• Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Bluecoats
    • Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • Spirit Of JSU
    • Other

The statements about the Cavaliers playing "soft" and "minimal" just crack me up. I know that their show was not well received by some, and that is fine. But I will have to say this.......They had the most dynamic range possible (because there were loud as crap moments and soft moments as well), they were the most in-tune corps of the summer (probably the most in-tune corps I have ever heard........but that is only speaking of listnening to corps for 15 years), their articulations were clean and precise, etc. What more can you ask for. Those guys kicked ###. The show, like I said before, may not be your favorite, but you will have to admit they played there ### off. If you heard them live this past summer, I think you will have a better sense of what I am talking about. Overtones were consistently heard in that show, which goes to show there preciseness in tuning. If you are one to take loudness (quantity of sound) over the quality of the sound, that is cool, but me personally will take quality anyday. Not to say that the other corps didn't play with quality, but I feel that Cavies played with the utmost quality this summer. And that is why they got and deserved a 99.15.

As for loudest corps, I don't know if any one corps was louder than any other this summer. Corps had loud moments like, for example, Cadets and their "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," but I don't think any stood out as louder than any other. But that could be because I marched all summer and constantly heard the same things over and over.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers "play soft and minimal" playing was a great suck up technique to the judges...whatever floats their boat.  :P

THAT was an intelligent statement...jeez

the Cavaliers this year had a wide variety of dynamic ranges....their loud was not as loud as others, but that was by design.

as least they have more dynamics that some corps, who have two volumes... "ffff" and "horns down"

NUTS

You are obviously biased towards other corps besides Cavaliers and/or have no sense of musicality and how it is included in shows. I am perfectly aware of the dynamics used in Cavies 02 show but believe differently upon what corps had and has the highest quality of playing. I am, straight up, a music person and do not like the fact that Cavies write their music based upon their drill and just do not like their style 100% of the time. If you actually listened to other corps and weren't busy getting hot dogs for yourself, you would notice the range and bone chilling level of playing that corps besides Cavies have. Cadets always have awesome technic and Blue Devils blow you away NOT just by their powerful impacts but by their ability to shape and create a enjoyable music to listen to. I'm not one of those types of people who put on a Cavies show in my stereo and rock out to it. I want something fun but also musical and certain corps can do that, which are the ones that I love.

p.s Like your statement was ANY more intelligent than mine~"two volumes...'ffff' and 'horns down'" Yeah-thats a good one buddy-I'm hurt.

Personally I dig the cavies show...I'd say it'll always be a show that sticks out in my mind...visually. It was cool musically as well, but I'm not a big fan of music to compliment drill.

However, I just wanted to add my two cents about the dynamic comment that was made... "as least they have more dynamics that some corps, who have two volumes... "ffff" and "horns down" ...HOW FREAKING TRUE IS THAT?!?! haha... I've posed it on here before...anyone can go out and play loud...it takes skill to go out and play with more than 2 dynamics!! Go Cavies, and the rest of the corps that play more that 2 dynamics as well!! lol :angry::angry::lol:

*Usual Disclaimer*

You are obviously biased towards other corps besides Cavaliers and/or have no sense of musicality and how it is included in shows. I am perfectly aware of the dynamics used in Cavies 02 show but believe differently upon what corps had and has the highest quality of playing. I am, straight up, a music person and do not like the fact that Cavies write their music based upon their drill and just do not like their style 100% of the time. If you actually listened to other corps and weren't busy getting hot dogs for yourself, you would notice the range and bone chilling level of playing that corps besides Cavies have. Cadets always have awesome technic and Blue Devils blow you away NOT just by their powerful impacts but by their ability to shape and create a enjoyable music to listen to. I'm not one of those types of people who put on a Cavies show in my stereo and rock out to it. I want something fun but also musical and certain corps can do that, which are the ones that I love.

You obviously have a right to your opinion, and for what it’s worth, here is mine.

