some old corps photos

Great photo of Memphis Blues. One of the corps that I truly miss seeing on the field. It is interesting that Memphis Blues only fielded a couple of years and yet they had a significant place in the activity.

If I recall correctly, you would see a lot of Kilties jackets after a show being worn by MBBB.

84 not so much.....that was their 50th anniversary, and guard was in gold lame tops....teh battery had gold shells.....kinda hit you over the head with it!

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot the gold lame. :worthy:

But those gold drums were the bomb.

We got new white Ludwigs that winter and were pretty happy.

Then we saw Garfields drums....

garfield_1984_snares_parade_bridgeport_450.jpeg

(pic from the web)

If I recall correctly, you would see a lot of Kilties jackets after a show being worn by MBBB.

That's because the corps founder and director (George Lindstrom) was the former Kilties' director.

Most of the staff were former Kilties with several Scouts (John Schrack, Ken Geise, Greg Jaroze for a few) thrown in.

If you change the hats, the colors and a few details, MBBB was very Scout-like. Including marching style and being crowd-oriented. (If my memory is working, there were as many as 8, maybe more, Blues members who later marched Scouts. Not bad for a corps from the South that only completed 3 seasons.)

oaklandcyo.jpg

Now there's a repertoire that bit the dust thankfully. Can you imagine Oaklands playing Feelings instead of El Gato? Peanut Vendor would have been cool though. Mark Kupiac is in the picture.

Regards,

John

Coulnd't see the pic when I was posting, El Gato was listed. Still, Feelings? Also, Harvard Stadium, complete and total break down in the OTL because of the echo. Never gonna forget that.

Edited by sarnia sam

Now there's a repertoire that bit the dust thankfully. Can you imagine Oaklands playing Feelings instead of El Gato? Peanut Vendor would have been cool though. Mark Kupiac is in the picture.

Regards,

John

Coulnd't see the pic when I was posting, El Gato was listed. Still, Feelings? Also, Harvard Stadium, complete and total break down in the OTL because of the echo. Never gonna forget that.

Hey John. I kinda remember Mark. btw the girls had a 13 song selection in 1977 of which 2 were medleys. One of the medleys was Killing Me Softly With His Song (Roberta Flack version) and Feelings. I'll also let you know our drum solo was Clear As The Driven Snow. Cool, huh ;-) Say hi to the folks in TO for me :)

LOL This guy looks a little old!

muchachoscyo.jpg

Mark Kupiac is in the picture.

Was he nicknamed "Gronk"?