some old corps photos

Re the pantsless Bridgemen: Yes, the field was a quagmire and the corps chose to perform in shorts rather than ruin the uniforms. I'm sure someone more closely connected can provide greater detail, but I seem to remember that infamous event occuring at an East coast show.

That looks to me like the Pittsfield, MA show - a field on a baseball diamond. The field is at an angle to the stands, so those sitting behind "home plate" are FAR away from the corps. This has to be the worst stadium to perform in.

Something similar happened in 87. It poured at the Pittsfield show, so the field was all mud. The show ended up an exhibition stand still. We did not wear our uniforms because they would have been ruined in the mud (half the horn line wore all white). A couple of the other corps did the same if I recall correctly.

That looks to me like the Pittsfield, MA show - a field on a baseball diamond. The field is at an angle to the stands, so those sitting behind "home plate" are FAR away from the corps. This has to be the worst stadium to perform in.

Something similar happened in 87. It poured at the Pittsfield show, so the field was all mud. The show ended up an exhibition stand still. We did not wear our uniforms because they would have been ruined in the mud (half the horn line wore all white). A couple of the other corps did the same if I recall correctly.

we had a show in 86 like that up in canada for the GLDCA championships. we chose to wear jeans, our corps jackets (not the uniform) and the helmets with plume. We pretty much looked close to our uniform that way and kept everything nice and clean.

Since I had a White jacket instead of the standard issue blue one, I swapped with the DM so he was wearing a white corps jacket and I wore his blue one. Worked out great.

Bridgemen (1979 i believe) performing without pants.

bay31979-32.jpg

Anyone from the corps want to share the info on this? I'm assuming the field was nasty and they didn't want to ruin the pants.

Aaaah yes! The 1979 Dream Contest! That show was rained out and most corps didn't perform because of the rain and the yucky field. Since our corps just got brand spanking new drums, the director decided we would sit that one out under the stands. When I saw Bridgemen take the field the crowd went nuts! Only they could have pulled off something like that so classic! :worthy:

Wow, this is a really cool shot. Thanks for sharing!

It was already posted on the previous page. I only made it a little less yellow for Malibu and then reposted it. The color was so washed out, it was a real shame. I loved that version of the Crossmen uniform.

Here you go, Malibu. This one really deserved some attention. I am sorry that I am so inexperienced at this stuff, or it would have been better. But it is a starting point. Maybe someone else can do a better job. But it is an improvement of sorts . . .

1979 Crossmen with some of the years digitally peeled away

Crossmen79.jpg

Cheers! :)

Kind of a cool story behind how I obtained the photo... I was in Long Island in December helping my sister move into her new house and I came upon some old photo albums. I spotted this photo and thought it was great! So I snatched it along with the other albums and brought them back to PA with me. She said she took it from the sidelines (she can't remember what show though). She age-out in 78, but I was still in till '80 (actually I'm the 4th person from the front in the right column of capes.)

Anyway, since I'm the composer of the CAA Newsletter I decided to use the photo as it's new header.

You can see a pdf of that newsletter here.

http://www.crossmenalumni.net/caa_news/new...s/22006News.pdf

It's a great shot!

As for the capes, it was indescribable wearing them, especially when we would get into a block and enter the stadium. Jerry Kelsey used to call it the walking in a Blood Clot. It was so powerful!

The 1979 "Wet" Dream....

Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, New Jersey

Check out a lot more here;

National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

Tony B)

You don't know the half of it! ^0^

I was partial to the 81-82 unis as well. Instead I got the cadet uni and everyone kept calling us "Garfield West."

Randy,

I'm trying like #$%# to remember you. I marched '82 - '83 VF lead sop and went on to march lead bari in '84 BD. Also in '84 I was a visual tech for Clovis HS and went to the very first rehearsal for the Dons when Mel Stratton was putting it all together. Also, went to CSU - Fresno through '88. My alzheimers has kicked in since I moved down South. We had to have hung out.

I liked the Cadet style unis. Made me feel powerful! I marched in the Aussie the year before, but really didn't have a preference. Jim Rohrer came down to my place a couple of weeks ago and mentioned a reunion. Any info?

<Sorry about the slight diversion from 'old drum corps photos'>

Edited by skluyuk

1979-21_jpg.jpg

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I believe the DM in this pic is Brett Mascaro...

kf

It could be either Brett or Jill Moyer....both were our DMs that year. Since both had about the same style of hair, it's kind of hard to tell who that is looking from the back....although Brett is taller than Jill.

It's a great shot!

As for the capes, it was indescribable wearing them, especially when we would get into a block and enter the stadium. Jerry Kelsey used to call it the walking in a Blood Clot. It was so powerful!

The best part was making Rocks at the Whitewater show! :P As many of you know, that show is notorious for killer mosquitoes the size of Wisconsin's state bird! Going on retreat was a nightmare for many corps members. You could barely see the stadium lights because of the swarm of mosquitoes flying around in the light. They would find any part of your body exposed to chow down on! We watched 27th Lancers beside us being called to attention and then giving a mark-time-mark to SCRATCH! b**bs It was a funny site but they did it with such class! :worthy: Since we weren't being spared of the biting insects, our DM told us to go down in sequential form to the ground and cover our body with our capes. The staff said it looked like red rocks from the stands! :P