some old corps photos

I left little league baseball for drum corps and happy I did because I got to start every gig I ever did, I never had to sit on the bench and wait. I also left boy scouts too, compared to DC it was sooooo boring. The change in G to Bb was a manufacturer as well as a DCI thing, or at least major staff members who are also high school or college band directors.

Same here. I left a fairly promising baseball career behind for first hs band, and that eventually drew me into drum corps. I broke my wrist covering second base on a steal. Friends got me back into hs band for summer band camp. Since I wasn't doing American legion, I thought why not? It turns out they needed drummers and I had a talent (after the cast came off) and could naturally just play the easy parts. After I started doing that, I was addicted to drumming, but wanted to get better. Then a drum and baton corps, and finally got to see my first DCI show. Finleyville Royal Crusaders. Garfield Cadets. Watkins Glen Squires. I can still remember the impact that show had on me. Soon I was a member of that corps through two unsuccessful seasons (failed to field-but got close-but really learned to play there) and then moved on to GBV for three years. Kind of funny how our generation has similar stories...

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

PHOTOS, #####ez!

1982a-memphis.jpg

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I'd like to see one major corps go back to this type of guard uniform i.e. a 'feminine' variation on the 'masculine' battery uniform. Most gurds are coed, so it probaly wouldn't work for all, but I'd like to see someone try it again, for a retro kick.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I'd like to see one major corps go back to this type of guard uniform i.e. a 'feminine' variation on the 'masculine' battery uniform. Most gurds are coed, so it probaly wouldn't work for all, but I'd like to see someone try it again, for a retro kick.

I always liked it as well, even worked with male members having the regular uniform . . . Really, it doesn't even have to be a feminized version of the same uniform, but I always liked it looking like a "uniform" period. There were plenty of corps even in the '70s that had something different for the guard that were still clearly uniforms, not dance outfits if you will.

I always liked it as well, even worked with male members having the regular uniform . . . Really, it doesn't even have to be a feminized version of the same uniform, but I always liked it looking like a "uniform" period. There were plenty of corps even in the '70s that had something different for the guard that were still clearly uniforms, not dance outfits if you will.

I don't go there, I don't buy the whole "dance outfit" thing. I'm an actor, so calling it a costume is fine, and I get what the designers are up to, witness Suncoast in 85, Garfield in 91, Phantom in 1996. I'd just like to see a corps try it again.

This could work very well for Pioneer since they have an all female guard.

I don't go there, I don't buy the whole "dance outfit" thing. I'm an actor, so calling it a costume is fine, and I get what the designers are up to, witness Suncoast in 85, Garfield in 91, Phantom in 1996. I'd just like to see a corps try it again.

What he said. I understand costume but I did dig the uniform thing and would like to see it again. If you remember, even the Blue Stars guard wore "uniforms" and were still feminine

BlueStars1982.jpg

(well that's a hot pants reference, you know) I never miss a chance.

And this is about the pictures, right?

Puppet

What he said. I understand costume but I did dig the uniform thing and would like to see it again. If you remember, even the Blue Stars guard wore "uniforms" and were still feminine

BlueStars1982.jpg

(well that's a hot pants reference, you know) I never miss a chance.

And this is about the pictures, right?

Puppet

Music cues, Oooh, yeah . . .

I didn't mean to offend, and I only said dance outfit because for some reason costume did not come into my brain. I like costumes sometimes, but sometimes they don't seem to fit anything other than they are "not uniforms." And, I always like the hard core look of a color guard in uniform.

Now, not having seen Troopers for 29 or 30 years, when I saw them last weekend, I will say I prefer the old uniform, but the "Indian" costume worked well. It fit both with the theme of the corps as a whole, and the theme of the show.

And if I think back to '77, my first year, Bridgemen's guard costume did not bother me one bit because it fit with the theme. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, when I think of Santa Clara's guard or Blue Devils, I have an image in my mind from the '70s, and that what my mind says they are "supposed" to look like. Same kind of thing happens with they style of music being played.

OK, before I dig myself into a hole I'll shut up.