some old corps photos

OK! three things ... or five or something. I miss Color Pre, too. Tymp players aren't good looking, just photogenic. You don't know just how good the young women from Les Chatelaines de Laval were until you get up close and really personal. You have just exponentially upped the level of the images on this remarkable thread by umpteenth! And after years, and years of watching the Trooper rifle line, this is the first time I have ever seen them not perfectly in sync! (Like yes, they are human after all!)

I don't usually like to speak for others but on behalf of others who look to these particular pages often and those who will in the future, I thank you.

Puppet

That shot out of synch is more in synch than any line this century...

That shot out of synch is more in synch than any line this century...

Mea Culpa, already!n n We've already established that I spoke somewhat out of turn in a weak effort to be a little funny. I have loved the Troopers from the first time I saw them in competition at the Singer Bowl in 1964 during the New York City World's Fair sponsored by the New York Daily News. No disrespect was intended and as a matter of fact I even put off the comparison to the Anaheim Kingsmen rifle line of old whom I adored and whose corps as a whole has arguably proved themselves on these pages alone to be far more photogenic.

Apparently the only thing I did get right with that part of my post (and you can be sure I am not retracting any part of any accolade I meant for the posting of these great shots!) was the correct abbreviation for Synchronize or Synchronization which indeed is "sync" according to my O.E.D.

So, again I apologize for my faux pas. I have been a clarion of these forums (and albeit a minor contributor to this particular thread) I have held it in high esteem from my first reading. Perhaps you have not scanned my posts here and elsewhere very closely and that is to be understood because I am an old guy who marched in the old days but I have unabashedly stated that this is possibly the single best compilation of Drum Corps History in Pictures I have found anywhere on the planet. I cannot say it with any more alacrity or passion. :blink:

K?

Please everyone ... just move on ... there's nothing to see here. Somebody post some pictures, quick and save my arse from Trooper fan scorned!

Puppet

OaklandCrusaders0006.jpg

Long Island Kingsmen at DCI Canada...79 or 80...

Why is the drum major sitting?

Edited by Harvey

Why is the drum major sitting?

Because standing is so overrated. When you can control an entire Drum Corps from a seated position, you've really got it goin on! :blink:

Puppet

I wonder if marching on a Canadian football field makes it a bit more difficult for U.S. corps...our fields are longer and wider...you can see that the back side line is brought in 5 yards...or litres or something lol...which could put you off when you are trying to hit a set with only a quick glance for reference.

Happened in Canadian corps, too . . . because we had U.S. members (myself being one of them). I'll never forget Oakland performing at halftime at an Argonauts game in '78. We were setting up the guard file for the "X" in the closer, "Spanish Dreams," and I saw this snake weaving its way to the centre/55 yardline. My friend, Beth (who, like myself, was from Indiana), was leading the front half of the file, and nobody bothered to tell her about the 55, so of course she marched toward the 50. Then she must've seen our half of the file one yardline over, and so she had to do a radical change of direction to make the set happen .. . . and then the rest of the file followed her. Boy, was she mad!