some old corps photos

Music cues, Oooh, yeah . . .

I didn't mean to offend, and I only said dance outfit because for some reason costume did not come into my brain. I like costumes sometimes, but sometimes they don't seem to fit anything other than they are "not uniforms." And, I always like the hard core look of a color guard in uniform.

Now, not having seen Troopers for 29 or 30 years, when I saw them last weekend, I will say I prefer the old uniform, but the "Indian" costume worked well. It fit both with the theme of the corps as a whole, and the theme of the show.

And if I think back to '77, my first year, Bridgemen's guard costume did not bother me one bit because it fit with the theme. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, when I think of Santa Clara's guard or Blue Devils, I have an image in my mind from the '70s, and that what my mind says they are "supposed" to look like. Same kind of thing happens with they style of music being played.

OK, before I dig myself into a hole I'll shut up.

I'm definitely biased here, but my favorite is the Blue Devils gauchos from '79. Uniform, feminine, but still had a bit of a "tough" look to it.

The Beckman's were another Madison family. I believe at one time they had five brothers all in the corps at the same time.

For 1975

Completely agree!!!!

Garfield was also very cool in the 83 & 84 seasons with a traditional Cadet top and flowing skirts.

Garfield was also very cool in the 83 & 84 seasons with a traditional Cadet top and flowing skirts.

84 not so much.....that was their 50th anniversary, and guard was in gold lame tops....teh battery had gold shells.....kinda hit you over the head with it!

82 and 83.

I'm definitely biased here, but my favorite is the Blue Devils gauchos from '79. Uniform, feminine, but still had a bit of a "tough" look to it.

I think Madison's guard in 1982 hit a home run with their uniform (great performers as well!). It was a great blend of looking like the rest of the corps, yet different enough to stand out. I love the little chain they had hanging from their belt. It was details like these that made the uniform work so well.

Ever hear a kid from HNC, Cavies or any other junior corps today ask to hear about the "old days" from you?

YES. Part of initiation process in Cavaliers is the "book"; questions, facts, memorization of key corps historical things and people. And sprinkled throughout the materials is info or connections to FMM as a prereq to learn, track down or meet and interview during their initiate season. I've had many sit-downs and phone calls with CMMs over the years sincerely getting into the "old days" to understand where and how they fit in the fellowship.

YES. Part of initiation process in Cavaliers is the "book"; questions, facts, memorization of key corps historical things and people. And sprinkled throughout the materials is info or connections to FMM as a prereq to learn, track down or meet and interview during their initiate season. I've had many sit-downs and phone calls with CMMs over the years sincerely getting into the "old days" to understand where and how they fit in the fellowship.

Even corps you wouldn't think of emphasize their history to their members. My brother was talking to some Racine Scouts members earlier this season and asked them how it felt to be part of one of the oldest organizatioins in the activity. They acknowledged they knew of this, and that their staff and alums reinforced it.

This series of pictures is from the 1977 CYO Nationals program book. I'm sure most pics are from 1976.

northstarcyo.jpg