a closeup shot (I thought in mid-toss of that odd contraption they spun/tossed/carried around), but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The interesting thing is that the guard and corps were quite good (as always), but the uniforms just didn't really suit them, IMO . . . to the point of distracting rather than enhancing the show. (Boy, do I know that feeling!)

However, from a distance, the uniforms don't look too bad. (By the way, the corps wore spats that year. Seems to me there was a spats-related thread somewhere.) The site which shall not be named has high-cam footage, and the corps actually looks and sounds good. (I have the "Legacy" DVD, but it's the mixed edit from the telecast.)

Speaking of Freelancers, there are some nice photos of them here: Freelancers thread on Les Chatelaines' website

Edited by byline

In the 71 Diplomats picture, the horn players are as follows and left to right:

Wayne Bergeron (14 yrs. old, with the glasses), Tommy Humble, Jimmy Crosby and "Silverstein". To the right of him is Russell Rawles, Janet (Southstone) Broderick, and (maybe) John Knox in the next row with the long hair.

My "kids," my brassline, and all these years later, still my friends. Tom Humble has, sadly, passed on.

Marching in KAC with Janet was one of those "full-circle" events in life as she insists that it was me that gave her her first bugle and told her to "...play a C..." back in the 1969 Lakewood Ambassadors.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

I have a dumb question: Why are some of the rifles facing different directions in this carry position? Are they getting ready to throw/spin in alternate directions?

Sure looks like that could be it...the ones with the bolt to the left are in a line in front of the ones with the bolt to the right...

In the 71 Diplomats picture, the horn players are as follows and left to right:

Wayne Bergeron (14 yrs. old, with the glasses), Tommy Humble, Jimmy Crosby and "Silverstein". To the right of him is Russell Rawles, Janet (Southstone) Broderick, and (maybe) John Knox in the next row with the long hair.

My "kids," my brassline, and all these years later, still my friends. Tom Humble has, sadly, passed on.

Marching in KAC with Janet was one of those "full-circle" events in life as she insists that it was me that gave her her first bugle and told her to "...play a C..." back in the 1969 Lakewood Ambassadors.

RON HOUSLEY

Don't forget the soprano to the left in the not too background of Wayne is Bill Martinez. Don't know why the kid directly to the left to him doesn't have a horn.

Nancy

Yes.

There's nothing like a serious rifle line! Love the Anaheim crowd they were really clean!

This isn't a great shot but the Bridgemen of Bayone before had great rifles, too.

Bridgemenrifles1972.jpg

I'm sure there are more shots of the really good rifle sections from the "throw them up in the air era." But the thing is IMHO the best lines looked great just moving across the field together.

RifleSection1972.jpg

Our guys looked like this.

Puppet