To restate my comment over the summer, I felt that this years version of the Cavalier hornline was the best they have ever had. This coming from a guy who marched in the "lean” years including the 1977 hornline that tied for first in execution (back when there was an execution caption), second in total horns but 7th overall.

Now, also coming from the years when “Louder was Better”, I loved being in a corp that “blew the stands down”. Drum corps. just are not as loud as corps back then but for good reason. Quality, intonation, tuning and musicality are too important in today’s judging to ignore it, unless you don’t care about the judging and just want to “blow the stands down”. There were a few of these corp out there this year and honestly, there is nothing wrong with this as long as everyone understands that you are NOT going to make it into the top five if this is your number one goal.

BD was the best hornline this year. My heart goes to my brothers in green but when I heard BD’s hornline, they not only played loud “when they needed to” but played very well during the softer times in their show. Add the fact that they finally had a drill to match their music, I was VERY nervous in the stands after seeing them for the first time in Quarter Finals. They are a great example of a corp that uses “loud” within the frameworks of their show. Dynamics mean almost everything in today’s drum corps.

Now, the Cavaliers hornline may not have had that dynamic sound that BD had but I gotta tell ya, not too many corps can pull off what they did. IMHO, the middle part of their show is what brought them the high brass trophy. I think even you have to agree that they created an incredible sound and effect. But, I do agree with you in the fact that other hornlines were better as a total hornbook. Personally, I feel the last 30 seconds of the Cavaliers show was a train wreak purely because it is VERY hard playing what they were playing and literally RUNNING to their sets.

One last point, I respectfully disagree with what you said about the Cavaliers writing their horn show to fit their drill book. What the Cavaliers have done the last two years has rewritten the formula for winning. The guard work, drumline and hornline books, and drill are written together to form a “marriage” (to quote the last two finals judges on the DVD’s) or what I like to call “package” that is extremely seamless. This is apparently what the judges are looking for and I can see more and more corps trying to emulate the Cavaliers in this regard. Not that all the corps need to write original music but corps now need to focus more on integrating all three sections more closely then ever before. This, in my opinion, will take the entire activity to another level.

Guest Nuts4Corps
Cavaliers "play soft and minimal" playing was a great suck up technique to the judges...whatever floats their boat.  :P

THAT was an intelligent statement...jeez

the Cavaliers this year had a wide variety of dynamic ranges....their loud was not as loud as others, but that was by design.

as least they have more dynamics that some corps, who have two volumes... "ffff" and "horns down"

NUTS

p.s Like your statement was ANY more intelligent than mine~"two volumes...'ffff' and 'horns down'" Yeah-thats a good one buddy-I'm hurt.

Did I say anything about BD or Cadets?

I dont think I did...

NUTS

sorry, i think Cavies deserved high brass without a doubt. they had a beautifully blended and balanced line this year, with phenomenal tone and resonance. i thought BD had a few rough passages this year iwth the high brass, particularly in Ive Got Rhythm and House of the Rising Sun. You could just hear EVERY layer in the cavies brass book so well, its awesome!

I am, straight up, a music person and do not like the fact that Cavies write their music based upon their drill and just do not like their style 100% of the time.

Just so you know, EVERY corps in the top 12 arranges their music (to an extent) to

accomodate something in the drill. Phrases will be extended, or manipulated from

its original idea to help create a visual effect. The Cavaliers, contrary to popular belief,

do NOT write their drill first and then write the music to fit the drill. They do what

everyone else does...the brass and percussion arrangers sit down with the visual

designer during the winter and they sketch out how the show will be paced, what

kinds of visual and musical impacts will take place, and plot out a course to best

make that happen. And like every other corps out there, the visual designer makes

his comments that will help shape the musical program to coordinate with what's

going on visually. Yes, the Cavaliers have had an unbelievable visual program in

the last several years. However, it is the coordination of their musical and visual

programs that has really pushed them over the top.